Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 08:23 AM

144 posts, read 186,381 times

Advertisements

Interested in Del Webb Sunbridge. When you walk into the models (they don't have any yet, but I've been to a few others)....how can you get the upgrades that they showcase? I know that you can pay for some options, like tray ceilings, extra bath, extended porch, etc., but I'm talking about wainscotting, extra trim, special woodworking details. Can they help with that during the build or do you have to wait until the house is built and you have to fend for yourself trying to find local vendors/contractors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 05:19 AM

32 posts, read 95,781 times
Your best bet is to wait until the home is built and get general contractors to make any upgrades. Most of the time the minor upgrades are competitively priced, but many of their "special" upgrades are so overpriced that it would still make sense to wait. That being said, you CAN finance your upgrades in your home purchase which is plus. If you get upgrades after the fact, you'll pay out of pocket or have financing terms that are less favorable than your home loan.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:39 AM

54 posts, read 55,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvisteam View Post
Your best bet is to wait until the home is built and get general contractors to make any upgrades. Most of the time the minor upgrades are competitively priced, but many of their "special" upgrades are so overpriced that it would still make sense to wait. That being said, you CAN finance your upgrades in your home purchase which is plus. If you get upgrades after the fact, you'll pay out of pocket or have financing terms that are less favorable than your home loan.
Great post, and I second that: the only time it makes sense to get these upgrades from the builder is when you can’t pay from them out of pocket. Low interest rates to finance these upgrades will not justify margins that builder will charge. Personally, if I couldn’t pay out of pocket for these items, I would not do it until the time I would be able to pay out of pocket.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
As a homebuilder in the area, I would also say that the builders make huge markups on having them do those items during the build. You will likely find someone to do it for less. In fact, once you move in, start talking to the tradesmen in the neighborhood. Often times they are looking for side jobs which pay much more than working for the company. They don't even really work for the company as they are subs. Basically, the company takes 1/3, material is 1/3 and the sub doing the work takes home 1/3. If you go directly to the sub, they can cut out the company taking 1/3 and cut you a better deal.

Only things I would have the builder do at the time of build are electrical and plumbing. You don't want to have to open up walls, stucco, etc. One thing I always suggested to buyers was a floor outlet in the living room and kitchen hood vents to exterior (they're not standard from all builders).

Old 12-19-2020, 09:50 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderwomanNot View Post
Interested in Del Webb Sunbridge. When you walk into the models (they don't have any yet, but I've been to a few others)....how can you get the upgrades that they showcase? I know that you can pay for some options, like tray ceilings, extra bath, extended porch, etc., but I'm talking about wainscotting, extra trim, special woodworking details. Can they help with that during the build or do you have to wait until the house is built and you have to fend for yourself trying to find local vendors/contractors?
In these communities, there are many retired carpenters, electricans ect. Many of them work part time, in their community....so they do good work, at reasonable prices.....word of mouth is everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando