Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:49 AM

26 posts, read 29,081 times

Advertisements

What are some upscale neighborhoods in/near Orlando?

I'd like an area where you get more house/land for the dollar.

My budget is $500k-$750k (at $750k I would need a large lot, pool, etc).

It should be within a reasonable cab ride to the airport, as I travel a lot of business. And located within a reason commute of where a lot IT jobs are (which I'm assuming are downtown perhaps).

Schools are not important, my kids are over 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 12:09 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
If you can get more land/house for the dollar, then by definition it is not going to be upscale.

The areas that are considered upscale (Winter Park, Windermere, Lake Mary, etc.) will have a significant cost per square foot, and you will not find homes in your price range on any significant acreage. As an example, the average price per square foot in Winter Park is nearly $300.

Lake Nona may be your best bet near the airport, but even there you will be hard pressed to find a lot of land/house for the dollar.

Last edited by idr591; 05-03-2017 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 12:18 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Dr Phillips
Windermere
Winter Park

Old 05-03-2017, 12:24 PM

617 posts, read 832,097 times
Lake Nona might be a good option. It's very new and nice with a few upscale communities. They're building a lot of new communities with houses starting in the $500's going all the way up to $1M. Laureate Park is new with some very nice houses, although most of the lots are tiny (but with pools at least). Eagle Creek is another good option, as is Lake Nona golf and country club. Although with the country club you'll probably be looking at older and outdated homes in the $750k range.

Now if your definition of upscale is being surrounded by multi million dollar homes everywhere and being a rock's throw from Capital Grille and Ruth's Chris, then as the others have said: Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Winter Park, Lake Mary/Heathrow.

Lake Nona is also a very short ride to the airport (10 minutes or less, depending on where you are).

Old 05-03-2017, 12:41 PM

491 posts, read 473,309 times
Lake Nona is right next to the airport and is a very good area. Other places like Windermere/Dr. Phillips area, Winter Park and Lake Mary area are the upscaled areas. Windermere being more suburban, Winter Park more urban and Lake Mary being further out, but still close to the city. I wouldn't consider Orlando to having that much "upscaled" amenities. Not like other parts of Florida anyway. Also, the houses are actually expensive in many of these areas. You can get a small house in these areas, but it will cost you more to get a larger house.

Also, there are always random wealthy neighborhoods scattered throughout Orlando along the lakes.

Lake Nona is probably what you should check out since it's right next to the airport. There's only one upscaled mall in Orlando (Mall at Millenia) close to Dr. Phillips/Windermere and I wouldn't call Orlando that classy of a city. It really depends on what kind of lifestyle you want. All of these are relatively close to the airport, though, except Lake Mary, so I don't think it matters that much. Orlando's not that big of a city.

That being said, at around $500,000, you'll basically still be getting glorified McMansions in this nicer areas. At around $700,000, though, you'll start to get the more luxe homes that have higher quality builds.

If you want more land and bang for your buck, check out areas further out, like St. Cloud or Clermont. A little further out, but you could find good neighborhoods that are smaller an in good communities.

If you're willing to settle for a smaller home, at $500,000 you could get a nice home in these areas. Do you amenities? Do you like amenities? Do you want land? Do you need nearby Whole Foods, Trader Joe's? Or is Walmart okay? There are many questions to ask. Also, there are lots of toll roads in Orlando and that's mainly how you get around in many of these upscaled parts of town.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:01 PM

109 posts, read 110,734 times
As you mentioned, the bulk of the IT jobs would be around the Orlando area and out to East (UCF/Research Park) and West suburbs. In addition to Winter Park, the Oviedo-Chuluota areas on East side have some large lots (even older parts of Tuskawilla), and you can get a decent amount of home for your budget.

On the West side of town there are some areas with large lots between Winter Garden and Clermont (Winter Garden is close to Windermere, if you are not familiar with the area). Even the West side of Ocoee puts you in the Windermere area, but home prices/taxes are much less.

Either side is just over 30 minute commute to airport (I do this nearly every week and it is manageable). I also know a number of people commuting from the Clermont, Mt. Dora, Leesburg areas, but that is a further commute (and an expensive taxi ride).

My recommendation would be to connect with a real estate professional that knows the area and who can show you facts and listings after learning more about your specific requirements. (www.movetoorlando.info)

Old 05-03-2017, 01:06 PM

680 posts, read 1,920,629 times
Honestly - and this is coming from a person who owns a rental property in Lake Nona - How can you even compare Lake Nona to DP, Windermere, Winter Park, Lake Mary?

Aside from the LN Country Club, name one other "nice" neighborhood - and please don't tell me Laureate Park. Sure it's got a few upper scale homes, but you are not going to see mansions in Lake Nona.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:40 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I have a friend who purchased a ~ 1 acre lot in an upscale subdivision along Markham Woods for about $400,000. His house was about $350,000 to build. Roughly 4,700 sqft. Right about at your budget line. That sai, I'm sure his HOA fees are through the roof.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:53 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Lake Nona is a nice area but it is just so BORING! Maybe in 10 years or so, but right now you could eat at ever restaurant in one week or less lol.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:54 PM

491 posts, read 473,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
Honestly - and this is coming from a person who owns a rental property in Lake Nona - How can you even compare Lake Nona to DP, Windermere, Winter Park, Lake Mary?

Aside from the LN Country Club, name one other "nice" neighborhood - and please don't tell me Laureate Park. Sure it's got a few upper scale homes, but you are not going to see mansions in Lake Nona.
I'm seeing over 30 houses that are between 1 million and 5 million for sale at Lake Nona.

It's not that big of an area, but it's close to the airport and Disney and it's got good schools. I'd say it's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando