Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,304 times

Advertisements

Hello~
I am in need of information on where or what areas, neighborhoods, streets, apartments- what not on West of Orlando or metro area are good. I am not on a high paying income. I can afford to pay up to $1400. I have 3 kids and my oldest is 17. I am a African American who enjoy life and I spend allot of time with my kids and want a good school district.
I want to be blunt if its ok- I do not want to be in a dominant caucasian area or latino or Asian I want all nationality if possible or more african american. I am relocating and I do not want to feel uncomfortable or my kids. I am in a bi-racial relationship so I am not prejudice just my preference and my current area is very diverse.
I do not want to be in a bad area or high crime. I have few distant relatives in Orlando but in different areas such as Ocoee and Winter Garden and Maitland. I am getting pulled in different directions so I am just confused and looking for some advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:41 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Look for places in Windermere and Winter Garden

While not on the West side of Orlando, you should also check out Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park.

Enjoy!

Old 04-13-2019, 11:30 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny0418 View Post
Hello~
I am in need of information on where or what areas, neighborhoods, streets, apartments- what not on West of Orlando or metro area are good. I am not on a high paying income. I can afford to pay up to $1400. I have 3 kids and my oldest is 17. I am a African American who enjoy life and I spend allot of time with my kids and want a good school district.
I want to be blunt if its ok- I do not want to be in a dominant caucasian area or latino or Asian I want all nationality if possible or more african american. I am relocating and I do not want to feel uncomfortable or my kids. I am in a bi-racial relationship so I am not prejudice just my preference and my current area is very diverse.
I do not want to be in a bad area or high crime. I have few distant relatives in Orlando but in different areas such as Ocoee and Winter Garden and Maitland. I am getting pulled in different directions so I am just confused and looking for some advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Look for places in Windermere and Winter Garden

While not on the West side of Orlando, you should also check out Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park.

Enjoy!
All four are a good majority White/White Hispanic and not exactly "diverse". OP, I would recommend checking out Altamonte Springs, specifically the 32714 zip code west of I-4. It comes in at around 55% White, 25% Hispanic and 13% Black, though while not evenly dispersed it's about as mixed as it gets in the area when it comes to safer family-friendly neighborhoods with good schools. I would suggest focusing on the Lake Brantley High School sub-district (boundary map attached), specifically in/around the Forest City area if trying to achieve your housing budget easily.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...88/school.aspx

Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
All four are a good majority White/White Hispanic and not exactly "diverse". OP, I would recommend checking out Altamonte Springs, specifically the 32714 zip code west of I-4. It comes in at around 55% White, 25% Hispanic and 13% Black, though while not evenly dispersed it's about as mixed as it gets in the area when it comes to safer family-friendly neighborhoods with good schools. I would suggest focusing on the Lake Brantley High School sub-district (boundary map attached), specifically in/around the Forest City area if trying to achieve your housing budget easily.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...88/school.aspx
you stated all 4 are good majority white? So Altamonte Springs is the best suggestion for diverse? Is Windemere/Winter Garden area cheaper in rent than West? Some apartments complexes on a good rating scale rent seem a bit higher that Metro area and that is why I am turned to west.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM

88 posts, read 91,061 times
@Destiny.. I am in similar situation moving soon to Orlando and trying to narrow down which area to live. A associate of mine told me if on west to stay near South Hiawassee- but I still do not know of any apartments for that area.
I did hear to stay away from Pine Hills.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 PM
aax

710 posts, read 497,294 times
Well, there are almost no Asians here so you don't have to worry about being in an Asian neighborhood. They don't exist.

Be aware the "White Hispanic" neighborhoods that Kyle is talking about will go all Hispanic over time.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:06 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Hello~
Quote:
you stated all 4 are good majority white? So Altamonte Springs is the best suggestion for diverse? Is Windemere/Winter Garden area cheaper in rent than West? Some apartments complexes on a good rating scale rent seem a bit higher that Metro area and that is why I am turned to west.
It seems you're clinging desperately to the idea of a minority-majority neighborhood that's safe/not high crime and in a good school district. Unfortunately that doesn't exist here which is why I pointed you in the direction of not only an area you could afford within budget but also where crime isn't a major concern, where significant diversity exists and within a better than average school district.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:34 AM

85 posts, read 99,239 times
I would disregard the color and race of your neighbors and look more towards your desires for the community as far as crime, schools, activities etc as well as your commute to work. Imagine if a white man posted this:

Hello~
I am in need of information on where or what areas, neighborhoods, streets, apartments- what not on West of Orlando or metro area are good. I am not on a high paying income. I can afford to pay up to $1400. I have 3 kids and my oldest is 17. I am a Caucasian who enjoy life and I spend allot of time with my kids and want a good school district.
I want to be blunt if its ok- I do not want to be in a dominant black area or Latino or Asian I want all nationality if possible or more Caucasian. I am relocating and I do not want to feel uncomfortable or my kids. I am in a bi-racial relationship so I am not prejudice just my preference and my current area is very narrow.

It would sure sound narrow minded.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Thank you - I see your point. Much appreciated!

Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFL78 View Post
I would disregard the color and race of your neighbors and look more towards your desires for the community as far as crime, schools, activities etc as well as your commute to work. Imagine if a white man posted this:

Hello~
I am in need of information on where or what areas, neighborhoods, streets, apartments- what not on West of Orlando or metro area are good. I am not on a high paying income. I can afford to pay up to $1400. I have 3 kids and my oldest is 17. I am a Caucasian who enjoy life and I spend allot of time with my kids and want a good school district.
I want to be blunt if its ok- I do not want to be in a dominant black area or Latino or Asian I want all nationality if possible or more Caucasian. I am relocating and I do not want to feel uncomfortable or my kids. I am in a bi-racial relationship so I am not prejudice just my preference and my current area is very narrow.

It would sure sound narrow minded.
Im sorry if my post made you feel away.!
I did not say anything hurtful or disrespectful! I dont get your point! Thank you for your suggestion but the smart comment keep to your self.
But where I am from we are not around the bush im straight to the point. Also if you really clearly read my post it do indicate "I am in a bi-racial relationship so I am not prejudice just "my preference"....

My family has many different nationalities - my spouse is in your terms a "white man" and my grandfather is white. If any a white man, blue or purple was to post my post - I do not see any harm in what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando