Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:51 AM

155 posts, read 284,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbank View Post
I think one would have to be incredibly foolish to think living in a large, growing metro area would be anything like a day at Disneyworld. Furthermore, it is almost incomprehensible to me that someone would relocate across the country without knowing anything, or doing any research about pay rates and housing costs, or even to move without having secured employment FIRST. The idea of the "sunshine premium" as it relates to payscales has been a well known fact for decades. And who gathers such important info from salespeople???

All too many transients come to FLA thinking it will be some sort of paradise, and they'll just luck into some great job, with the same or greater pay, and find some wonderful small safe peaceful town and a nice big house. Life doesn't work that way. When you move somplace that thousands, millions of people, from all over the world want to be, because of the sun and water, its COMPETITIVE. If you cannot or are unwilling to compete on that level, a state that attracts far less interest from the outside world might be better suited. One would think this would be obvious.

Do your research first next time, and do some planning, and don't believe some fake Disney fairytale, and then perhaps you won't have to scurry back to wherever you came from with your tail between your legs.

There's no shortage of people like you complaining. Its not helpful. Looking before you leap usually is.
We had jobs before we moved down. Still, anyone can include "must speak Spanish" to the job descriptions at anytime and then fire you. That happens, we cannot control the fact that employer have all the control in this area. Boards such as this did not exist 5 years ago to help people move down here, you had to gather info on your own. Talking to local residents did not help at all either, back then there were fewer sources of info available.

The idea of the "sunshine premium" as it relates to payscales has been a well known fact for decades. Actually when we moved down here 5 years ago, that was not so much the case. It has gotten worse. We joined a job support group and we learned over the last 10 to 15 years, it has become like that. You are right to say it is COMPETITIVE in Florida, there are far more people than jobs, we agree on that. That is why it is important to have this information on job sites, so everyone knows that the job market here is bad, that getting a job is very hard and good paying jobs are far and in between.

I would not consider myself a "transient", this was a permanent move, we did not move down here thinking it was paradise, we knew better than that, we just wanted warmer winters (although we never imagined 9 month summers would be the case). Again, we had jobs before we moved down.

Looking back at hindsight 20/20 is easy. No need to be harsh on me like that. Your "perhaps you won't have to scurry back to wherever you came from with your tail between your legs. There's no shortage of people like you complaining." is not very nice at all!!

I will re-state my point: There are very good jobs in Florida, lots of unfriendly folk (case and point), cost of living is high, and it is very unsafe due to "transients" as stated by the person I quoted.

My two cents: Move your family down here without locking on a $100,000 job, you will be miserable.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:31 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
I am going to close this thread due to all the exaggerated negativity, name calling and obvious anger. I will leave it so others can read your comments and know your feelings on Orlando in general but if this type of postings continue on other threads they will be deleted and infractions will be given out.
Folks, we are adults and this is an informative thread, not a mud slinging chat room. Lets all remember that when posting.
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando