Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 AM

330 posts, read 249,569 times

Advertisements

It seems like the powers that be are trying to create more traffic. Certain lights that only stay green for 15 seconds. And driving on Colonial none of the lights are synchronized so you have to wait at each light. Worst system ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,746,664 times
Try driving down Semoran, it's like they are trying to screw people over. Most times I hit every single light.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 AM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Try driving down Semoran, it's like they are trying to screw people over. Most times I hit every single light.
Yes. I agree. Poorly-synced lights all over the place. Semoran from Apopka down to around 17/92 is the absolute worst, with Maitland Blvd/414 being a close second.
Try driving down Maitland going West from I-4 to 441 at around 4PM. Have fun having each traffic light turn red right in your face.
FDOT sucks. Plain and simple.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:27 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
My issue with the lights (generally speaking) is the rotation is too slow. It’s like if you get the yellow, it feels like you have to wait 5 minutes until it turns green again. I do notice that some are not synced as well, it’s like if you run a yellow, you’ll get all greens, if you stop on a yellow, you’ll get all reds.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 PM

617 posts, read 833,271 times
The lights here in Orlando are designed to cause traffic, I'm sure of it. The lights are not synced at all and most of the time they don't make sense.

They'll stop a large flow of cars in both directions just to let one person turn right on a green, and the light will stay green for a minute while dozens of other cars wait for no reason. Just one example I dealt with yesterday.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:18 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
The lights here in Orlando are designed to cause traffic, I'm sure of it. The lights are not synced at all and most of the time they don't make sense.

They'll stop a large flow of cars in both directions just to let one person turn right on a green, and the light will stay green for a minute while dozens of other cars wait for no reason. Just one example I dealt with yesterday.
One particular light I used to go through all the time on OBT will literally turn red at a community entrance for no reason at all. No cars coming out of it, but dozens of cars waiting for the light to turn back to green. It even does this at 2AM when you are the only car on the road. Stupid.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:19 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I truly do not get the alternating left turns at four way intersections. Why can't either side on the same street turn left at the same time? That adds a lot of time at each intersection.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 AM

617 posts, read 833,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
One particular light I used to go through all the time on OBT will literally turn red at a community entrance for no reason at all. No cars coming out of it, but dozens of cars waiting for the light to turn back to green. It even does this at 2AM when you are the only car on the road. Stupid.
Yup, that sounds like almost every intersection of Orlando.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:47 AM

605 posts, read 712,378 times
I have never spent so much time in my life waiting at red lights as I have here in Orlando. I always joke that you can practically read War and Peace sitting at the lights here....

I DO love the big, open, smooth roads, and the lack of traffic in general (compared to Chicago), but it does seem the timing of the lights is very, very bizarre.

I just learned to adjust my expectations about how long it takes to get anywhere and that has eased most of my frustration. There are tradeoffs with everything. I prefer these long lights to the awful roads and traffic up north.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:26 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
The short left turn lights are what bothers me.

Then the people who are on their phones who don't go when those left lights turn green....... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: