Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 11,813 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in the lake nona area in an apartment that has access to 1gbps internet. I've been wanting to move out and find a house to rent really anywhere in the orlando area. I'm even open to Apoka, Altemonte springs, Lake Mary, Winter Park ect...

Basically im not picky at all when it comes to location. What i am picky with is my internet and right now all i can find is houses with Brighthouse. I want at least 50mbps upload speed since i really do alot of uploading and brighthouse wont budge on their upload speeds. I even asked if they could raise it for a cost and the guy on the phone said that they are not allowed to.

He told me that they really limit the upload speed on purpose because a higher upload would slow down the traffic on their nodes. Ive found a few broadband companies like centrylink, summet broadband who both offer 1gbps but neither of them have a coverage map. I called in asking for one and they refused to help, they told me to provide the address. I even asked them to tell me street name/ or neighboring city that has access to their 1gps but they refused to help. Its like they enjoy keeping it a secret. I just dont understand how they can survive as a company by treating potential new customers this way.

I'd even be happy with comcast at this point since they offer double the upload as bright-house but i cant even find them anywhere either! So im hopeing that people with Any high speed service other than brightouse or DSL to please let me know what city your in, and possibly your street, or neighboring streets ect...

I'm almost to the point that I'd move to Tampa just for Verizon Fios. I work from home which is why internet is more important than my location. Im just starting to like the orlando area so I'd prefer to stay out this way. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
I have AT&T it's OK- can get B-house & Verizon - I'm close to DT -but cannot get Century-Link

Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have AT&T it's OK- can get B-house & Verizon - I'm close to DT -but cannot get Century-Link

Verizon fios? I read the at Verizon never made it out this far...

Old 08-04-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Verizon fios? I read the at Verizon never made it out this far...
you can go to the web site and plug in an address-- I did that- and it said FIOS TV- we had Fios in Tampa and was awesome- try some address or just call them

Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Sprint offers it as well... It's not cheap, though. (Or was it T1 that wasn't cheap?)

Old 08-04-2015, 08:18 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
AT&T appears to be rolling out a service similar to FiOS called AT&T U-verse GigaPower.

https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/gigapower.html

In Florida, it is only offered in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, but it looks like Orlando is on the short list to be included soon.

AT&T Eyes 100 U.S. Cities and Municipalities for its Ultra-Fast Fiber Network
Future Plans & Current Locations for U-verse with AT&T GigaPower

I know that doesn't help you today, but I thought I'd share anyway. Bright House may be your best option for now.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:44 PM

I have that ATT u verse- and when it rains it's iffy --they need to update wiring probably to the pole, but I don't have time for a service call right now. Was disappointing as that happened with BH all the time

Old 08-04-2015, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. It looks like I'm stuck with them if I move anywhere in the area... Eh. I'd rather go back to Comcast than choose bright house.

I noticed that there is a Comcast center in the lake Mary area but when searching lake Mary homes it seems to be bright house only.

Does anyone know if Comcast is in the lake Mary area? If so what part of lake Mary, north, south, east, west?

Old 08-04-2015, 06:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
I would figure Comcast, AT&T and Google would be involved in fiber in the Orlando metro, I have not seen much in Orlando Business Journal about many of them.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:17 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/n...o-orlando.html

It looks like we may have Gigabit internet through AT&T U-Verse in Orlando by the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando