Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:28 PM

8 posts, read 26,967 times

Advertisements

I live in very far East Orlando Past Waterford and Orlando and I have yet to see a gang member or a drive by I shoppe at a bueatiful Town Center mre and more exciting shops and things to do are comming our way - so either I am lucky and have moved to the right part of town or you all are exaggerating or lying!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 02:00 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Bubblicious, I also live in East Orlando in the Lake Nona/Vista Lakes area and I agree with you. However, my mother in law did live in the Parramore area until 5 years ago. She recently talked with the young man who bought her old house. He told her he is constantly on the phone with the police trying to get the drug dealers and prostitutes from operating on the street corner in front of his house. It is very bad in that area. If you are blessed to live in other parts of the city you would never know it existed here. It is still mostly confined to certain areas - NOT citywide as some would have people believe.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:22 AM

18 posts, read 68,338 times
Apopka has a good amount of Hispanic people, and a good mix of diversity. With 429 done, it's much easier to get around. Crime has increased dramatically and we are moving out of state because it has changed so much. Look elsewhere...I have a good friend who is moving to Panama...the cost of living there is very low, and everyone speaks english and Spanish. Costa Rica may be another good choice.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:36 AM

70 posts, read 354,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle407 View Post
I just moved to the Orlando area over the summer from Long Island, NY. I moved to the affluent Lake Mary/Heathrow (overrated) area north of Orlando.

6 months later and I can't wait to get out of here. Crime is so high, schools are so poor, population so transient. Being someone who has lived in PA, DE, NJ, NY, and now FL, I rate FL the lowest as far as standard of living.

Yes the sunny days are wonderful, the tourist attractions are great, but good jobs are scarce, and the vast majority of the Spanish speaking population live in sub par neighborhoods, are terrorized by gangs and drug related crime. The Latinos living in Orlando often work for Hotels and the Tourist industry either in the amusement parks or on International drive. They make minimum wage or close to it with little to no benefits.

Florida in general and Orlando in particular is geared towards tourists and retirees. It is no place to raise a family or to start a life.
Come here for vacation, enjoy yourself and then leave for Better schools, hospitals, jobs, etc elsewhere.
Would you say the same for the Tampa area? I was looking in Wesley Chapel and Land o' Lakes...

Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 PM
HAB

3 posts, read 9,521 times
this input is totally true!!!
i have been here ten years and hate it..to transit to many you will learn not to trust..on sad town

Old 01-24-2007, 12:34 PM

56 posts, read 253,774 times
if you want spanish migrante workers and gang crime move to an area that has Bowen family homes .They use many migantes to build the houses and with them come Mexican gangs.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 PM

150 posts, read 426,311 times
The best area of Orlando is probably Winter Park. Though I don't know where to find a large Latino population or, for that matter, large gang activity. That is probably because I live in Miami where there is a prevalence of both, and only spent 4 years in Orlando at Rollins College. I used to drive all over Orlando, just for the hell of it, to have a look. If I ever did see a billboard in Spanish, I can't remember. I probably didn't even notice it.

I did have an incident in Eatonville. I was driving down Kennedy and this guy tried to stop me, I think to mug me, so I tried to run him over. But Dangerous? Orlando? Maybe compared to a small city of 100,000 people. But any city as big as Orlando is going to have some crime. And I think Orlando has comparatively little. When I think dangerous, I think Miami, FtL, StL, Detroit, NYC, Chicago, LA etc. But Orlando? No

Old 02-12-2007, 02:46 PM

14 posts, read 62,539 times
Default There are NO good neighborhoods in Orlando!

Even the outlying towns that were once so nice are going to h---

Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM

91 posts, read 496,124 times
meltyemi = Marylou........

Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Valerius,
I was waiting on someone with more knowledge to answer your post, but I will give it my best shot since no one else has stepped up. Pine Hills is the area of town with the largest concentration of spanish speaking population. Unfortunately, it is also locally known as "Crime Hills" so I would stay away from that area. There are many areas of South Orlando that are Spanish Speaking - in fact some of the billboards by the highways in that section of town are in Spanish. There are also some Spanish concentrated communities around South Highway 436 - north of the Orlando International Airport area. Again, I would be careful, while there are a number of nice condos and apartments along 436 - be careful around the Conway area (west of 436) as they have been having more crime recently. If you check out the Vista Lakes area - Vista Lake Drive and Hwy. 436 - you will find a newer more upscale area that may be closer to what you are looking for. Check realtor dot com for zip code 32829 and you will see offerings in that area.
In addition to the above, Kissimmee has a growing Hispanic population. They are looking for more Spanish-speaking police officers as there are 30 out of 120 police offices who speak Spanish now, and the population wants more representation.

One question though, I live in Conway, and I haven't heard anything about increasing crime. Our neighborhoods are quiet, clean, the schools are Grade A, a lot of upper scale homes on lakes, we have a lot of churches, carnivals, and a close-knit community. We even have our own paper (www.conwaynews.com) . Please tell me what you're hearing about this. Not attacking, just most interested and concerned. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando