Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 AM

81 posts, read 270,424 times

Advertisements

everyone seems to talk about how bad orlando is and how much crime there is , is it really that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonman View Post
everyone seems to talk about how bad orlando is and how much crime there is , is it really that bad?
YES!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
No worst than any other metro area in Florida or the country for that matter. Look past the doom sayers on this forum. Although there is some truth to what they say, often times they are just over exaggerating and sound like some very bitter people. It's Florida, kick back and enjoy the sun! Think about it, if it were really that bad why are we the third most populous state and visited by millions and millions more each year. Is there a consumer demographic that walks into the travel agency and say "yes I would love a vacation to the worse place on earth. And please make sure I'll be likely to be robbed or assaulted. And no charm, character or culture either, that would just ruin my vacation." Highly doubt it! So there must be something to this miserable state and miserable city of ours. I apologize for being so cynical but I'm just sick of people so venomously criticizing the place I call home.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM

169 posts, read 655,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
No worst than any other metro area in Florida or the country for that matter. Look past the doom sayers on this forum. Although there is some truth to what they say, often times they are just over exaggerating and sound like some very bitter people. It's Florida, kick back and enjoy the sun! Think about it, if it were really that bad why are we the third most populous state and visited by millions and millions more each year. Is there a consumer demographic that walks into the travel agency and say "yes I would love a vacation to the worse place on earth. And please make sure I'll be likely to be robbed or assaulted. And no charm, character or culture either, that would just ruin my vacation." Highly doubt it! So there must be something to this miserable state and miserable city of ours. I apologize for being so cynical but I'm just sick of people so venomously criticizing the place I call home.

Just because you call it home doesn't make it right. People call trailer parks home, prisons, alleys, under bridges, trash compactors, etc.,,, And no all areas are not equally alike. I've lived in seven metro areas and none of the remotely come close to being this bad.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonman View Post

Well 3 murders in the first 3 days of the new year it`s not a good start I can say that.

Roxy Nightclub Dispute Leads To One Dead, Two Injured - News Story - WFTV Orlando

There are worse metros than orlando try detroit or new orleans.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
Just because you call it home doesn't make it right. People call trailer parks home, prisons, alleys, under bridges, trash compactors, etc.,,, And no all areas are not equally alike. I've lived in seven metro areas and none of the remotely come close to being this bad.
People who live in prison, alleys, under bridges and...trash compactors??? do not choose to live there. Unfortunatly circumstances put them there. People who move to Central Florida and call it home voluntarily chose to live here. Even those who came for work, family, etc are not stuck in Central Florida, they have the ability to relocate. You've lived in seven other areas, if you hate it so much here why do you stay here? You know at least 6 other areas that are better than here. You seem more than intelligent enough to save up and relocate, why do you keep punishing yourself here?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
As most places, living here is completely different than vacationing here. The reason crime has skyrocketed is because poverty is on the rise and the wages have not kept up while corporate people continue to get good bonuses for not paying their employees well. Thats what happens when most of your jobs are tourism based. During the busy season we make some decent money, but when slow season comes it is very difficult to make ends meet. Most likely you will have a new boss every few months. Good luck finding any good, quiet normal neighbors, too. Thats how it is here and has been for a long time. 3 murders to start off the year is not a good thing also. So yes it is that bad. BTW I been here almost 12 years.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:46 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,469 times
Exactly right Noodles! Living here is WAY different than vacationing here. Especially Orlando...most people are masked by the air over at the MouseHouse and the 417 drive over.

Bottom line any area that is heavily transient, plus has the level of diversity as Orlando, and creates an "attraction of live here" like Orlando does can become a bedlam of crap like Orlando has.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 AM

169 posts, read 655,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
People who live in prison, alleys, under bridges and...trash compactors??? do not choose to live there. Unfortunatly circumstances put them there. People who move to Central Florida and call it home voluntarily chose to live here. Even those who came for work, family, etc are not stuck in Central Florida, they have the ability to relocate. You've lived in seven other areas, if you hate it so much here why do you stay here? You know at least 6 other areas that are better than here. You seem more than intelligent enough to save up and relocate, why do you keep punishing yourself here?
I'm not here by choice, my ex wife moved here with my son, and I came him with an open mind and was completely fooled by what I thought it would be like here (based on 2 trips to Disney World) and what a truly dismal place it is on every level. I didn't pick it so I don't have to defend it. People all the time do or say or believe things to cope with their miserable situation, and it is not human nature to admit that one is wrong. So the realists tell it like it is and the rest try to defend what deep down they know is not defendable. You cannot take anyone who has ever been to any other city to downtown Orlando and make any argument at all that it has anything to offer. The crime figures are real and cannot be compared to much smaller pockets in other cities. This city is overrun with crime and low elements who came here because they visited Disney World and thought they would get a good job and a cheap house. What developed was a nightmare of urban sprawl, with nothing but chain restaurants, price gauging, and band box cookie cutter homes that are now completely unaffordable. Almost any other area offers much more for less. For example, name another city in Florida with this many tolls?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
I'm not here by choice, my ex wife moved here with my son, and I came him with an open mind and was completely fooled by what I thought it would be like here (based on 2 trips to Disney World) and what a truly dismal place it is on every level. I didn't pick it so I don't have to defend it. People all the time do or say or believe things to cope with their miserable situation, and it is not human nature to admit that one is wrong. So the realists tell it like it is and the rest try to defend what deep down they know is not defendable. You cannot take anyone who has ever been to any other city to downtown Orlando and make any argument at all that it has anything to offer. The crime figures are real and cannot be compared to much smaller pockets in other cities. This city is overrun with crime and low elements who came here because they visited Disney World and thought they would get a good job and a cheap house. What developed was a nightmare of urban sprawl, with nothing but chain restaurants, price gauging, and band box cookie cutter homes that are now completely unaffordable. Almost any other area offers much more for less. For example, name another city in Florida with this many tolls?
I'm not here to defend Orlando since I do fully intend to leave before I start a family. However, some of the things you're saying simply doesn't reflect the true nature of the town. It's not a bad place to live while focusing on a career and building assets, unless you're used to things on a grander scale in other much larger cities. For someone who's lived in major cities like NYC, LA, SF, Toronto, London, Tokyo, Chicago, Dallas.. Orlando is definitely going to seem boring outside of Disney. However, for the many newcomers who are used to very small town life, and their idea of a large town is the nearest Gainesville-like city, Orlando appears huge with much to do. Parks downtown, slick wine bars like Lake Eola's or Park Ave's in Winter Park, the Improv, quite a few bars and clubs downtown of different shapes and sizes, a vastly improved NBA team, arena football, a few colleges, some very tasty restaurants (from California Grill in Disney to Sand Lake's Amura and Seasons 52 to Winter Park's Luma or Pannulo's to Lake Eola's Hue), high end shopping at Millenia, I-4 attractions such as Universal and SeaWorld, dozens of great golf courses, and beaches on both sides.

Florida problems aside - insurance, government attitude towards education, transplants, bad drivers, etc.. the only Orlando-specific problems that I immediately notice are:

- The transportation system. There aren't enough lanes, there's no full loop to get around the city, and sometimes there aren't on/off ramps where there should be. For example, why force those of us who drive west on 50 to down to go all the way to Alafaya to get into the research park? There are thousands of jobs in UCF's research park and many people live east of the Alafaya/50 intersection. If they're trying to keep the through-traffic out of the research park, charge a $2 toll for using that ramp. I'd gladly pay it to save 15-20 minutes getting to work. Also, public transportation in this town is a joke. The bus system is not timed and not very efficient for the size of the city, unless this is your bus driver:
Police: 15-Year-Old Steals Bus, Drives Route Collecting Fares - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/10186280/detail.html - broken link)
Don't bother moving here if you don't want to have a car.

- The school system. Some people may argue this, but my views come from friends who have been teachers in Orange County and the blame falls highly on the superintendant and local government decisions. Seminole County's school system is much better in nearly all ways.

- Real estate development by the builders. Very few of the cookie cutter neighborhoods were designed with lower budgets or small houses in mind. Most homes to be found were larger 3 or smaller 4 bedroom houses at a minimum. If you want a cozy 2 bedroom house - the equivalent of a 2 bedroom apartment with a garage - for small family or single-minded career use, you're forced to purchase a small home built in the 50's/60's/70's. It's a shame that no housing communities recently built were developed with the single professional in mind. They just assumed we'd all want condos or connected townhomes instead of freshly built starter homes. Combined with the fact that so many of these "high-end" developments are stuck right next to much lower value neighborhoods, you won't be getting exclusive schools for your money. Don't get me started on home-owner associations that like to run their 'hood like the USSR, and charge fees equivalent of communist society. There's a significant lack of design for new houses - very few communities actually allow you to bring them a floorplan to build a house. You have to select one of their 6 pre-fab floorplans, but they'll mirror it if you like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando