Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,534 times

Advertisements

Is my neighbor being too noisy or am I being too sensitive?

Houses are very close together, about 8 feet. My neighbor and I both have pools and caged lanais. The neighborhood is overall pretty quiet. I have lived in the house for 4 years and didn’t have any issues up until about 9 months ago when they installed an outdoor television and surround sound speakers.

They now host loud parties with several guests pretty much every weekend for 8+ hours a day and it’s made me completely miserable. They always have music on with thudding bass. I bought a water fountain and hoped it would help mask some of the noise, but it does absolutely nothing to help with the bass. Sunday’s are especially annoying to me because not only are many people just talking loudly, but everyone is shouting and yelling over football on the outdoor television and I can hear all the commentary from the football games too. Unless I want to endure their noise, I am forced to wear headphones if I want to sit on my lanai. I also can never have my windows open on a weekend anymore unless I want to listen to their noise all over my house. The days of sitting outside in peace and quiet, listening to the trees rustle in the wind and the birds chirping are over.

We had been friendly in the past, so I did contact them and explained how much the noise bothers me, and they were very rude and basically told me they can do whatever they want as long as it’s prior to 10pm. I had hoped that we could come up with a compromise, say limiting the outdoor parties to once or twice a month instead of every weekend, but they shut me down so fast I didn’t even have a chance to bring it up. I’ve contacted the HOA and they don’t seem to want to get involved or even give me an answer regarding what is acceptable as far as noise volume, duration and frequency.

Am I just being too sensitive? I absolutely don’t expect silence all the time, but their noise seems excessive to me.

I would really appreciate what others think about this, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 04:44 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
You'd have to be able to prove it's unreasonably loud or at unreasonable times. You contacted the HOA, so if they don't think it's an enforceable issue not much you can do about it. It's one of the reasons why homes with tiny lots are cheaper. I don't think there is anything else you can do about it since the noise only bothers you when you are outside. Now if you could get a loud measure while inside the home that might be a different story. I don't think you are being sensitive, but I don't think they are breaking any rules. From their prospective they aren't doing it late at night and they don't like feeling they are being intruded on when enjoying their patio on the weekends. I'm not defending them or you. I think you just need to learn to get used to it since it's only 1-2 days out of the week and only when outside.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:26 AM

617 posts, read 832,097 times
Neither of you are in the wrong and neither of you are in the right at the same time. They shouldn't have been rude about it and yes it probably is excessive for them to be out there all day every weekend with a loud tv and yelling guests, but at the same time it is their property and they are not out there late at night. You could file a civil suit if an attorney is willing to take that on, but getting legal involved would pretty much destroy whatever is left of your neighborly relationship at that point.

Maybe talk to other neighbors that are near them as well. See how they feel about the noise. If you can get multiple neighbors on your side then maybe you can try the HOA again, or file a noise complaint. I'm sure there are ordinances against excessive outdoor noise in a neighborhood, even if it is during the middle of the day.

Best of luck, that's unfortunate to be in that kind of position. Maybe set up an automated air horn on your property, pointed towards their lanai so they get the hint

Old 10-19-2018, 04:59 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I don't think you should have to learn to "get over it" every weekend and sacrifice your home over some self-entitled jerk neighbor. Since the neighbor isn't working with you and neither is the HOA, damned skippy I would be calling the local PD until they cease and desist or come up with a compromise. Clearly they're not good neighbors you're losing an otherwise good relationship with, and unless you put your foot down (or move), I'm afraid you're stuck with the offensive behavior going forward. Bullies are always self-assured that those they've chosen to pick on will cave in (which they're spot on with so far) and until you show you won't be pushed around, wouldn't expect anything different for an outcome.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:15 PM

It's hard to tell the actual situation from just this. I lived in a condo where the downstairs neighbor constantly complained about my noise from walking and I weigh around 150-155. I don't jump, run (tiny condo), or anything unusual and yet it got to the point where I would have to tell any visitor to walk lightly and at night tip toe, not joking. My mom came to visit and she said it's ridiculous you can't walk normal in your own condo. The neighbor wrote a letter and put it on my door. When I bought that condo, it was a foreclosure, the living area had round marks on the laminate. I found out from another neighbor that the previous owner had a bunch of people over to jump up and down. I'm guessing the downstairs neighbor was ridiculous with him as well. The people who bought it have a young child, so I can only imagine what that neighbor is complaining about now. My point is... we don't know the full story, so we shouldn't call the other neighbor a bully. You shouldn't buy a property with no lot lines expecting silence when outside. Now I'm not saying this applies to the OP, just that we don't know the actual situation.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:32 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
my current neighbor had a somewhat similar problem where she used to live. she tried talking/negotiation/cookies...but nothing worked
and apparently made it worse (according to her) since the noise got louder and lasted longer. so, she went high tech. she got a cellphone jammer.
she placed it against her privacy fence. it worked well enough and long enough for her to find a buyer and move. i guess people can not party without a working phone.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
my current neighbor had a somewhat similar problem where she used to live. she tried talking/negotiation/cookies...but nothing worked
and apparently made it worse (according to her) since the noise got louder and lasted longer. so, she went high tech. she got a cellphone jammer.
she placed it against her privacy fence. it worked well enough and long enough for her to find a buyer and move. i guess people can not party without a working phone.

lol isn't that a felony?

Old 10-19-2018, 05:41 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I would just blast back more sound to them with my pricey speaker system.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
yes...jammers are illegal.
they actually work, too.
(what she said )

Old 10-19-2018, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,534 times
Single family homes with defined lot lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando