Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 08:18 PM

25 posts, read 32,137 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Windermere area this summer and my daughters will be in 8th grade next year. Al of the homes we're looking at are zoned for Bridgewater- I've seen the google map view with all of the trailers, I've read the horrendous reviews from parents (and immature reviews by students) on several websites. I was taking all of this with a dose of pragmatism, and a tinge of optimism until I had a curt and disrespectful email exchange with the assistant principal (principals email is nowhere to be found on the website).

I looked at the two private schools in the area- I can't afford tuition for 2 kids in middle school, even for one year.

Our state does not do charter schools, and we've been zoned for the magnet school, so I have no clue how these options work, or where to begin looking for information. Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 02:46 PM

491 posts, read 474,153 times
In your situation, I would just send them to Bridgewater and then West Orange. They have the advanced classes and they have big facilities.

The two private schools you mentioned are good, have nicer food, they're carrying around MacBooks, but they're pricey. There are more big nice private schools throughout Orlando that are nice and swanky, but they all cost money. I assume that's where the well-to-do send their kids.

The thing about magnet schools in Orange County is that they're spread out. It's not like there's one magnet school that has everything and all the others don't. It's more like, Dr. Phillips has the Performing Arts Magnet, Boone High School with its proximity to Downtown has the Law and Finance Magnet and Cypress Creek has the IB Magnet, etc. There are many other magnets as well. These are all regular high schools (just like Bridgewater), but they just happen to have these special programs. I remember they used to bus people around just to send students to a school that's further away just to get access to special classes. They're still going to regular public schools that might be even lower performing than Bridgewater and West Orange, but they have the magnet. Does that make sense?

In Florida, you just try to get into a school that has good ratings and be put into the advanced classes and then you should be good. I would say Bridgewater is an okay school. It's up to your children to do well and get into the good classes. You could try going to a religious private school if you wanted a more communal experience. When you're going to a public school, you're getting people from all walks of life. More dirtiness, lots of students that don't care about school. Teenagers will be teenagers, though. The good thing about public schools is that students usually learn to handle more differences and stress, whereas a private school will be a more sheltered and kiddie-glove environment. Like I said, as long as your kids do well in school, they'll get into the advanced classes.

Hopefully you'll find something. Go to the official website or Downtown office for Orange County schools and they'll show you a more detailed set of options that you have and how to apply to whatever charter schools and other magnet programs you might want to get into.

Last edited by clearlevel; 03-31-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 03:52 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
This website has Orange County's magnet/charter school info: https://www2.ocps.net/departments/school_choice/

The application period to apply to a magnet middle school ended in February. I don't know how charter schools work, but with the magnets the students apply/audition to the program of their choice. You're able to go to any program in Orange County but must have your own transportation. There are a ton of high school magnet programs to choose from.

Since they're only going to be in middle school one year after you move here, I wouldn't stress about that too much and rather look into getting them into the best high school. Also Bridgewater has had an "A" rating for at least the last two years.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:54 PM

25 posts, read 32,137 times
My main concern is the rampant reports of bullying and the lack of the issue being addressed. The overcrowding is frustrating to be sure, and I know as a public school teacher myself the difficulties it causes, but on that issue - it's only one more year. Their current public middle school has a great school culture and bullying isn't a school wide epidemic. The administration has really worked to create a respectful learning environment. Based on my interactions with the administration at Bridgewater so far- they don't give a ...

The homes we're looking into are zoned for the new Winderemere High School.

Clearlevel- thank you for the information? Like I said, we've been zoned for the magnet schools, so we didn't have to apply. Our magnet program works the same for students who are not zoned for that school. Our state does not do charter schools at all and I find the OCPS website to be as frustrating for new users as the website for the district I teach in. lol

I do see in my own classroom though that the behavior issues of some impact the learning experience of all- even in advanced classes.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 PM

491 posts, read 474,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cskame View Post
My main concern is the rampant reports of bullying and the lack of the issue being addressed. The overcrowding is frustrating to be sure, and I know as a public school teacher myself the difficulties it causes, but on that issue - it's only one more year. Their current public middle school has a great school culture and bullying isn't a school wide epidemic. The administration has really worked to create a respectful learning environment. Based on my interactions with the administration at Bridgewater so far- they don't give a ...

The homes we're looking into are zoned for the new Winderemere High School.

Clearlevel- thank you for the information? Like I said, we've been zoned for the magnet schools, so we didn't have to apply. Our magnet program works the same for students who are not zoned for that school. Our state does not do charter schools at all and I find the OCPS website to be as frustrating for new users as the website for the district I teach in. lol

I do see in my own classroom though that the behavior issues of some impact the learning experience of all- even in advanced classes.
Oh yeah, I meant Windermere High School. I didn't realize they were building a new school. Yeah, I'd say Windermere is probably your best bet. Just stay in Bridgewater as well. The thing is, usually the behavior problems are less in the more advanced classes, since these classes are more rigorous and require more from the students. That's why I was saying if Bridgewater did have issues, it would probably be less if your student does well and is in the advanced classes. Try to get into college preparatory classes like AP courses as soon as possible in high school. They're rigorous, but they also tend to have better behaved and more focused students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: