Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 PM

185 posts, read 457,799 times

Advertisements

So I am doing some research and was curious to what kind of lifestyle is obtainable living in downtown Orlando. I'm talking the high-rises south/southwest of Lake Eola.

What's the walk-ability of the area? Can I just walk to grocery stores or markets? Do I need a car to get around or can I just keep it garaged until I have to get out of downtown?

Is it worth it to live down there? There is a job opportunity I am considering that is downtown so it would be great to just walk to work everyday. The office is right near the Amway Center.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:28 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,346,116 times
You could easily walk everywhere. There's a full scale publix grocery store right across the street from Lake Eola Park with a pharmacy. Most other services you need, dry cleaning, dining, barber, etc are also right downtown. You would only need your car to leave downtown.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,842 times
Agree with Crane's Rooster.

My only concern would be, depending on where "near the Amway Center" your job is, you may not want to walk to work. The area (especially west) around the Amway can be a little rough (and by a little rough, I mean they will probably kill you). Downtown living east of I4 is great.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,057,577 times
The Lymmo BRT east-west expansion will be open soon which will have stops at South Eola and the Amway Center. You can take that every day for free! The walk is not bad, but when it gets really hot in the summer I think Lymmo would be the way to go.

http://www.golymmo.com/

Old 02-28-2014, 04:20 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
So I am doing some research and was curious to what kind of lifestyle is obtainable living in downtown Orlando. I'm talking the high-rises south/southwest of Lake Eola.

What's the walk-ability of the area? Can I just walk to grocery stores or markets? Do I need a car to get around or can I just keep it garaged until I have to get out of downtown?

Is it worth it to live down there? There is a job opportunity I am considering that is downtown so it would be great to just walk to work everyday. The office is right near the Amway Center.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
There are some really nice residential buildings in downtown. You won't need a car to gt around downtown, only when you want to leave downtown. If you like the idea of urban living, go for it! It's nothing compared to Boston, SF, NYC, etc but it's still good for Florida. It's very clean and well kept with lots of nice old trees along the streets. Just stay East of I-4.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
The SW side of Lake Eola is as dangerous as around the Amway Center, with 15 incidents reported in one day over a six block by four block area. That doesn't seem terribly safe for a city of 240K in terms of odds and a neighborhood resident population of a few to several hundred. Orlando, FL Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Orlando

Last edited by kyle19125; 03-01-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The SW side of Lake Eola is as dangerous as around the Amway Center, with 15 incidents reported in one day over a six block by four block area. That doesn't seem terribly safe for a city of 240K in terms of odds and a neighborhood resident population of a few to several hundred. Orlando, FL Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Orlando
I actually drove pass that Lake Eola area during a cold winter night in December. A LOT of homeless wandering around. Who knows how it gets during a warm summer night.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I actually drove pass that Lake Eola area during a cold winter night in December. A LOT of homeless wandering around. Who knows how it gets during a warm summer night.
It's pretty astounding how many there are and while most are probably harmless, not an environment I would want to be around all of the time.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:08 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's pretty astounding how many there are and while most are probably harmless, not an environment I would want to be around all of the time.
It's a problem in several cities, not just Orlando. St Pete used to have it pretty bad. I see it in jax too

Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,885 times
I live downtown, right on Lake Eola. I love it and I always feel safe (and I'm a small female). I don't think I could completely live without a car, but I don't need one on a daily basis. The only thing really missing is a Walgreens or CVS. That is the one thing I frequently wish I could walk to. If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando