Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 7,635 times

Advertisements

My fiance recently accepted a job with SECO and we are planning to relocate to that area in about 4 weeks, maybe sooner. From the research I have done so far, the 34711 area of Clermont is the preferred place to live. We have the option of moving to Groveland, Eustis, Mt Dora, Winter Garden, etc. However, unless there is a compelling argument against Clermont, I believe that is where we are headed. Any opinions/advice in this area would be appreciated.

Also, we are a very active couple. Are there close by lakes that offer more than bass fishing? How many have boat ramps? (I only found 1) What about wakeboarding, water skiing, tubing? My grandparents have a house on Lake Weir, but I was hoping for something a little closer. We are looking into getting a small Hobie Cat as well; where would we sail?

Thanks again for any input & additional info you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiDee7 View Post
My fiance recently accepted a job with SECO and we are planning to relocate to that area in about 4 weeks, maybe sooner. From the research I have done so far, the 34711 area of Clermont is the preferred place to live. We have the option of moving to Groveland, Eustis, Mt Dora, Winter Garden, etc. However, unless there is a compelling argument against Clermont, I believe that is where we are headed. Any opinions/advice in this area would be appreciated.

Also, we are a very active couple. Are there close by lakes that offer more than bass fishing? How many have boat ramps? (I only found 1) What about wakeboarding, water skiing, tubing? My grandparents have a house on Lake Weir, but I was hoping for something a little closer. We are looking into getting a small Hobie Cat as well; where would we sail?

Thanks again for any input & additional info you may have!
I've lived in Clermont for going on 10 years, and would choose it over the other areas you mention, unless you have a specific reason to be in one of the others. Lake Minneola is one of the largest lakes in the area and has a public boat launch. It is no more than 10 minutes from pretty much anywhere in 34711. From Lake Minneola you can get to any of the waterways and lakes on the Chain of Lakes. http://myfriendslakehouse.com/clermont_chain_map.pdf

All of those activites are available on Lake Minneola.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the advice! There is no specific reason to live elsewhere; it seems that Clermont is centrally located to everything we take interest in and offers nice, affordable housing. I also appreciate you sharing that map! That will be very useful once we get up there. I have never been on Lake Minneola, but the house we are considering for rent is very close & it's sounding more and more like a perfect fit. I am very excited to check it out! I'm sure I will have more questions as we get closer to leaving, if you don't mind. Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:06 PM

Any opinions on the subdivision Preston Cove? It's just south of Lake Minnehaha.. unfortunately we won't be able to make it there to explore ourselves before the move. We have done some research; crime stats and the likes, toured the area on google Earth, etc.. but it is always helpful to get local knowledge if available!

Last edited by NikkiDee7; 06-11-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 PM

147 posts, read 211,917 times
The Clermont area is a beautiful area. It is one of the few parts of Florida that actually has some rolling hills! It is also not near as high in traffic as other towns getting closer to Orlando. My mother-in-law lived near Lake Louisa for quite some time and really loved living there. Lake Louisa State Park is really nice. My daughter actually lives in Clermont now, though further down 27 near 192 (she works at Disney). Lake Minnehaha is part of the chain of lakes so it would definitely give you the water recreation you are looking for. I do have to say Mt. Dora is a highly raved area and would be worth your time to check it out. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Tonya

Old 06-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiDee7 View Post
Any opinions on the subdivision Preston Cove? It's just south of Lake Minnehaha.. unfortunately we won't be able to make it there to explore ourselves before the move. We have done some research; crime stats and the likes, toured the area on google Earth, etc.. but it is always helpful to get local knowledge if available!
I am not familiar with that specific neighborhood, but have friends in surrounding communities (Lake Susan Landing, Osprey Pointe, etc.) and they are very happy. The only caveat is that they are not in the city limits of Clermont so you don't have some of the amenities offered to City residents and are zoned for so-so South Lake HS as opposed to the "A" rated East Ridge HS.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:48 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Clermont is great if you have school kids, but it is nor rural per say, but close. 2 Walmarts, the basic stores, ( JCPenn etc) and not much else/ one movie theater , one hospital. It is not the city but a sprawl off Disney-- I'd pick Celebration.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 PM

There are quite a few stores here. Sporting goods (Dick's, Hibbits, Epic Cycles) fine jewelry (Village Goldsmith, Pittman), department stores (Belk, JC Penney), discount stores (Kohl's, Target, WalMart, TJ Maxx, Ross), Crafts (Hobby Lobby, Michaels), Office Supplies (Office Depot, Staples), the list goes on and on.

There are plenty of activities in downtown Clermont as well.

Come look around 34711 and you'll see suburbia with a sense of community. 34714 is full of tourists and just a continuing sprawl from Disney.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:02 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
yea I really think that Clermont needs to set up and divide a new city parameter or city line. Just stop at that car-wash and let south of that be a another town named "Dislania". There is a huge difference between those two areas. Least people then would know what to expect when moving here.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I am not familiar with that specific neighborhood, but have friends in surrounding communities (Lake Susan Landing, Osprey Pointe, etc.) and they are very happy. The only caveat is that they are not in the city limits of Clermont so you don't have some of the amenities offered to City residents and are zoned for so-so South Lake HS as opposed to the "A" rated East Ridge HS.

We do not have any kids at this point in time, so the schools are not a huge factor. If that changes, we are only renting for a year to start and can always relocate. Which amenities will we be missing out on? Anything significant enough (for a one year period) that will affect our enjoyment of living there? Lake Susan Landing is directly across the street, so thank you! Sometimes a nice neighborhood can be spoiled by the surrounding areas so I am happy to hear that! We DO not want to live in a heavy tourist area. As far as the shopping goes, we are moving from Key West; so Clermont is guaranteed to offer more than we have now. A 30/45 minute drive to Orlando if needed doesn't sound so bad compared to a 3 hour drive to the mainland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando