Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 07:37 PM

33 posts, read 33,282 times

Advertisements

Hello! Is anyone familiar with Winter Park's elementary schools? I'm trying to learn the differences. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 07:53 PM

Hi! I just wanted to follow-up on this post. If anyone new reads this and know the differences between Dommerich, Lakemont and Audobon Elementary schools, please share what you know. I'd really appreciate it!

Old 04-29-2016, 07:46 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
All of those are very highly rated, but there are some demographic differences with Lakemont since it draws from some poorer areas across Semoran. Dommerich is the most desirable out of those. However, you might have to be ready to move later when your kids get to high school unless you can get a house that is zoned for both Dommerich and Winter Park High. Edgewater High is not desirable.

Now with Audubon, things are changing. Right now Audubon Elementary pulls from Baldwin Park and Audubon Park areas. That is going to change when the new Audubon K-8 opens in 2018. At that time, the new K-8 will pull from Audubon Park, Fern Park, and some Winter Park areas. The existing Audubon Elementary will then be exclusively for Baldwin Park. Personally, I like the K-8 idea a lot and would like to move into that area. It will be a new school with no ratings to go off, but pretty much the entire area it is zoned for is affluent, and there is a direct relationship with high performing schools and the money in the area. So, I feel confident that would be a good choice. Here is a map of the new K-8 zones:

http://ocps.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vie...39dbf0e2fd8eb3

The map is a bit confusing at first since it shows both the new areas and the old, but study it for a bit and you will see what is going on. The new Audubon Park K-8 will be the area in purple.

Last edited by Pete C; 04-29-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 04-30-2016, 04:57 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
and there is a direct relationship with high performing schools and the money in the area.
Too bad the politicians don't get that.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 PM

Thank you, Pete C! Very good information. If you have time, can you tell me if Brookshire and Dommerich are comparable? Thanks!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:09 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
I have no direct experience, but going by research on school rating websites Dommerich is the better school. On greatschools.com it has a 10/10 where Brookshire has a 9/10. The user reviews also echo that where Dommerich has a perfect 5 star average and Brookshire has a 4 star average. On schooldigger.com, Dommerich is ranked 133th in the state among all elementary schools where Brookshire is 509th. Also, Dommerich has only 22% of students on the free or reduced lunch program compared to 39% at Brookshire. That may or may not matter to you, but a lot of parents look at that number. I would read some of those user reviews on greatschools.com which might give a better window into the personal experiences people have.

Last edited by Pete C; 05-05-2016 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando