Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 06:12 AM

22 posts, read 16,805 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family will be moving to the Orlando area as soon as our home sells in NY. Hopefully within the next six months. We have two school aged children and schools are one of the most important things to us. My oldest takes honors and AP courses and earned his first college credits from the college board in 9th grade. I hope to continue that if possible. My youngest needs a little extra help with math at the moment and his school offers 1:1 tutoring with his teacher prior to school at no cost. I want him to continue to get whatever help he needs. He is not special needs and is meeting grade level requirements but his teacher sees that he struggles; in many schools he would not qualify for any services so I’m sad to leave my district but hoping to find something comparable.

Our budget is between $450,000-550,000 and we would like to have a larger home preferably greater than 2500sq ft with at least 4 bedrooms and a pool. We could afford more (600,000-700,000) and I suppose for the right house in the perfect area we would consider it but we are EXTREMELY conservative with money and we really want to stay in the budget if possible.

I was looking into Oviedo because of the schools. I went and looked at the area last week during a quick trip and it seemed very nice. It looks like I may end up working right in the city of Orlando so I’m not sure how doable that commute will be at 6am & 7pm. Please advise.

If there are better areas to look at please let me know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 06:47 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Welcome to Central Florida! Oviedo is probably your best option for schools and proximity to Orlando depending upon where in the city you're working. Although the times mentioned are generally well outside of rush hour peaks which are typically at least 7am and not later than 6-6:30. Your housing budget should hold up well in Oviedo with the 450k-550K range as well.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:02 AM

32 posts, read 28,415 times
oh great, another mover...just what Orlando and Florida needs. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:13 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Oviedo is a good option as Kyle said.

If you want to be closer to work in Orlando proper, consider the areas whose schools feed into Winter Park HS. That would include the city of Winter Park, possibly much of the City of Maitland, and the Orlando neighborhood of Baldwin Park.

Dr. Phillips HS area neighborhoods could also be good choices.

Additionally, Boone HS area neighborhoods that include Blankner School as the K-8 schoolmay suit your needs. Real estate home sale signs often say “zoned for Blankner” given the reputation of the school.

Please note that many homes that fit your description in these areas may be at the top of your budget.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:16 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHapner View Post
This is what has driven the cost of housing so high in Orlando.

People flee NY/NJ to Orlando for better opportunity and lower cost of living. Then they get here and try to change it to the place they left.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:45 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
This is what has driven the cost of housing so high in Orlando.

People flee NY/NJ to Orlando for better opportunity and lower cost of living. Then they get here and try to change it to the place they left.
Well, there's always the option of moving someplace more to your liking. The average home price in the Orlando metro is 285K, with the US average at 230K, so as a major metro area I wouldn't call the "expensive".

Old 12-05-2020, 08:19 AM

32 posts, read 28,415 times
Army's point is factual. Army shouldn't be castigated for understanding how inflated house prices occur, and have occurred with the wholesale migration of people from other states such as New York and New Jersey. Now you have too many people pursuing too few goods - that's a definition of inflation. Housing prices were NEVER on this kind of price trajectory so quickly. The average price of Orlando has NEVER been this high until fairly recently, fueled by these clowns coming here driving up prices, thinking "oh heck, that's all they want for this house? a house like this in Jersey would cast me twice that" then they proceed to pay list price or a jacked up price from the developer or a greedy re-seller/agent. That's how this price jump occurred - THATS BAD FOR THE REGION. We already have over-crowding, too much, how is that a good thing?

Orlando, and Tampa Bay region is under siege and in trouble already.

Old 12-05-2020, 01:36 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Well, there's always the option of moving someplace more to your liking. The average home price in the Orlando metro is 285K, with the US average at 230K, so as a major metro area I wouldn't call the "expensive".
Quote:
Army's point is factual. Army shouldn't be castigated for understanding how inflated house prices occur, and have occurred with the wholesale migration of people from other states such as New York and New Jersey. Now you have too many people pursuing too few goods - that's a definition of inflation. Housing prices were NEVER on this kind of price trajectory so quickly. The average price of Orlando has NEVER been this high until fairly recently, fueled by these clowns coming here driving up prices, thinking "oh heck, that's all they want for this house? a house like this in Jersey would cast me twice that" then they proceed to pay list price or a jacked up price from the developer or a greedy re-seller/agent. That's how this price jump occurred - THATS BAD FOR THE REGION. We already have over-crowding, too much, how is that a good thing?

Orlando, and Tampa Bay region is under siege and in trouble already.
You two and Army are all correct.

While Orlando isn't expensive compared to other parts of the country, it could be expensive for those who started their careers here and want to grow them here. Meanwhile, people from more expensive areas will come in and buy homes for higher than asking price because it's still "cheap" compared to where they come from, effectively pricing out longer term residents out of the market.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:13 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,769 times
Quote:
SarahHapner=CVPFord

It's not about what Orlando and Florida needs. It's about what the person who is moving needs. Your incessant complaining is not stopping anyone from taking their big money and moving to Florida to live large if they feel like it. America, land of the free.

Here's a secret: Just as they are free to move to FL, you are free to leave FL if their presence bothers you so much!

I know lots of people who've moved from NY to FL, and NOT ONE OF THEM is there to change anything. They couldn't care less about politics. They just want to live out the rest of their lives in sunshine and warmth and easy living. They don't need your approval.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:30 PM

22 posts, read 16,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Welcome to Central Florida! Oviedo is probably your best option for schools and proximity to Orlando depending upon where in the city you're working. Although the times mentioned are generally well outside of rush hour peaks which are typically at least 7am and not later than 6-6:30. Your housing budget should hold up well in Oviedo with the 450k-550K range as well.
Thank you! I’m glad to hear I will be missing rush hour. That’s generally the same where I am but I wasn’t sure if Orlando would be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando