Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 05:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headedforhawaii View Post
We moved into Dr. Phillips last month from NJ and love it. We were lucky and bought a small vacation condo 2 years ago at a great price. As for the people here I've experienced good and bad just like the cities in NJ. However here the drivers are worse, and there are very dangerous intersections and dangerous turning lanes that would never be allowed in NJ.

I guess I'm still in a honeymoon phase, but I've been on these boards the past few years and I've read the good with the bad. We moved here with our 4 year old and put him in a private school in Windermere. The money I've saved on property taxes pays for it. We are close to everything and there is so much to do.

I moved out of NJ for all the same reasons you want to move out of Ohio.

We are in our 40s and didn't have any friends in NJ. We don't expect to have any close friends here, if we end up making some then great, if not that's fine too. We are friendly with neighbors and people at the YMCA and in the community.

We have our own business and have greatly reduced our expenditures. The move was planned carefully. My advice to you is do it, just make sure you have a great area picked out and that you have a job or some money saved to get you started.

Personally I really like gated condo living in Doctor Phillips. Some people on this board say the gates are useless, but for me it is a necessity, especially in Orlando. It provides another level of security as long as it's a good gate and good system. I heard there are gates that let in several cars at a time, they are useless. Guarded gates are the best but your HOA fees will be very high.

I read about the crime every day and map where it is and when and why it happens. Mostly it seems to be domestic, drug or gang related, robberies, or planned home invasions. I also keep a check on any registered sex offenders in the area, they can be easily found online. Crime can happen anywhere, so we take precautions that we would normally take in any city. When it happens in DP or Windermere like it did this year it's big news, because this area usually has a low murder rate. Unfortunately two police officers lost their lives this year in this area.

Anyway if you have a ton of money Isleworth, Lake Butler or Keene's Point in Windermere are really nice for houses, but you might complain about the drive back to Doctor Phillips to go to Whole Foods and soon a Trader Joes!

So why do people move out? I have no freakin idea! The only place better to me is Hawaii.

Your old neighbors maybe?

Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headedforhawaii View Post
We moved into Dr. Phillips last month from NJ and love it. We were lucky and bought a small vacation condo 2 years ago at a great price. As for the people here I've experienced good and bad just like the cities in NJ. However here the drivers are worse, and there are very dangerous intersections and dangerous turning lanes that would never be allowed in NJ.

I guess I'm still in a honeymoon phase, but I've been on these boards the past few years and I've read the good with the bad. We moved here with our 4 year old and put him in a private school in Windermere. The money I've saved on property taxes pays for it. We are close to everything and there is so much to do.

I moved out of NJ for all the same reasons you want to move out of Ohio.

We are in our 40s and didn't have any friends in NJ. We don't expect to have any close friends here, if we end up making some then great, if not that's fine too. We are friendly with neighbors and people at the YMCA and in the community.

We have our own business and have greatly reduced our expenditures. The move was planned carefully. My advice to you is do it, just make sure you have a great area picked out and that you have a job or some money saved to get you started.

Personally I really like gated condo living in Doctor Phillips. Some people on this board say the gates are useless, but for me it is a necessity, especially in Orlando. It provides another level of security as long as it's a good gate and good system. I heard there are gates that let in several cars at a time, they are useless. Guarded gates are the best but your HOA fees will be very high.

I read about the crime every day and map where it is and when and why it happens. Mostly it seems to be domestic, drug or gang related, robberies, or planned home invasions. I also keep a check on any registered sex offenders in the area, they can be easily found online. Crime can happen anywhere, so we take precautions that we would normally take in any city. When it happens in DP or Windermere like it did this year it's big news, because this area usually has a low murder rate. Unfortunately two police officers lost their lives this year in this area.

Anyway if you have a ton of money Isleworth, Lake Butler or Keene's Point in Windermere are really nice for houses, but you might complain about the drive back to Doctor Phillips to go to Whole Foods and soon a Trader Joes!

So why do people move out? I have no freakin idea! The only place better to me is Hawaii.

In like a matter of weeks, not even near a full yr. Plus a few other ppl killed (bad guys). So yeah, that area has kinda surprised me a bit.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I wonder if people in Florida are healthier? I'm saying I'm a SUN fan- and was always sick when I lived in the north as an adult. As a kid in the snow of PA Id leave in the am n return at 6 for dinner, don't NOT know how I didn't freeze in those snowball fights. Anyhow vita D is extremely important and just wondering.

Considering I just had some pre-cancerous cells removed from my body and know several other who have too, I'm gonna say NO, FL is not the best place for health reasons.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Ah, EditorJul ... you are in the honeymoon phase of living in Orlando. My wife and I were in that phase at one time until we realized that all that glitters with sunshine is not gold.

All of the things you mention above are present and accounted for in Orlando. You're dreaming if you don't think there are drinkers, smokers, folks on meds, dirty schools, fat people, junk food in Orlando. Someone who works at home in DC would not have to deal with the "rat race" - same as staying off I-4 at rush hour.

If you think 535 is a great place to bike with your kids, good luck to you. Traffic routinely exceeds 60-70 mph in stretches and I've seen many a driver off that road into a retaining wall or a ditch. My daughter rode only in our neighborhood in a 25mph zone. Too many driving texters and distracted drivers to ride on a main road like 535 ...

Oh, plenty of folks would disagree about wine being "nasty stuff". Hope your honeymoon lasts forever ...

Yea that ars ux for driving, as does all of Orlando really. Little more civil is Winter Springs and Oviedo. I saw a guy driving down the sidewalk in that 535 area, close to the Fire Dept and the restaurants... forgot what road that is.... oh well... it is what it is I've learned.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Chatted with a newcomer from SC.

"I moved here 3 months ago from NY and so far have no complaints. I have only come across sweet and friendly people so far. I lived in the middle part of SC once for 2 years and came across nothing but NY haters, so this is a pleasant change for me, I don't get that at all here!"
Good, sounds like I need to be n the middle of SC. Of course, being from NY, I'm sure she never threw that in the locals faces.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 PM

782 posts, read 1,369,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Yea that ars ux for driving, as does all of Orlando really. Little more civil is Winter Springs and Oviedo. I saw a guy driving down the sidewalk in that 535 area, close to the Fire Dept and the restaurants... forgot what road that is.... oh well... it is what it is I've learned.
I'm totally terrified of being attacked by a rogue chicken in Oviedo. Seriously, those things have claws and peck…*shudder* The only good chicken is a nugget.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 PM

I'll take my chances with chickens over ppl driving on sidewalks b/c they are impatient *sigh*.

Driving in FL sux, period, really. Unless you're in rural / civil area.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 PM

SH,

I thought SURELY that FL was friendliest. NC has 2nd most votes, tied with GA? Surely not. //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...st-people.html

Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 PM

782 posts, read 1,369,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'll take my chances with chickens over ppl driving on sidewalks b/c they are impatient *sigh*.

Driving in FL sux, period, really. Unless you're in rural / civil area.

Even in the rural areas, driving is miserable…just a different type of misery. Not sure if it is just a Florida thing or after spending so much of my life behind the wheel for the past couple decades that I have no fahrvergnügen left. Weren't we promised self-driving cars by now??

Old 08-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Was in Charlotte last wk and much more pleasant than even smaller areas in FL. Different ppl, different mannerisms and attitudes I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando