Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM

680 posts, read 1,921,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Got it; whites moving somewhere is "white flight", whites moving to an area with no whites is "gentrification". Non-whites moving to a white area is "diversifying" and non-whites concentrating in non-white areas is a double "diversity" and "cultural" area.

Not see much about why non-whites like clustering and living together, you see this across the US, yet when whites do it, it is because of white flight and racism. And when whites do move into non-white areas, they are criticized because they are "gentrifying" and destroying the unique (insert your non-white group here) history of the area.
I don't see this as whites "moving somewhere," but rather whites "LEAVING an area" - the question is, "WHY are they leaving?"

And are there any areas where Whites are exclusively moving into and clustering in the Orlando metro?

Sure, there may be a higher collection of whites in affluent areas, but I don't see those as "white only" locales.

And if we are talking about non-affluent or poorer areas that have a higher concentration of whites, I'm willing to bet that no race aspires to live there - even other whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:31 PM

66 posts, read 78,853 times
Question RE: Other areas

The other areas are: college park, maitland, Longwood (wekiva ), Dr.Phillip, Baldwin Park, Lake Nona (west ), windemere, etc. Pockets of neighborhoods are slowly going down here without the need of a real estate foreclosure crisis. Even in the sub par areas w/poor schools are seeing increases in rents and decreases in affordable homes for sale.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:34 PM

66 posts, read 78,853 times
Question RE: Other areas

The other areas are: college park, maitland, Longwood (wekiva ), Dr.Phillip, Baldwin Park, Lake Nona (west ), windemere, etc. Pockets of neighborhoods are slowly going down-hill without the need of a foreclosure crisis. Even in the sub par areas w/poor schools are seeing increases in rents and decreases in affordable homes for sale.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I’m seeing a lot of affluent people moving to Dr Phillips. A lot of nice families to Windermere, Avalon Park, Waterford Lakes. A lot of professionals moving to various surrounding downtown neighborhoods. People moving from the heart of a city to thr countryside isn’t about whites wanting to live in white areas, it’s more about wanting to lower living expenses, wanting bigger homes, wanting less traffic, congestion... of course this isnt everyone, but my gf is a realtor and this is the kinds of clients she has been dealing with. I can understand non Spanish speakers moving out of Kissimmee though simply because it is becoming the capital of Puerto Rico, which isn’t a bad thing, it just goes back to people wanting to be around others with similar culture, language etc. I have a lot of PR friends most who live in kissimmee and even made that joke above. Really nice family orientated people, but they speak Spanish half to most of the time if you are hanging out in a group setting from my experience.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:10 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
I don't see this as whites "moving somewhere," but rather whites "LEAVING an area" - the question is, "WHY are they leaving?"

And are there any areas where Whites are exclusively moving into and clustering in the Orlando metro?

Sure, there may be a higher collection of whites in affluent areas, but I don't see those as "white only" locales.

And if we are talking about non-affluent or poorer areas that have a higher concentration of whites, I'm willing to bet that no race aspires to live there - even other whites.
Funny I asked this question after Hurricane Irma. And got jumped on - what age is population what you describe as white Americans or something. Because last I heard there still are only 3 races in the world. Now do we have a Latin influx - after Maria. Yes. I just came back from PR and I rather live there than here. But I get it - things very rough for families to stay. Will this mean homes will be occupied year around, and we can get more done because schools and other infrastructure matter. Yey! Snowbirds Arizona is warm ! Cities always change, and think 90% of Orl area residents have no problem with it.for the rest can’t handle the mix - Adios amigos !

Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 PM

133 posts, read 148,747 times
The idea that people want to be around others like themselves is only true in areas where there is a multitude of differing peoples. So yeah, in a place like Orlando, people separate sort of like they've been run through a centrifuge.

However, when people live somewhere that's racially and culturally homogeneous, they virtually always want to go to where the Whites are. It only makes sense: Whites on the whole have the most beautiful cities, the lowest crime, best healthcare, the best welfare, and of course the most beautiful women. Virtually the only exceptions to this are some areas of East Asia (I'm thinking of you, Japan, Singapore, etc.) or people who are very wealthy in their own countries, where they can live like royalty.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post
The idea that people want to be around others like themselves is only true in areas where there is a multitude of differing peoples. So yeah, in a place like Orlando, people separate sort of like they've been run through a centrifuge.

However, when people live somewhere that's racially and culturally homogeneous, they virtually always want to go to where the Whites are. It only makes sense: Whites on the whole have the most beautiful cities, the lowest crime, best healthcare, the best welfare, and of course the most beautiful women. Virtually the only exceptions to this are some areas of East Asia (I'm thinking of you, Japan, Singapore, etc.) or people who are very wealthy in their own countries, where they can live like royalty.
The trend in most major cities is less presence of White people. Look at San Francisco (40% White small majority), DC (36% White - minority), Los Angeles (28.5% White minority), NYC (32% White basically a tied majority), Atlanta (38% White minority)... etc

Now within each city, the affluent areas tend to be majority White, but even in those that gap is getting smaller and smaller. White super majorities these days tend to be the rural areas.

Now when talking about a world view, you sound very... ignorant lol. For example, many cities in Asia can compete with anything in Europe or North America. People there don't look up to European or American cities for example, maybe 50 years ago yes, but not these days.

The West is falling behind in technology and innovation. However, in a local sense, especially in America, yes the more affluent areas still tend to be White if that is what you are meaning, which usually has less crime, better schools, etc. Demographics are changing very rapidly though. These days people want to live in urban cores, where as you go back not too long ago, people wanted to live in the burbs.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

Now when talking about a world view, you sound very... ignorant lol. For example, many cities in Asia can compete with anything in Europe or North America. People there don't look up to European or American cities for example, maybe 50 years ago yes, but not these days.

The West is falling behind in technology and innovation.
Not ignorant, just a little trollish. But seriously, I'm well-read on the issue. Everything you said in the quote above is the result of America's being 400% more "diverse" than it was 50 years ago.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post
Not ignorant, just a little trollish. But seriously, I'm well-read on the issue. Everything you said in the quote above is the result of America's being 400% more "diverse" than it was 50 years ago.
I disagree, the reason why we are falling behind is because we are not investing in our infrastructure like many Asian countries have been. Republicans failed us by not wanting to spend money towards infrastructure, more so they just want to do touch up repairs on what we already built. Democrats are too worried about environmental impact that they don't have real vision to go big, so it's a lose lose with either party. Neither has a grand plan like when we connected our entire country by highways.

Look at any of the airports in the major Asian cities, heck look at Singapore's airport... it is breathtaking. This goes way beyond airports, the point is, Europe is too occupied with preserving it's historic attributes. America is too occupied spending money on its military and world dominance and foreign aid projects.

If you look at the infrastructure in South Korea, Japan, Singapore and now China, it's amazing what they are doing, especially China. Their major cities such as Shanghai, is beyond NYC in my opinion now, but a lot of their cities are being developed, I can only imagine 50 years from now. The types of infrastructure projects, building projects, etc is definitely the future. Meanwhile, we can't get funding to repair old crappy bridges.

America used to be the country that thought big, that thought what next and wasn't afraid to invest in it... now anything new or innovative is just nope... waste of money or nope, what about the dung Beatles!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I disagree, the reason why we are falling behind is because we are not investing in our infrastructure like many Asian countries have been. Republicans failed us by not wanting to spend money towards infrastructure, more so they just want to do touch up repairs on what we already built. Democrats are too worried about environmental impact that they don't have real vision to go big, so it's a lose lose with either party. Neither has a grand plan like when we connected our entire country by highways.

Look at any of the airports in the major Asian cities, heck look at Singapore's airport... it is breathtaking. This goes way beyond airports, the point is, Europe is too occupied with preserving it's historic attributes. America is too occupied spending money on its military and world dominance and foreign aid projects.

If you look at the infrastructure in South Korea, Japan, Singapore and now China, it's amazing what they are doing, especially China. Their major cities such as Shanghai, is beyond NYC in my opinion now, but a lot of their cities are being developed, I can only imagine 50 years from now. The types of infrastructure projects, building projects, etc is definitely the future. Meanwhile, we can't get funding to repair old crappy bridges.

America used to be the country that thought big, that thought what next and wasn't afraid to invest in it... now anything new or innovative is just nope... waste of money or nope, what about the dung Beatles!
Well put. Definitely a reason we're falling behind.

I've been reading the Orlando forum for a while, and in my opinion, and surely tons of others', you're an asset to it.

Nice car, by the way. But why would someone in FL need the x?

Last edited by BjornT; 03-22-2018 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: car talk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando