Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:22 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathte View Post
I just need to vent really. But if someone posts a positive word or two, cool!!
Our house here in NY has been for sale for about 8 months. Our not-so-fabulous realtor told us not to change anything about it. It is clean, in a nice area, large but the kitchen and 1 bathroom are the "most modern" (but not antiquated either). We want to move NE of Orlando, like by the next school year (Fl school time). The realtor says the house is overpriced (although we did lower it once already). That is it. No constructive criticism. I am at the point where I want to just lower the price again and get out quick (but we need the money from the sale to put on another house). Which will probably not benefit us in the long run.
Decisions....decisions......rant over. mic drop.
If your home has been on the market for 8 months and no offers yet your house is over priced.
How much lower did you lower the price ?
Was there any activity afterwards?
Have you sat down with your Realtor and done a net sheet to see at what selling price point will allow you to break even and sell ?
A truly motivated seller wouldn't be sitting on their house for 8 months.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 04:30 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Also, when a house is on the market for a long time it turns off a lot of buyers because they think something must be wrong if it hasn't sold yet.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:56 PM

149 posts, read 145,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuck16 View Post
Your situation sounds a lot like ours except we purchased a home here and moved leaving our NY house on the market. Our first realtor was awful and we switched to a fabulous realtor which made a huge difference. We had an offer in less than 5 months after listing with the new realtor. Winter is a tough time to sell in Upstate NY where we were from. Keys things to keep in mind will be if you are going to apply for a mortgage down here you may have issues unless your transferring a position. We learned this while working with a wonderful realtor down here.

Don't give up hope! Change realtors and work with one who has a proven track record for sales! Good luck! What part of NY?
Lucky you ! We need the sale of this house, Nassau County, LI , in order to buy a house down there.
We will be switching realtors soon. What do you mean "transferring a position?". We are discussing money and affordability with someone who is in FL, whom we met through our FL realtor.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
If your home has been on the market for 8 months and no offers yet your house is over priced.
How much lower did you lower the price ?
Was there any activity afterwards?
Have you sat down with your Realtor and done a net sheet to see at what selling price point will allow you to break even and sell ?
A truly motivated seller wouldn't be sitting on their house for 8 months.

Best of luck.
Thanks. We lowered it quite a bit, and still no activity. We never thought to do a net sheet with realtor, nor did he suggest it. We are taking it off, and freshening it up.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Also, when a house is on the market for a long time it turns off a lot of buyers because they think something must be wrong if it hasn't sold yet.
I know. Hoping a new realtor has constructive criticism.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesessister View Post
We put our boxes in the garage and called VVA, BBBSLI for regular pickups.

I can't remember - are you near North Merrick?

My garage is full, but still looks neat enough to show. I have a sunroom...that will be string boxes soon.
I am near Franklin Square.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 21,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathte View Post
Lucky you ! We need the sale of this house, Nassau County, LI , in order to buy a house down there.
We will be switching realtors soon. What do you mean "transferring a position?". We are discussing money and affordability with someone who is in FL, whom we met through our FL realtor.

When we were considering selling our home in NY first then move down here we were cautioned against it. The realtor said too often people make the mistake of selling and trying to get a mortgage with a new job. There was a time the banks freely handed money out but that has changed with the housing bubble burst. After talking with a financial guy he also suggested that it could be difficult as I would not have my income as I owned a business that I'd be closing in NY. If your income won't be changing you should be ok. If I had made a lateral job move then there wouldn't be an issue. Banks and mortgage companies look at your income and relocating for us meant I'd be losing my income.

We have found Florida living extremely affordable especially in contrast to NY living. The property tax alone has been a huge savings as well as having no state taxes, lower gas prices. Our only regret with moving is that we. Didn't do it sooner!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuck16 View Post
When we were considering selling our home in NY first then move down here we were cautioned against it. The realtor said too often people make the mistake of selling and trying to get a mortgage with a new job. There was a time the banks freely handed money out but that has changed with the housing bubble burst. After talking with a financial guy he also suggested that it could be difficult as I would not have my income as I owned a business that I'd be closing in NY. If your income won't be changing you should be ok. If I had made a lateral job move then there wouldn't be an issue. Banks and mortgage companies look at your income and relocating for us meant I'd be losing my income.

We have found Florida living extremely affordable especially in contrast to NY living. The property tax alone has been a huge savings as well as having no state taxes, lower gas prices. Our only regret with moving is that we. Didn't do it sooner!

Thanks for the explanation. My husband's income won't be changing ( SSD). I teach P/T and will be looking for a similar position down there once I get accustomed to my area. We can't wait to leave these LI property taxes behind!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: