Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 AM

157 posts, read 478,031 times

Advertisements

As title says not just from reports in the news but from a personal point of view. Crime has become more prevalant in my area (Dr Phillips) since I moved here 19years ago from NYC. I had 2 attempted burglaries into my home in the past 6 months. One was between 3-4am when I was asleep. ( the dog woke me up ) and the other was a few weeks ago at 9 pm (wife was home). There has been a rash of robberies and they are occuring at any time of the day or night. 2 homes within a 1000 ft radius have been hit this year while the home owners were asleep. My wife now keeps a .38 next to her when I'm not home. This is a women who was antigun for as long as I could remember. My how things can change. I myself carry a glock with me (CCW permitted) in my car and when I walk my dog at night. You would never think things are as they seem sometimes from appearance as my neighborhood is clean looking and middle class. Five years ago I laughed when people spoke of crime here. My thoughts were somewhat nieve as I always compared crime rates to NYC and said "you havn't seen nothing yet until you lived there". Times have changed and you really have to take precautions more than before. I make sure everything is locked and outdoor lights are left on all night now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:19 AM

631 posts, read 2,452,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert999 View Post
As title says not just from reports in the news but from a personal point of view. Crime has become more prevalant in my area (Dr Phillips) since I moved here 19years ago from NYC. I had 2 attempted burglaries into my home in the past 6 months. One was between 3-4am when I was asleep. ( the dog woke me up ) and the other was a few weeks ago at 9 pm (wife was home). There has been a rash of robberies and they are occuring at any time of the day or night. 2 homes within a 1000 ft radius have been hit this year while the home owners were asleep. My wife now keeps a .38 next to her when I'm not home. This is a women who was antigun for as long as I could remember. My how things can change. I myself carry a glock with me (CCW permitted) in my car and when I walk my dog at night. You would never think things are as they seem sometimes from appearance as my neighborhood is clean looking and middle class. Five years ago I laughed when people spoke of crime here. My thoughts were somewhat nieve as I always compared crime rates to NYC and said "you havn't seen nothing yet until you lived there". Times have changed and you really have to take precautions more than before. I make sure everything is locked and outdoor lights are left on all night now.
2 attempted break-ins in Dr. Phillips? Are you sure you don't live closer to the 408? I don't buy it. I live next to the highest crime zip code in Orlando and I havent even had anyone try to take things from my yard much less break in.

If your wife is that scared in Orlando that she needs a gun, then maybe it's time for you to leave. I walk my dog downtown at night around Lake Davis and have NEVER been scared, not once.

I now understand why crime is on the rise because we have a bunch of sheltered people who have no idea what being "street smart" means.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,984 times
There may be some specific reason you are being targeted. I would look into outdoor security lights, car alarms, and ADT signs in the lawn (whether you have the security system or not). I do not have problems in my area, but sometimes I think it is because of the lights and the extra steps I take to set up deterrents to those looking to commit crime.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Crime has increased all over Orlando, its amazing for a city this small without many urban centers.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 AM

62 posts, read 263,771 times
Default Yes!

Robert, here's a link to my other post in my "Don't move to Orlando" thread that lists the *violent* crime I've experienced, or had friends experience since 2005:

//www.city-data.com/forum/6568726-post88.html

Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
2 attempted break-ins in Dr. Phillips? Are you sure you don't live closer to the 408? I don't buy it. I live next to the highest crime zip code in Orlando and I havent even had anyone try to take things from my yard much less break in.

If your wife is that scared in Orlando that she needs a gun, then maybe it's time for you to leave. I walk my dog downtown at night around Lake Davis and have NEVER been scared, not once.

I now understand why crime is on the rise because we have a bunch of sheltered people who have no idea what being "street smart" means.
What do you mean "I don't buy it" If you think I made this up for some wierd reason than you are wrong my friend. I'm glad you need to defend yourself about how safe you feel at night walking around the lake. Believe me I grew up in the streets of NY and have plenty of street smarts. Ive had street punks try to rob me by knife point and my outcome was good due to my streetsmarts. Last comment from me.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinDonor View Post
Robert, here's a link to my other post in my "Don't move to Orlando" thread that lists the *violent* crime I've experienced, or had friends experience since 2005:

//www.city-data.com/forum/6568726-post88.html
Yikes! I just read your thread, thats really bad. I've been to that skating rink before and didn't think it was an unsafe area. It just goes to show that anyplace can be a risk.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Im am on the East side and have nothing that has gone on affecting me. It does surprise me about your Dr. Phillips area. I suspect you have 1 person causing all the issues, perhaps if you get to use the Glock the problem will be solved. aim well.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
Not in Lake Mary.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,214,739 times
Also live on the east side...Lee Vista/Lake Nona area. Crime has not affected me personally, but I have heard of petty theft in the area in the daytime when people are at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando