Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:55 AM

33 posts, read 182,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
Read through the Sentinel and you can't help but notice that the city councils governing the towns surrounding Orlando (Maitland and Winter Park come to mind) have very small town mentalities and are really trying to fight the inevitable. All that they really do is making our growing pains much worse.

As a related topic, does anyone think the planned commuter rail will hope? And does anyone else feel like I do that some how our local government will find a way to F*%$ this oppurtunity up?
My mother was on the Maitland transportation board. She certainly did not have a small town mentality (she even supported the redevelopment plans for the Horatio/17-92 area). The relatively few actions Maitland undertakes which slow down traffic (the school zone on Horatio, the barricade on one of the Maitland Blvd/I-4 offramps, the speed bumps on certain residential streets, etc.) are done in the name of safety. The city wants to mitigate the number of accidents. Maitland Blvd, in particular, has a large number of accidents. (As a side note, the slower the speed of traffic, the lower the number of accidents and the less serious those accidents are.)

I can't really comment about Winter Park, other than to say that I like the re-bricking program.

It's not the fault of Maitland that the outlying cities were built/developed on an ad hoc basis without a metropolitan area plan, and that this led to bottlenecks in the older parts of town.

The commuter rail can help. With gas prices what they are, people will be more amenable to cutting costs via using rail. I wish it would start operating sooner, as I would use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeblt View Post
The commuter rail can help. With gas prices what they are, people will be more amenable to cutting costs via using rail. I wish it would start operating sooner, as I would use it.
The light rail is dead. It is a shame.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:38 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeblt View Post
I can't really comment about Winter Park, other than to say that I like the re-bricking program..
I don't. Brick is really not very fun to ride on a motorcycle or bicycle, nor is it great to walk on. Also, the brick streets are poor quality, very bumpy, not even good brick. To me, it's anti-mobility NIMBY-ism, about like Windemere and their gravel roads.

Will Winter Park pick up the tab for new shocks?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 AM

292 posts, read 725,506 times
Orlando looks like the whole city was built up as quickly as it possibly could, just assuming people were always going to move down here. It's almost like something you'd see from Sim City where you have this 2 lane road and you put half your city on that road. If you want an alternative to Orlando look at Phoenix. It's one of the nation's largest cities yet the whole city is located on a grid. They have a loop which requires no turnpikes. You'll never see Phoenix in the horrible traffic category like Orlando despite its size. I drove around that city and couldn't believe how I was NOT STRESSED driving. We all know Orlando driving is a nightmare, no way around it.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,604 times
Anyone who thinks Miami is not as bad as Orlando has never driven the two. I'm sure you can fudge the #'s to make Miami statistically better, but in the real world of actually doing it, Miami is light years behind Orlando.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Anyone who thinks Miami is not as bad as Orlando has never driven the two. I'm sure you can fudge the #'s to make Miami statistically better, but in the real world of actually doing it, Miami is light years behind Orlando.
I'm in Miami but spend lots of time in Orlando and there's no way Miami is better than Orlando.Miami is not as bad as an L.A or D.C or the other well know high traffic cities,but it's very close.I've found Orlando to have problem areas but overall it's nowhere near Miami,plus there's more ground streets to use as backup in case I-4 gets backed up.Tampa is a city that even though I've spent less time in I can only remember being in backed up traffic like once.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 AM

388 posts, read 790,774 times
Having moved here from NOVA outside of DC there is NO comparison at all. Sure I-4 has it's issues around the tourist corridor and traffic around downtown is stop and go during rush hour, but it's nothing like these other cities. The only area that really gets me is 436 around altamonte, which really reminds me of NOVA, so I stay the hell out of there at all costs. While you need to pay a little bit to ride them, the toll roads are really a great way to get around with little or no traffic even during rush hour. The fact that I can drive to Winter Park during rush hour from SW Orlando in under an hour says a lot, cause a similar trip from the burbs to DC during rush hour would take about 2 hours.

The people that complain must not have driven in Chicago, LA, DC, or even Atlanta. Oh, and Miami is so much worse...

Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Orlando traffic is totally manageable by comparison to many major metros. I think of Orlando as just being very congested but not a nightmare. Only people who have not lived in big cities with truly bad traffic say the traffic here is really bad. LA is the worst I have ever experienced, bar none. Atlanta and DC are next, heck the entire BosWash corridor is awful. Miami is most definitely worse than Orlando. I'll take Orlando traffic every day over those.

Last edited by Pete C; 11-29-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Are you serious? US1 in miami after I-95 is a perpetual parking lot, day and night. Miami is much worse than Orlando. The Palmetto expressway is much worse than anything in Orlando

Miami?s Palmetto Expressway among most congested - South Florida Business Journal

Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 AM

141 posts, read 320,351 times
My thought is the people who think Orlando traffic is bad have either never lived anywhere else (because Orlando has some of the easiest traffic I've ever seen). Or else they have to deal with I-4 daily (which seems easily avoided).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando