Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 08:26 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Ah. Arrogant. Ok, I'll be your huckleberry.

I challenged you on your comment "I think we can now agree this is not a "supposedly thriving economy" and Wall Street's prior numbers were not sustainable or indicative of the American economy overall."

Obviously, this is all based on the pre-virus economy, or YOU would have stated otherwise. Phrasing matters. As for that pre-virus economy, unemployment was still at record lows, 6+ million jobs were going unfilled due to not enough workers, and consumer buying power and sentiment was very high. These factors easily supported Dow 29k+ (pre-virus).

Now that the virus has set in, of course we are going to see the kinds of number you're referencing, but that was not the point being made initially. Got it?
Still touting the fluffed numbers... The "pre-virus economy" featured employment numbers that do not factor those under-employed (part timers seeking full time or working two part time jobs due to lack of options) or rent to income inequity which is rampant especially here in Orlando (among many other cities). The majority of unfilled jobs are service sector, part time and have no benefits which hardly provide the buying power or high sentiments you speak of. In other words all the feel good was being generated by corporations and their gosh darn luck of having further tax relief incentives provided which went straight to profit and gave all of their already well-off shareholders those ooey-gooey sentiments you attribute toward all consumers. Smoke and mirrors prosperity, a Trump specialty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 AM

764 posts, read 392,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Still touting the fluffed numbers... The "pre-virus economy" featured employment numbers that do not factor those under-employed (part timers seeking full time or working two part time jobs due to lack of options) or rent to income inequity which is rampant especially here in Orlando (among many other cities). The majority of unfilled jobs are service sector, part time and have no benefits which hardly provide the buying power or high sentiments you speak of. In other words all the feel good was being generated by corporations and their gosh darn luck of having further tax relief incentives provided which went straight to profit and gave all of their already well-off shareholders those ooey-gooey sentiments you attribute toward all consumers. Smoke and mirrors prosperity, a Trump specialty.
You are only saying this because you are a democrat and Want a democrat in there, heaven forbid. I have some relatives like you, "I've always been a democrat blah blah blah" or "I was brought up a democrat, mommy and daddy were dems, blah blah blah " No rhyme or reason just stayin a dem.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:47 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
You are only saying this because you are a democrat and Want a democrat in there, heaven forbid. I have some relatives like you, "I've always been a democrat blah blah blah" or "I was brought up a democrat, mommy and daddy were dems, blah blah blah " No rhyme or reason just stayin a dem.
Oh please, fill in the blanks with Republican and you get the same oft-regurgitated argument. I'm saying what I'm saying through my own formulated thoughts via my understanding of current events which come from reading the news through varying sources, and furthermore Mommy and Daddy were both Republicans. So move along now, the adults are having a conversation.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Oh please, fill in the blanks with Republican and you get the same oft-regurgitated argument. I'm saying what I'm saying through my own formulated thoughts via my understanding of current events which come from reading the news through varying sources, and furthermore Mommy and Daddy were both Republicans. So move along now, the adults are having a conversation.
Nope, sorry. I used to de a dem (((shudder))) then I grew a brain! If you truly did read and COMPREHEND, you would not be a dem, trust me!

Old 03-29-2020, 02:37 PM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
Nope, sorry. I used to de a dem (((shudder))) then I grew a brain! If you truly did read and COMPREHEND, you would not be a dem, trust me!
Depends. If you like handouts for being lazy...

Old 03-29-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Depends. If you like handouts for being lazy...
True.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:46 PM

491 posts, read 518,925 times
Publix is fine. If you make more money shop at whole foods. If you make less go to Walmart.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:47 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
And they are starting to take NFC payments (i.e. Apple Pay, Android Pay, and your credit/debit cards with the wifi symbol on them)!

Old 04-01-2020, 12:54 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
We discussed Charlotte on page 2 of this thread as an example of how Publix is doing in a more competitive market.

Well, while we are here arguing about which regional grocer is going to win, Walmart has captured the top position in Charlotte for 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...local.amp.html

I looked up the source from the story, which is Chain Store Guide, but I kept getting warning messages from my browser. So, I didn't click through. Either their site is compromised, or they didn't renew their security certificate (that HTTPS thing). The Biz Journal says that Walmart is now No. 1, Harris Teeter (aka Kroger) is No 2., and that Food Lion is No 3. I'd be curious if Publix retained its No. 4 status in the region.

If the doomsday economic scenario does happen as a result of COVID-19, that'll be good for the discounters like Walmart, Aldi, Lidl, and Dollar General. Shopping will be more about lowest price than convenience, gourmet/ organics, and/or store ambiance. However, couponing will see an uptick as well. All of those popular coupon bloggers grew in popularity as a result of the 2008 to 2011 or so recovery. The TLC Extreme Couponing show came out during that time.

Publix is arguably one of the best grocery stores in the country to use coupons.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:13 AM

786 posts, read 626,812 times
The Presedente in Kissimmee is in a terrible location. There are bumps all over the place and sketchy people living and working out of their cars there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando