Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 03:34 PM

22 posts, read 16,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHapner View Post
oh great, another mover...just what Orlando and Florida needs. Good luck.
And they say New Yorkers are mean. So many people move to NY for higher paying jobs and a better life I personally know of some from Florida it really goes both ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Oviedo is a good option as Kyle said.

If you want to be closer to work in Orlando proper, consider the areas whose schools feed into Winter Park HS. That would include the city of Winter Park, possibly much of the City of Maitland, and the Orlando neighborhood of Baldwin Park.

Dr. Phillips HS area neighborhoods could also be good choices.

Additionally, Boone HS area neighborhoods that include Blankner School as the K-8 schoolmay suit your needs. Real estate home sale signs often say “zoned for Blankner” given the reputation of the school.

Please note that many homes that fit your description in these areas may be at the top of your budget.
Thank you for your helpfulness, I’ll certainly take a closer look at the areas you mentioned. I’ll have to fly down to look at them in the coming weeks.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
This is what has driven the cost of housing so high in Orlando.

People flee NY/NJ to Orlando for better opportunity and lower cost of living. Then they get here and try to change it to the place they left.
I never mentioned WHY I’m moving. Im thankful to Christ that I do very well in NY and don’t need to move for better anything. My budget here is way more because I make almost twice as much here as what I will make in Florida. Maybe one day I’ll be back in NY but for now I just need a nice neighborhood with good schools and a decent commute. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You two and Army are all correct.

While Orlando isn't expensive compared to other parts of the country, it could be expensive for those who started their careers here and want to grow them here. Meanwhile, people from more expensive areas will come in and buy homes for higher than asking price because it's still "cheap" compared to where they come from, effectively pricing out longer term residents out of the market.
That’s just life. NY/NJ are expensive because people want to live and work in these areas due to the potential for higher paying jobs. People come from all over the county.

The home prices near NYC are also increasing, FYI it’s NOT just Florida.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:30 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
SarahHapner=CVPFord

I know lots of people who've moved from NY to FL, and NOT ONE OF THEM is there to change anything. They couldn't care less about politics. They just want to live out the rest of their lives in sunshine and warmth and easy living. They don't need your approval.
It's not all about politics....

For example, we've had some intense, multi-page debates on City-Data in the past about grocery stores of all things from transplants who I guess read Buzzfeed articles or the myriad of rankings lists mentioning this store called Publix. Then they move here only to be disappointed compared to their Wegmans, H-E-B, Heinen's, Meijer, Kroger (or Kroger subsidiary), etc. store where they are from.

Of course not everyone is like that, but the few who are tend to be very loud lol.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:22 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
You two and Army are all correct.

While Orlando isn't expensive compared to other parts of the country, it could be expensive for those who started their careers here and want to grow them here. Meanwhile, people from more expensive areas will come in and buy homes for higher than asking price because it's still "cheap" compared to where they come from, effectively pricing out longer term residents out of the market.
Then factor in Chinese investors paying cash for $500k homes in Windermere and it all adds up more to increased cost of living.

The reliance on Orlando's economy based on tourism, which has really been hurt during COVID, should make the locals understand they're fighting a losing battle. The mouse doesn't care because it's charging people $20 to park...

Quote:
It's not all about politics....

For example, we've had some intense, multi-page debates on City-Data in the past about grocery stores of all things from transplants who I guess read Buzzfeed articles or the myriad of rankings lists mentioning this store called Publix. Then they move here only to be disappointed compared to their Wegmans, H-E-B, Heinen's, Meijer, Kroger (or Kroger subsidiary), etc. store where they are from.

Of course not everyone is like that, but the few who are tend to be very loud lol.
I like Publix, I feel the service and quality of products is pretty good. Never saw the hype with H-E-B or Meijer but I like Kroger.

Plus, I absolutely love the deli at Publix. Where I am now, there isn't a Publix and I miss it very much. We have Walmart and Albertson's which is

Old 12-06-2020, 07:56 AM

32 posts, read 28,408 times
People are free to move and live anywhere in the USA. That's a good thing. Posters here are free to speak about the negative effects on the State, the economy and the future.

No one has to agree with the mass migration that is occurring....most coming from places like NY seem strangely arrogant and easily angered if residents of FL don't welcome the invasion.

Texans are experiencing a similar invasion as well...ditto Arkansas, middle and east Tennessee. You can even read some of the pushback right here on CD in other states' forums. Pushback discussion is common as heck all over CD, and many many other public access internet forums, and in conventional media. Pushback on transplants is commonplace for the last 2 years. It's not some kind of odd anomaly.

Discussion and pushback should be normal and expected. Why should natives and locals resign themselves and become silent? That's silly. Expressing disdain about overcrowding, and inflated pricing is quite legitimate. Moreover it should be expected.

Migration is being heavily discussed all over America, so is "immigration". Some people want "open borders", others think it's a bad idea for the nation. Interstate migration can be good, some interstate migration can be bad. Any rational person should accept and understand that.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:12 AM

490 posts, read 518,516 times
Quote:
This is what has driven the cost of housing so high in Orlando.

People flee NY/NJ to Orlando for better opportunity and lower cost of living. Then they get here and try to change it to the place they left.
Isn't that the story of America??

Old 12-07-2020, 05:15 AM

490 posts, read 518,516 times
Quote:
Then factor in Chinese investors paying cash for $500k homes in Windermere and it all adds up more to increased cost of living.

The reliance on Orlando's economy based on tourism, which has really been hurt during COVID, should make the locals understand they're fighting a losing battle. The mouse doesn't care because it's charging people $20 to park...

I like Publix, I feel the service and quality of products is pretty good. Never saw the hype with H-E-B or Meijer but I like Kroger.

Plus, I absolutely love the deli at Publix. Where I am now, there isn't a Publix and I miss it very much. We have Walmart and Albertson's which is
Covid also will give people the opportunity to work from home which means anywhere with internet.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:03 AM

32 posts, read 28,408 times
^^^this is true, but it doesn't mean there are no negative effects!

For example: what if 20% of Silicon Valley CA's workforce decided it would be just peachy to decide to move and work from "home" and migrate to Maui, Hawaii, what on earth do you think would happen to the infrastructure and environment of Maui with limited resources?

If Goldman Sachs and Bank of America's NYC sales and trading division and back office operation thought it was a good idea to "work from home" and 70% of their employees "always wanted to live in Orlando or Tampa Bay" so they moved to Florida, what do you think would happen to the limited resources of Hillsborough and Orange Counties? the law enforcement? the healthcare delivery system? the housing stock? the roads? the Retail establishments? the school system?

It's not just freedom to move, that's a given, but one man's freedom may become every man's

burden - i.e. a strain on resources, services, water, environment, and fiscal stability.

Then, there are sociocultural ramifications - some good, some quite awful.

A similar truth and case can be made about an invasion of people who want to move to Florida, Texas, LA, AL or GA, from places like Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, CANADA, HAITI etc.

They TOO, want to "move" for "themselves" and their families. This sort of invasion produces very similar negative effects on key states and economies....not to mention culture.

We can't afford "open borders" as a Nation. Key US States can not afford all massive interstate migration on TOP of unmitigated global immigration.

Look at want happened to the State of California over the past centuries. It's a disaster of their own making, now it's at a tipping point and people are running out of CA to screw up AZ, Nevada, WA, TX, and now Florida.....

This migration is not automatically sustainable, that's a lie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando