Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 07:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Not only is it possible, I can attest to it. When I arrived in Orlando in 88 we found the mannerisms of most people to be genuinely friendly, kind and thoughtful of others. For me, coming from NYC, it was total culture shock but I quickly adopted. Certainly by 2000 it was gone. People became more difficult to deal with. Poor attitudes shined through. People became more "me" oriented. There was some of the old way around but it really became rare. You'd only find it in long established stores and shops.

The character of our society has changed a great deal over the decades.

I find that people in cities have less of a friendly attitude than those in small towns. A few years ago we were heading west on SR 50 out of Orlando and we were in the Winter Garden/Ocoee area. I stopped at one of our favorite fried chicken chain stores. The attitude of the clerk was shocking. I hadnt been told to
"enjoy your food, have a nice day and come back and see us again soon" in a long time and it was very noticeable and refreshing.

Even though most of Spring Hill people are from elsewhere and a great deal of them from NYC I still do see a glimpse of civility in my day to day dealings. I believe one of the reasons for that is you see the same people all the time and they see you all the time. If you're a pleasant person they will be pleasant with you, a nice greeting and some chatter become everyday. Come off as a moron and you will be quickly dismissed.

In cities you don't always deal with the same people all the time so interaction becomes minimal. The added stresses of city life also degrade personalities.

LOL, Winter Garden is not the same anymore either.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:43 PM

782 posts, read 1,369,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
It would be interesting to speak with you after you've got about 10 years of Orlando under your belt.
The first time I moved into the Orlando area was back around 2000 and I left in 2002, so it has been a little more than 10 years until I moved back this time around. My impressions this time around is that it is MUCH nicer here now than it was when I first moved down, but a lot of that has to do with the SES I'm at, and where in the Orlando area I'm living. (Last time I was down around the airport and then briefly on the outskirts of Hunter's Creek.) During the time I was around, the fallout from 9/11 hitting the tourist industry really changed the tenor of the area where I was living, and while people in the area were polite, there was also a bit of stress-edge to folks' lives. My immediate circle of friends were either not in the hospitality industry or were in certain hospitality positions where they weren't concerned about their next paycheck, so they were still great folks to hang with, but I did notice a difference with things like going to the grocery store or out to restaurants.

Overall, some places around here are nice…those are the places where I live, and work, and socialize, and enjoy recreation opportunities, and dine, and shop, and so on. Other places don't sound as nice, so I don't even bother to drive through them (except when I'm picking up the AutoTrain).

When my husband and I started making our plans to move down here, I told him outright that there were many places I wouldn't want to move in Florida. I absolutely ruled out places like my ol' stomping grounds in Broward County, the whole Tampa-St. Pete corridor, anywhere in the panhandle, and Jacksonville. Many of the statements about how Orlando is bring up the issues I have with those places. Locally, we ruled out some places based on our SES, and then we also ruled out Polk County because there's a certain level of wacky down there that is funny to watch, but less ideal to live in. Even doing that, we still had a half dozen large areas on the map where we saw potential, and then drove around to find what was the best mesh for us. I firmly believe that not everyone should move to where we are, or move to Florida in general. Then again, there's many places where I know that my husband, daughter, and I would not be welcome because of who and what we are (race, religion, SES, political leanings, etc.).

Because I haven't spent any time in some states, I'm curious if the folks who are very much loving the vibe of NC and GA also feel that the same vibe exists in MS, AL, and AR? I would think they would be more likely to preserve the culture that folks are talking about wanting far longer than areas where there's urban creep going on.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 PM

226 posts, read 810,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
SH,

I thought SURELY that FL was friendliest. NC has 2nd most votes, tied with GA? Surely not. //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...st-people.html
Oh come on. Common Sense tells me that internet vote is really not representative.

100 votes, for 50 states, by simple statistic distribution means each state should get 2 votes or more/less depending on population weight. But then again, this is such a small sample size to really make any value out of it. A person can have multiple accounts on CityData and all it takes were a few to skew the polls.

Anyway, I have some observations on Orlando school that really troubles me. I have tried calling a school multiple times and could not get hold of anyone to answer some simple questions. I also sent email to principal and assistants and so far not hearing anything back.

I also have similar experience last week with another school with 1 simple Q with Yes/No answer, and the principal could not even bother to type it out, and just paste a WRONG link to ask me to read it up. Boy, I finally get to the right website myself and there were too much information to filter down to get to my answer. Have to re-email and finally got the simple Yes answer. All the while, those on the email CC list (besides principal) never bothered to reply me.

Mind you, these are Excellent rated schools in Orlando.

Let me contrast my other 2 experiences dealing with my current Ohio school, and the other in Tampa 1 year ago when I almost relocated. My current school, whether it was in school year or out, the superintendent and principal always responded within half a day. Yes, half day. The experience with Tampa school, they took over 1 day, but many on the CC list would replied to me and tried going out of their way to feed me local information, about demographic distribution + real estate + schools.

But so far I have yet to see such competency or "friendliness" in Orlando schools. I know my sample size is small and subjected to bias, but I hope this is not the "typical" thing in Orlando.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
It was a joke, I was totally kidding when I said surely FL would be voted most friendliest.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:42 AM

226 posts, read 810,814 times
Does anyone know any kids in grade 2 or higher (middle, high school) in Windermere, Winter Garden, Dr Phillips, or Winter Park? I am looking at great schools around Orlando, and I was told even these best schools have minimal homework!

No homework every Friday through weekend is typical for elementary! Wow ... what should the kids do then?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 PM

20 posts, read 26,811 times
Hi,
I am just browsing the FL forum and just notice your post.
We relocated from Dublin, OH to Winter Garden, FL 1.5 years ago due to job.

My three kids used to attend Dublin, OH schools.
I would say that overall the quality of education is much better in Dublin, OH compared to Winter Garden, FL.
I am not saying that the Winter Garden, FL schools are not good.
In a relative term, given a choice I would rather have my kids attend Dublin, OH schools compared to Winter Garden, FL school e.g. quality of education, parent teacher interaction, school support and programs.
I am planning to send my kids to private school as they grow older and if my economic situation allow.
That is just my personal opinion as I grew up in Dublin, OH myself.

I am not Asian. However, I used to send my kids to Chinese schools in Columbus, OH previously to learn different language and culture in the weekend.
The Chinese schools in Columbus, OH has more options and are much bigger compared to the one in Orlando, FL.

Also, the weather in Florida can be too hot and humid at times.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 AM

565 posts, read 1,254,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I can name a few:

- Traffic and chaos getting around:
For such a relatively small city, traffic is a nightmare. Unlike most other cities with traffic issues, there really is no way around it, here. Public transit is near non-existant, and everything requires extensive driving. Which leads to the next point:

- Uncontrolled Urban sprawl:
Everything is scattered around at pretty far distances. It is very common for folks to have to drive 30+ miles one way to work, and then another 30 miles in the opposite direction to pick your kids up from school. Don't have a reliable car? Good luck.

- Pay rates:
Engineers (except for senior engineers) make $40-$60k/year. That's absurd.
Police officers average around the same as the guys changing your tires and oil at the tire shop.
Unless you're a health professional (Not talking CNAs or that kind, but more like MDs and NPs) the job market is terrible. The service and tourist industries are most prominent, and we all know how well those pay.

- Weather:
Think warm winters are nice? Well, these "warm" winters only last about 4 months. The rest of the year, it is disgustingly hot and humid outside, with heat indexes constantly reaching 110 degrees. And no, the temperature does not drop much at night. Add your power bill to that, from constantly having to have the AC on at full blast. Do you like $300+ monthly utility bills year round?
Also, Sunshine State? Think again. During the summer months (again, some 7 to 8 months of the year) at around 3PM, you will experience Doomsday; this phenomenon that occurs where the skies turn black and God unleashes oceans from the skies upon us. Every. Single. Day.

- Wildlife:
This may seem like a nice thing at first. I love birdwatching, and Florida in general is great for that. However, you WILL have snakes in your yard... The deadly ones. You WILL run into alligators practically everywhere. You WILL constantly get attacked by poisonous bugs.
The nearby beaches are nice, but there are always reports of bacterial infections (again, deadly) from the warm saltwaters, and the lakes are known to contain brain-eating amoebas, large water moccasins, and again, alligators. Doesn't stop locals (like myself) from enjoying the waters once in a while, but there are pretty high risks involved. Not to mention, the Atlantic Coast east of Orlando is shark-infested.

- Crime:
I guess it's gotten better over the years, but most of Orange County is rather intimidating. Drive around, make a few stops. You'll see.

I live in Orlando. I have lived here since 2002. Moved from an urban, Northern environment. Will I move? Unlikely, as I have made my bed here. It's not a TERRIBLE place to live if you can make the most out of certain situations, and if you can find employment outside of the service and tourism industries. But it's definitely nothing fantastic either. Basically, every reason that one may have to WANT to move to Orlando will soon turn into a reason to want to move OUT.

P.S., locals don't go to Disney or Universal much at all. We'd rather get away from the chaos there. Smaller, but very enjoyable attractions include the two Fun Spot locations, and if you want to venture out a little, Busch Gardens in Tampa (VERY few tourists out there.)
Just WOW. You obviously find everything wrong with where you live. And when you move somewhere else, look at all that's wrong there, too. I moved here two years ago and love it. If you dislike Florida so, maybe you should have researched the area ahead of time. If you did and moved anyway, it's your own fault for moving to an area with qualities you hate so much.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
Just WOW. You obviously find everything wrong with where you live. And when you move somewhere else, look at all that's wrong there, too. I moved here two years ago and love it. If you dislike Florida so, maybe you should have researched the area ahead of time. If you did and moved anyway, it's your own fault for moving to an area with qualities you hate so much.
What the heck? I posted reasons people find to move out. As in: answering the original question.
Clearly, these "issues" don't bother me that much, since I still live here, I own a house here, I have a career here, and I chose to raise my kids here.
Everything? No. If there was a thread asking "reasons why people move to Orlando/Florida," I would answer with the complete opposite tone. I wouldn't post reasons why people hate Orlando in a thread asking why we love it here.

But thanks for the stupid post.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 PM

20 posts, read 46,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
Now why we want to leave Ohio -- as usual, long harsh winter, not many choices of authentic food, nothing to do in Ohio, lack of sunshine, higher income tax. We don't mind the heat & humidity of 90s, as we are used to it -- Worst case, we just go out in early morning, or enjoy the late evening when sun sets during June-Aug. We probably would buy Disney/Seaworld/Waterpark annual passes for our weekly entertainment, plus escape to Tampa beach once in a blue moon. I know Ohio probably has one of the highest property tax in the nation, say $400K house in best schools would cost me $8k ~ $10k per year. So I would not be shocked by Orlando tax.
I left Ohio because of the long harsh winters as well. I was tired of sitting in the house 5 months a year because it was too cold to go outside. I moved to Orlando, & spent 11 1/2 months indoors because it was too hot and muggy to go outside!
You can entertain yourself indoors by caulking every crack in the house to keep the ants & bugs from coming in & changing your A/C filters...
You never get used to the humidity, You can deal with it but never get used to it. Central Florida has horrible humidity. It's slightly lower by the coast. I also lived in Bradenton/Sarasota area & the humidity was bearable, central Fl not so much.
Your insurance will go up, A $400k home in Ohio Is a $600k home in FL and you'll still be near crime.
Winterpark is overpriced & surrounded by crime.

I lived in Florida for a total of 8 years, 1 1/2 years in Orlando. It wasn't for me.
Crime was too high. I subscribed to a crime watch website that would email me everyday when a crime happened near my home & It was downright scarey to see everyday. (& I lived in a decent neighborhood by Florida standards)

car insurance cost was too high, roughly 150% higher than NE Ohio
Too hot, all year long.....
Too humid, all year long....
Too many bugs, giant bugs...
No scenery, lack of hills/mountains. except for ant hills
Rude people, most didn't even speak english
lack of ethnic restaurants. Unless you like Cuban/Mexican. Spanish food is all of the same ingredients prepared different ways.

Toll roads everywhere. Get a Sunpass... I paid about $100 a month just to commute around Orlando.
A/C runs 24/7. Your windows will never be open.
electric bills were 400% higher than what I paid in Ohio, partially because of the AC
Water bill was 300% higher. Not sure why? you can dig three ft down and find water anywhere in Fl.
Rain every single day in the summer. which helps to cool it off for maybe 15 mins or so, then it gets twice as humid.
Mold growing on everything including your car.
you'll have to pay someone to power wash your home to get the green mold off. It's too hot outside to do it yourself.
Buy a house with a small yard, it's too hot to cut grass for hrs. Hire a landscaper, if you have a nice lawn it will need to be cut twice a week. There is no soil, just sand. it's almost impossible to have a nice lawn in Florida. The "nice" grass in Fl is what we Ohioans call "crab grass". We kill crab grass.

fleas, sugar ants, and palmetto bugs (**** roaches) everywhere. ALL year round...
Fire ants are everywhere, Don't walk barefoot on your lawn.
Too hot to cook indoors, to hot to cook outdoors.
any opened food must go straight into the fridge or into a sealed container, or a big ant invasion will take place while you sleep.
Learn spanish & carry a gun.
You'll never want to cook comfort foods like a pot of chilli, or anything hot for that matter. It's too hot to, plus you lose that change of season chill in the air where you want to sit around a fire & sip on hot chocolate. Instead you be sitting in front of a fan eating salad & drinking Iced tea.

These are my reasons for leaving Florida.

After 30 years in Ohio I moved to Fl without doing any research (yes, my fault) I experienced to above^^^ and Now I'm happy to back up north to enjoy the weather & change of seasons.

Good luck, we all like different things.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:41 AM

782 posts, read 1,369,536 times
Wow Jack_Russell -- it really sounds like you picked the wrong part of town to live in and got a pretty skeezy rental unit. Everything you mention is my experience living in DC, not in Florida, but glad you've found a place where you belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando