Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 39,220 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me some advice about your PreK system in Osceola County? This is so different from Ohio. We just had plain old "preschool" there. It was ages 3-kind age and was all private pay. It was also cheaper than what I have seen here.

I was planning on sending my daughter to preschool maybe 3 days a week next year. I feel like 5 days is way too much for her. I guess the state funded system if 5 days only? The private church schools I have looked at are more expensive than I wanted to pay. Are there other options I am missing?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:52 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,683 times
There are a lot of private schools that have the VPK (as in the free program). I know that Trinity Lutheran, Most of the La Petites, Community Presbyterian Preschool in Celebration and many more. Here is a link to the schools that had it this year: http://www.elcosceola.org/FORMS/07-0...%20Profile.pdf

Although most (if not all) are going to be 5 days, it is only for 3 hours a day. IMO, I believe this is a perfect amount of time for their age. I have signed my son up for public Pre-school only because I got an early appointment and got to pick the school to send him and decided on Pleasant Hill Elementary. They give a choice of a morning or afternoon class. Here is the link to sign up for an appointment with the county: 0708info (http://www.osceola.k12.fl.us/depts/extday/0809info.htm - broken link)

One thing to keep in mind is that with the VPK program is that the teachers are not required to have a Teaching Certificate. I think you would get a better chance of getting a Certified teacher with the public schools than the private ones from experience.

If you can afford it, the best, best, best Pre-school around is the First United Methodist of Kissimmee. They have a 3 day program and one of the best teachers in Central Florida teaches it (pm me if you want her name). It's a little on the expensive side but cheaper than a 5 day program that isn't VPK. Here is a link to their site: First United Methodist School Kissimmee, Florida

I have done this 3 times now so I pretty much know this process inside and out. Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,579 times
Default VPK teacher

Just wanted to add as a VPK teacher you do have to have a CDA (Child Development Associate) a 2 yr degree. Also, you must have multiple specific to VPK 30 hr plus classes and multiple literacy classes as well as be trained in the Doors to Discovery literacy curriculum (4 hr class). Each teacher is required to have 25 in-service training hrs per school year which have to be done NOT during school hrs and be a licensed company. While anyone with a 4yr degree or teaching certificate can teach any age level; a teacher that has specifically taken their CDA in birth to 5 yrs and has met all the VPK training requirements will be much better equipped to teach 4 & 5 yr olds everything that is expected of them to learn in a 3hr program. You cannot just walk off the street & teach VPK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: