Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly, such signs are everywhere and will be used to mitigate potential liability.
The report I saw said the sign only said NO SWIMMING. Nothing about alligators which is really STUPID on Disney's part.

I would never expect parents from Nebraska to be thinking about alligators at Disney. They probably have no idea they even have access to the retention basins everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
It's just a complete shame and while I'm certainly no fan of Disney.. this is not their fault.
To me, the totality does not look good for Disney:

- They know they have people visiting from all over the world
- Not everyone is familiar with the prevelance of alligators in Florida, their dusk / dawn feeding habits, and their love of taking small creatures from the shore.
- Disney then creates a pond, lays out sun chairs, and makes an artifical beach around it.
- Yet, warns people of a known potentially lethal danger with a very vague "no swimming" signage? The family follows the signage and the kid was not swimming.

Now, if the attack happened in the Everglades, or if the family went cave diving, or "extreme" this and that sport, I would agree with you.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Wading in the lake at night isn't smart, but I can understand tourists not thinking about it since it is a Disney hotel having a beach movie night. I don't know if there are warning signs or not.
RIP lil one
I cannot fathom the pain these poor parents are going through. Prayers for their family.

In the article I read, ...which was same CNN article posted by OP...it was "No swimming" signs...nothing about alligators. The beach looks very close to the resort buildings...and from article it looked like the resort was aware of gators. And it said toddler was wading.

additional article.
Alligator drags boy into the water near Disney World's Grand Floridian resort | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-15-2016, 09:07 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Well, this is Florida. We have Alligators. Where were the parents? I guess it's the Parks fault because the parents let their toddler get away from them. Sounds a little like the Gorilla fiasco.
They were right there. I'm not sure if they were standing next to him. But the father wrestled with the alligator somewhat. They didn't give the details. Why the rant without knowing the story?

The baby didn't "get away" from them. They were from Nebraska.

There's a beach at the lake.

PHOTO:

Alligator attacks toddler at lagoon at Disney hotel - CNN.com

They probably don't know a thing about "wild life" that's on the ground in these parts. Did you ever hear of people moving to Orlando and finding out there's a TON of venomous snakes in their own neighborhood? I know them.

And YES, IMO it's the PARK'S fault for only having a "no swimming" sign. He wasn't swimming, only doing something that every single tourist does...stepping in water one foot from the beach.

We had a gator in my HOA lake. He was stuck there for days. LIKE DISNEY, there's a canal system it's not just one isolated lake. In MY case the pipes go to the Intracoastal in the back of my HOA.

DUH. So it seems the GENIUSES at Disney are the stupid ones.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-15-2016 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Judging by your arrogance, you something in addition to common sense. Not everybody knows that even man made ponds in very developed areas in Florida contain alligators. Likewsie, the sign said "No Swimming".

Yes, I have canoed bayous on more than a few occasions and know that though alligators normally shy from humans, dawn and dusk are their feeding periods. As ambush predators, a toddler on the shore is very attractive target for them- even when it is not dawn or dusk.

But.... these people were from the Netherlands. Not too many alligators there. Likewise, I bet knowledge of alligator feeding habits might not be that common there.
These folks are from Nebraska, not Netherlands.
Doesn't change the fact if there were gators in the resort pond...there should have been more than "no swimming" signs posted.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
I'm heartbroken for these poor parents over the loss of their child. When you stay at a resort with your family you assume it's a safe place. However, in Florida any body of water is fair game for gators unfortunately. We lived in Florida and were warned not to let our dogs or children play near the edge of ponds and lakes due to the threat of being snatched by gators. So sorry about this tragedy.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:40 AM

626 posts, read 976,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Disney bears total responsibility. This is a man made lagoon that looks like a beach, encourages people to sit by the sandy shore. If there was any possibility for alligators to exist in that body of water, it should have been cordoned off, signs do not protect people/children.

I am surprised this didn’t happen sooner, look at these children playing by the shore at the same resort, they too could have easily been snatched up by a gator, signs and all.

http://kellysluckyyou.com/wp-content...each-at-GF.jpg
I 100% totally agree. People run up and down this beach all the time. It's very inviting that's what makes it so deceptive.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
if they posted "alligators" nobody be in the beach area at all -- but if I see "no swimming" I might think the water has chemicals or something- not safe-as its part of all those building and great grass, run off- or bacteria. I am so sorry for the loss of this child, prayer to the family. tragic incident I hope they find his body

Old 06-15-2016, 09:47 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Can you fathom the anguish these parents are experiencing right now? I can barely breath just imagining what they are going through, as their grief and helplessness must be overwhelming. I can't wrap my head around how horrible it is. And on top of the Pulse massacre and the singer's murder just a few days ago! It's too much to process.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-15-2016 at 10:16 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,962 times
Default e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
From what I have read the dad was right there with him and tried to rescue his son, but unfortunately either let the child wade or splash his feet in the water right on the bank/beach of the lake. The lake has signs to stay out of water. But people are posting they thouht it was because of pollution not gators. They think there is no way a gator could ever get to Disney lakes......yet U-tube is full of gator pictures from Disney-some even in the water right next to Splash Mountain ride.
No matter how much Floridians tell the world that we have gators, venemous snakes, ants that bite, caterpillars that can kill you, bears, sharks in our brackish rivers, coyotes, cougars, etc. people not from here think that none of them could ever be at Disney. If they were right on the sandy beach, this is a busy area where people watch the fireworks from and movies are shown so it is weird that a gator would approach the area, but previous tourists may have thought it fun to throw food to gators to get a better pictures and this one became unafraid of man.

Sorry, usually when these things happen, it's usually the fault of negligent parents. But this time I think Disney blew it. This was obviously a beach used by their guests for swimming. They even had a lifeguard. If ANY of the lagoon could have possibly have had gators, it should have been closed to the public. Disney should have known better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando