Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:24 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer1 View Post
This is becoming an interesting thread.

Most of my flights would likely be out of MCO.
The moral of the story is you can't get everything you want- and you'll probably want to figure out where you'll be working before you go much further in looking at a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 01:58 PM

789 posts, read 702,914 times
Living in NY I find it hysterical that people think that ride from either Lake Mary, Oviedo or Winter Park to the airport MCO is a difficult one. I've been traveling almost weekly to the Orlando area and those very places using MCO and it is simple as simple can be. I guess it is perspective, but wow. Find the place you want to live based on budget and lifestyle for any of those places and don't let the ride to the airport scare you.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:36 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In West Sanford for instance (Wekiva Park, Sylvan Lake Preserve, Markham Estates and others) the OP can find homes that hit all of his criteria including a pool and larger lots (acre or more) in the 600K-700K bracket, and yet still be an easy 10 minutes from a regional shopping area and loads of restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Except there isn't a guarantee they're close to an IT job and not at all possible to take an affordable cab ride to MCO.
The vast majority of IT jobs in the metro area are in Lake Mary/Heathrow or Maitland, which would be 10 minute and 30 minute commutes respectively from West Sanford. MCO is a 30 minute drive which is fairly typical for any metro area I've lived in, and with Uber/Lyft $30 fares on par with airport transport in other cities.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:38 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Using only NYC as an example as I have more experience there than with the others. While I agree that MCO has much more offerings, do you NEED to fly into JFK or LaGuardia? Why not use Sanford and fly into Westchester? It's much less congested, and it has a train that goes directly to the city, just like JFK.
Quote:
First off, Allegiant (Sanford) does not fly to Westchester (HPN).

Second, there's no Train from Westchester Airport that goes 'directly to the city'. You take a bus from HPN to White Plains Station, where you can take MetroNorth to 125th or Grand Central Terminal.

There's no train that goes directly from JFK to 'the city' either. You'd take the Airtran to Jamaica where you can connect via Subway or LIRR.

The only direct flight to Westchester is from MCO on JetBlue. AirTran did the route in the past, but had to cut it when Southwest acquired them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer1 View Post
This is becoming an interesting thread.

Most of my flights would likely be out of MCO.
Yup. Sanford is a nice airport to fly and see family in the Midwest but the real airport most people use is MCO.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:39 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Living in NY I find it hysterical that people think that ride from either Lake Mary, Oviedo or Winter Park to the airport MCO is a difficult one. I've been traveling almost weekly to the Orlando area and those very places using MCO and it is simple as simple can be. I guess it is perspective, but wow. Find the place you want to live based on budget and lifestyle for any of those places and don't let the ride to the airport scare you.
Ppl in central and north fl get spoiled on commutes and traffic

Old 05-05-2017, 04:10 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The vast majority of IT jobs in the metro area are in Lake Mary/Heathrow or Maitland, which would be 10 minute and 30 minute commutes respectively from West Sanford. MCO is a 30 minute drive which is fairly typical for any metro area I've lived in, and with Uber/Lyft $30 fares on par with airport transport in other cities.
The OP was not quantitatively specific with his criteria-

It should be within a reasonable cab ride to the airport, as I travel a lot of business. And located within a reason commute of where a lot IT jobs are (which I'm assuming are downtown perhaps).

It could work for him.

I wouldn't consider a longer than a 20 minute commute, but that's me...

I also will let you know from Sanford to MCO is more-often-than-not going to cost more than $30, especially the reverse. Estimators put me at $31-39 Uber, and $40-50 Lyft. Mears estimates $84.

... and hell, to some that's reasonable too.
Since I'm paying my own travel expenses all the time, I sure wouldn't want to be paying it.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:56 PM

789 posts, read 702,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Ppl in central and north fl get spoiled on commutes and traffic
I've been in both places enough to know that central florida traffic is real. But we've jumped the shark when we think a 30-35min ride to an airport is beyond the pale.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:47 PM

26 posts, read 29,111 times
Quote:
The OP was not quantitatively specific with his criteria-

It should be within a reasonable cab ride to the airport, as I travel a lot of business. And located within a reason commute of where a lot IT jobs are (which I'm assuming are downtown perhaps).

It could work for him.

I wouldn't consider a longer than a 20 minute commute, but that's me...

I also will let you know from Sanford to MCO is more-often-than-not going to cost more than $30, especially the reverse. Estimators put me at $31-39 Uber, and $40-50 Lyft. Mears estimates $84.

... and hell, to some that's reasonable too.
Since I'm paying my own travel expenses all the time, I sure wouldn't want to be paying it.
$40-50 and 30-45 minutes in rush hour would be fine.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 PM

26 posts, read 29,111 times
How is the traffic on the northeast and east sides during rush hour?

Old 05-05-2017, 11:27 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
It's so true. Orlando's not that big of a city that it really matters that much. Even the other side of town of Orlando is only about an hour away form the airport.

Who cares about how close you are to the airport? Orlando's not that big of a city that it matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando