Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times

Advertisements

I saw a discussion over on the Las Vegas forum about the tap water there and how nasty it is

I personally dont think OUR tap water here in Orlando is nasty. But that thread got me thinking...where does Orange County and Orlando get its water from? Does anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
I Remember when i visited Florida there were lots of Lakes and Reservoirs. I think there are also underground aquifers, since i saw alot of water towers.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
Bleach....

Seriously, I have to use a filter here unless I am really thirsty exercising or something and don't care. When I am in my home state, I drink straight from the tap.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,238 times
Your tap water here is very nasty...sorry. I come from PA and the water there is awesome. I can't choke down tap water here if I tried. It has to be filtered. GAK! There are restaurants I go to around here and I can tell who filters their water for soda/iced tea and who does not. It's bad...I can't tell you where it comes from (I have heard aquafers as well) for sure but...yuk.

Many places use chlorine as a sanitizer...it should not make the water taste bad. And that is not the taste here...The water here also begins to smell bad if left in the pipes say, over the weekend or on vacation without being run. That was not the case up north. I don't know what the issue is here but...I filter all my drinking and cooking water.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:41 AM

Oohhh...here is a nice PDF brochure all about our water

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/dri...chure-2008.pdf

Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Thanks Parrotrosie....since I had no idea! It really isn't the best city water I've ever had. It's not awful....but not really good for tap drinking at all. It is the first time that I actually buy extra water to cook and make coffee with instead of just drinking water.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Thanks Parrotrosie....since I had no idea! It really isn't the best city water I've ever had. It's not awful....but not really good for tap drinking at all. It is the first time that I actually buy extra water to cook and make coffee with instead of just drinking water.
LOL...yes, I agree! Apparently it is quite the long and interesting process, and it is quite potable and safe to drink...but....bleh! But a Pur filter on the tap (and I have a filter in the fridge) gets rid of the bad taste and makes it just fine to drink for me. And that is still alot cheaper than bottles for all the water we drink around here! Plus, I have a plastic hangup......even though it gets recycled here......

Old 05-07-2010, 10:44 AM

258 posts, read 811,980 times
The reason the water here is not as good as some other places is because most of Florida is essentially swamp lands. A lot of the urban areas are built on top of swamps, so what we get is basically swamp water. It has to be filtered and/or chlorinated a lot to be good. Water out of the tap is pretty bad, so I use one of the popular water filters and just use that - makes the water taste just fine. So yeah it takes a little more effort to get good water here.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 AM

331 posts, read 1,052,025 times
I am not sure where the water comes from but as far as taste I think it is fine. I grew up here in Florida and have always drank water out of the tap. One of my roomates who grew up in Mississippi, thinks that the water taste weird. I went to Mississippi with her a few months ago and thought that their water did not taste good. I think it just depends on what you are used to. I tend to drink the water that is filtered through our fridge, but I would have no problem drinking water directly from the faucet either, since that is what we did growing up, before filters were available.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
I think the water in the south in general is bad. It is bad in Georgia too. I was recently up there and the water had that battery acid smell like it sometimes does here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando