Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,183 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am orchestrating a move down to Orlando for end of December entirely out of state. My fiancé and I went down a couple weeks ago to get a lay of the land, and it seems Winter Park is one of the areas that would a) be equidistant from the offices he will be required to drive to and b) give me a good somewhat walkable little town. I will be working entirely from home, so for me a safe quiet and lowkey place is important.

It’s just us for now, we’re early 30s and fairly quiet, but do enjoy an active lifestyle. I’ve been looking at the apartment buildings there, mainly Juno and Bainbridge, which both ofocurse have impressive websites and a fair # of positive google reviews. Juno however has multiple reviews referencing college students due to nearby Rollins. That would be an absolute deal breaker for me - and I’m surprised that a nice apartment building like this would allow any students to use it as a sort of “dorm”.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these buildings or WP in general? We’re not ready to buy yet, but like that when we are, WP is very family friendly and known for good schools (so I’ve heard).

Any input is really appreciated! I’m deciding my life based on Google reviews and websites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 09:09 AM

17,145 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Have you considered nearby Baldwin Park?
Similar vibe, probably more walkable, and absolutely no college kids.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:51 AM

27,174 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Neither the Juno or Bainbridge apartment complexes are anywhere close to "student housing". Both are managed by traditional property management companies and each are geared toward working professionals. Their two bedrooms start above $2000 a month which is well above the overall market average rent so it's not likely there's a huge student presence there. By nature of the fact they're near Rollins College you'll have some students involved no doubt from well to do families picking up the tab, however I do believe your probable visions of a scene from Animal House are misguided. Rollins is an elite liberal arts college and their students geared toward law school or medical school typically so they tend to be more mature/more driven to succeed than UCF for instance, or any other larger state university. If you love the Winter Park vibe and walkability, I wouldn't hesitate to move there if it fits your budget.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:31 AM

Disagree on the Rollins kids, Kyle. No offense, but I used to hang out with them during my college days. They are no different than what you would find off campus around UCF or USF. Spent plenty time at pool halls and bars on Fairbanks, and they were just as wild. If anything, more cocaine and weird stuff, because they could afford it.

That said, I would absolutely move there, as the concentration of nonsense isn’t high. But if wanting to fully avoid any of that, while wanting an even more walkable place in the same area, Baldwin Park is a no brained to me. Similarly-priced, just as safe, more “urban,” and still close to everything near WP.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Disagree on the Rollins kids, Kyle. No offense, but I used to hang out with them during my college days. They are no different than what you would find off campus around UCF or USF. Spent plenty time at pool halls and bars on Fairbanks, and they were just as wild. If anything, more cocaine and weird stuff, because they could afford it.

That said, I would absolutely move there, as the concentration of nonsense isn’t high. But if wanting to fully avoid any of that, while wanting an even more walkable place in the same area, Baldwin Park is a no brained to me. Similarly-priced, just as safe, more “urban,” and still close to everything near WP.
I agree regarding BP because I now realize those are not the buildings on Morse Blvd that it turns out after Googling are condos. The buildings in question are at 17-92 and Lee Rd which has a ton nearby but not the walkable vibe probably preferred. There's a ton of traffic/busy streets to deal with. I'm afraid I'm brain dead after too many celebratory toddies yesterday...

Old 11-09-2020, 01:24 PM

28 posts, read 27,206 times
That area of WP isn't very walkable. Those are extremely congested, busy roads. I love WP but Baldwin is probably more what you're looking for. And they're right next to each other. I have a friend who has actually lived in both. There will be Rollins students -- who aren't known for lacking money -- but more young professionals.

If you're willing to consider something besides an apartment, Winter Park has many areas you might like: the East End market area is hipster-y that and might be in your budget, the area by WP high is very family-oriented, the area around WP Village has become nicer and you could walk to the village or Park Ave. Other areas are.... very expensive.

But, I think for a transplant looking for a family-friendly, young-professional-oriented, walkable area, Baldwin is still your best bet. That's pretty much the definition of Baldwin. (Someone will probably comment saying that's an over-simplification, but still.)

Old 11-09-2020, 04:17 PM

I agree with above and if looking for something less polished and "planned", Audubon Park is where East End Market is located and has a main street of sorts with some very nice independent businesses plus the best farmers market in the city. https://audubonparkgardens.com/

Last edited by kyle19125; 11-09-2020 at 04:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 10:31 AM

210 posts, read 270,802 times
Baldwin Park and winter park are very different, I would not lump those together. But... Juno and Bainbridge are not in walkable winter park.

If you want walkable winter park you may have to forgo all the bells and whistles of new apartment complexes. I'd also look at the Q in Maitland or Maitland City center. much more direct route to park ave.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Baldwin Park and winter park are very different, I would not lump those together. But... Juno and Bainbridge are not in walkable winter park.

If you want walkable winter park you may have to forgo all the bells and whistles of new apartment complexes. I'd also look at the Q in Maitland or Maitland City center. much more direct route to park ave.
How are they "very different?" Seems like the demographic is very similar in both areas, with BP having less of the college crowd. It's not so much about lumping the two together, but more about what the OP seems to be looking for, and why he/she is particularly interested in Winter Park.
In addition to being entirely walkable and having its own decent-sized "downtown" and shopping district, it is also an easy and short bike ride to the heart of Winter Park through some very nice areas, and unlike coming from Maitland, does not require driving/riding/walking on or along busy highways.
Maitland is making strides at being more urban, but is still a far stretch from what I'd consider "walkable."
Given the OP, I think this is about as good as it gets, for the price:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...77266928_zpid/

I agree with Kyle that Audubon Park is also worth considering.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:01 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
OP, you might also take a look at College Park, a very nice, very walkable neighborhood just a few minutes' drive from Winter Park.

Here's a new apartment building in CP, and I see they're offering a promotional deal if you move in before the end of December. Lots of shops and restaurants, plus Publix and CVS, within easy walking distance.

https://www.theprincetonatcollegepark.com/#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando