Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:04 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Keep in mind that the majority of PR still had no power going into April. In addition to that, the lead restoration crew (Duke) did a very flimsy, botched job at restoration: Using decaying wooden poles to run conductors on, not building their systems up to spec, etc. Their work there wouldn't even pass their own internal inspections. In a lot of places, one simple car running into a pole will be enough to knock out an entire circuit. That would never happen here.

In other words, the system was rebuilt to it's original standard of quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 03:24 PM

17,282 posts, read 15,476,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In other words, the system was rebuilt to it's original standard of quality.
Pretty much. But why though?

Old 07-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Pretty much. But why though?

I have my theories but that should be a separate discussion.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:52 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Oh god, stop with your race calling, seriously this is why Trump won the election. A non-Black person can't even have dread locks now without getting publicly shamed. Why is every single issue with Democrats these days reverted to race? I don't care if the people are White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Gay, Transgender, or animals... I just think this sense of entitlement is ridiculous and it cannot last forever. There are many entry level jobs available, it's been almost a year since the hurricane, why is government required to continue paying for so long?

And just for the record, my best friend in Orlando is from PR and I don't even consider myself White. Actually, pretty much most of the friends I've made in Orlando are Hispanic and some Asian/Indian. I have 1 White friend in Orlando that I actually hang out with, but yeah I must be a racist for thinking almost 1 year of free hotels is outrageous.

lol seriously kyle...
If you've been paying attention you'd realize that the response of the recovery efforts from the federal government have been half-assed at best and very slow from the get-go. Electric Power restoration was awarded to some small outfit out of Montana that had zero effort/credibility despite many other well-established companies with experience and manpower from previous disasters. https://www.ecmag.com/section/your-b...n-contract-now The medical response was also well below anything seen prior including a none day delay of dispatch of a US medical ship whose abilities were needed ASAP following the storm, yet upon arrival barely worked to fulfill the demand present. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/u...ital-ship.html

Lastly there's this..."In order to be eligible for FEMA aid under the individual assistance program, applicants need proper documents to provide proof of home ownership.

As of May 1, “FEMA has received 1,118,862 million registrations for disaster assistance,” said FEMA spokesperson Ron Roth in a statement to NBC News. ”The number of approved registrations for FEMA grants totals 452,290. The number of registrations deemed ineligible is 335,748.”

The number of denied applications highlights a bigger issue confronting the island — a history of illegal construction and poor housing development, mainly in poorer communities."
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pu...uction-n868396

My point being the reaction witnessed by extended relief seen in places like Louisiana, South Florida and other mainland US locations from varying disasters hasn't been anywhere equal to what's happening in Puerto Rico, both from a governmental perspective as well as from common US citizens...so please, don't try and tell me in the end it's not about race.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM

It's not about race.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:16 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,199,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's not about race.
Exactly. You won't believe what happens next!

Old 07-09-2018, 04:32 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,199,312 times
Puerto Rico has been foreclosed. Usually, though, tenants are evicted prior to demolition.

One of my relatives lost his job of 30 years as a result of what happened on one of the neighboring islands. In his late 50s, he is now looking for a new gig. Not sure what, if anything, he got from the company upon severance. He's been very tight lipped about it.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:32 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,203,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you've been paying attention you'd realize that the response of the recovery efforts from the federal government have been half-assed at best and very slow from the get-go. Electric Power restoration was awarded to some small outfit out of Montana that had zero effort/credibility despite many other well-established companies with experience and manpower from previous disasters. https://www.ecmag.com/section/your-b...n-contract-now The medical response was also well below anything seen prior including a none day delay of dispatch of a US medical ship whose abilities were needed ASAP following the storm, yet upon arrival barely worked to fulfill the demand present. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/u...ital-ship.html

Lastly there's this..."In order to be eligible for FEMA aid under the individual assistance program, applicants need proper documents to provide proof of home ownership.

As of May 1, “FEMA has received 1,118,862 million registrations for disaster assistance,” said FEMA spokesperson Ron Roth in a statement to NBC News. ”The number of approved registrations for FEMA grants totals 452,290. The number of registrations deemed ineligible is 335,748.”

The number of denied applications highlights a bigger issue confronting the island — a history of illegal construction and poor housing development, mainly in poorer communities."
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pu...uction-n868396

My point being the reaction witnessed by extended relief seen in places like Louisiana, South Florida and other mainland US locations from varying disasters hasn't been anywhere equal to what's happening in Puerto Rico, both from a governmental perspective as well as from common US citizens...so please, don't try and tell me in the end it's not about race.
No. It's NOT about race. It's about how poorly Puerto Rico has functioned for decades. They aren't living up the same standards of the US mainland. It's a beautiful island that is located within Hurricane Alley where the populace prefers to speak Spanish and live a very casual lifestyle. And that's why it hasn't been developed into what Hawaii is.

FEMA was set up to help disasters on the mainland. And it's NOT racist that they only want to work with the official owners of the homes. In the US, FEMA works with the insurance companies to give aid to the homeowners to rebuild damaged properties. In the US, FEMA would not be giving aid money to squatters.

And Puerto Rico has had problems with their aging electric grid for DECADES.

These Puerto Ricans in hotels need to find jobs in the areas where they are staying in the hotels. And make plans to stay in America, since they are US citizens. The best way to rebuild Puerto Rico is to slowly work from the major developed areas and bring in the people in the remote areas of the island to the suburb of San Juan. Over time, develop the outer areas, and properly with land deeds and a better power grid. The island has been broken for a long time and is heavily in debt. It can't be 100% fixed in just a year or two years. This is going to be a long term project and needs a really sensible plan.

And Puerto Ricans should be prepared for future big hurricanes to hit the island. It makes more sense for most of them to relocate to the mainland and build roots here. And go back to visit the island for vacation and retirement. But always to keep some family and connections here in case of those future devastations.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:36 PM

764 posts, read 393,640 times
So I assume PR's do not have home insurance and flood insurance?! This would have paid for rebuilding. I have a good friend (Hispanic)in Houston that went through hurricane Harvey last year, they had to be rescued by boat. They had regular home insurance and flood insurance and everything was paid for. Home is rebuilt, new furniture etc. They never worried. This is how normal people live.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 PM

330 posts, read 250,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
So I assume PR's do not have home insurance and flood insurance?! This would have paid for rebuilding.
No they don't, they expect the US government to pay for any loss. This article explains it. Note the date of 1998. They had 20 years to change the way they do things on the island after "Georges" but they did nothing.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/27/b...omeowners.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando