Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:44 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times

Advertisements

Florida went through a bad housing bust and those other states were not affected as much as here since they weren't haven't 800 people day move to their states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 05:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I guess the banks like to keep them on their books -they are so slow to deal with them- they have enough money for manpower to clear through the paperwork in a decent time line and the courts not as crowded as they used to be. Foreclosures bring down the market, the neighborhood, as the home deteriorates it loses value...no tax is collected- makes no sense
Makes 100% sense from the bank perspective. First thing is the bank does not care if the house goes down in value, because the stupid government guaranteed payment anyway. From the banks point of view why not loan someone money even if they know that person will not pay it back. . The bank will keep it on the books until it is not worth writing it off anymore and then dump it and then call the government and collect the money.. Government interference caused 100% of the problem.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:21 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
21 other states use the judicial process as well, so it's not really a non-news event if we're still at the top of the heap in one of those states....
FL has a bigger population than many of those states and also had more of a runup in both housing prices and construction prior to the bust. Again, this should not be a surprise if you know these facts.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:46 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
FL has a bigger population than many of those states and also had more of a runup in both housing prices and construction prior to the bust. Again, this should not be a surprise if you know these facts.
Except for the fact the "runup in housing prices and construction" went belly up nearly 8 years ago. There's no sign of letting up in terms of foreclosures, and consumer spending/disposable income in this area are still way down (ask pretty much any small business owner still around)...so it's not really as pretty as you homers would love to portray. And no, it's not like this everywhere.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I guess it's tough cookies for those who cant afford to pay their mortgages. They should have stayed as renters instead. What they would do if they were renters facing the same income problems is beyond me.

I wonder how many of the foreclosures are people who have a sour grapes attitude. They paid too much for the property and now they want out.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I guess it's tough cookies for those who cant afford to pay their mortgages. They should have stayed as renters instead. What they would do if they were renters facing the same income problems is beyond me.

I wonder how many of the foreclosures are people who have a sour grapes attitude. They paid too much for the property and now they want out.
Hindsight is 20/20 and armchair critiquing provides little credible insight into the realities...

Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I don't know but I would think most home owners are not happy they lost their homes. that's a lot of effort and upkeep, down payments, repairs and dreams down the toilet. Also the way homelessness has risen- not sure people are happy about it at all. Got to walk in their shoes my friend- BUT-there are some that I read that they quickly bought a better more expensive home that foreclosed down the street, for lower mtg than they paid on their present house--then would let their home go. --I heard that was happening in CA with peeps who qualified for those 2 mtgs. at the same time?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:43 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20 and armchair critiquing provides little credible insight into the realities...
true, but there is nothing that is going to change the reality. Once the bomb has been dropped there is no calling it back. The situation is not reversible. It is a great lesson to future home buyers. Perhaps they will be more prudent and educated about how adjustable rate mortgages are.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:35 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
It doesn't take a genius to know a person making $40k can't afford a $750k home. People were greedy plain and simple and that applies to BOTH the borrower and the loan officer.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I guess the banks like to keep them on their books -they are so slow to deal with them- they have enough money for manpower to clear through the paperwork in a decent time line and the courts not as crowded as they used to be. Foreclosures bring down the market, the neighborhood, as the home deteriorates it loses value...no tax is collected- makes no sense
Not really. I have two foreclosures in my neighborhood. In both cases the owners are still living in the homes and maintaining them. When there has been an empty foreclosure, the bank has maintained it. Our HOA lawyers get after them on day one to keep the lawn up. We also don't waive delinquent dues. We lien and the bank needs to pay them to get clear title to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando