Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 07:31 PM

63 posts, read 86,703 times

Advertisements

Hello! I would be curious to know peoples' opinions about the live music scene in Florida. Here are the points I need to try to answer:

1. What areas of Florida have a high density of people mid-20's to mid-40s that like to go out to clubs and bars?
2. In that age demographic, where are the upper-mid to upper classes generally located?

I am looking at Florida as a place to start a couple high-end wedding and cover band businesses. I'd also want to be keeping those businesses busy during off-peak times by putting bands in larger bar and club venues, as well as resorts.

In your opinion, what is the best centrally-located area to be able to relatively easily access these types of markets? I'm talking about living somewhere suburban, with 1-2 hour drives to job sites. Posting in Orlando because I'm largely ignorant of most things Florida related except for public policy, which is the main factor for me.

Would be very grateful for any insight you can offer! Thanks in advance for everyone's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 12:09 AM

786 posts, read 629,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swelshbucket View Post
Hello! I would be curious to know peoples' opinions about the live music scene in Florida. Here are the points I need to try to answer:

1. What areas of Florida have a high density of people mid-20's to mid-40s that like to go out to clubs and bars?
2. In that age demographic, where are the upper-mid to upper classes generally located?

I am looking at Florida as a place to start a couple high-end wedding and cover band businesses. I'd also want to be keeping those businesses busy during off-peak times by putting bands in larger bar and club venues, as well as resorts.

In your opinion, what is the best centrally-located area to be able to relatively easily access these types of markets? I'm talking about living somewhere suburban, with 1-2 hour drives to job sites. Posting in Orlando because I'm largely ignorant of most things Florida related except for public policy, which is the main factor for me.

Would be very grateful for any insight you can offer! Thanks in advance for everyone's time.

If I were to up a Wedding Entertainment business, I'd base it in Ft. Lauderdale. That way you can realistically serve Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and as probably as far north as West Palm. You can even work your way into the Keys for extra costs. You can find plenty of Musicians, and DJs in the area and are always up for travel for a paying gig.

The demographics are probably exactly what you are looking for, and there is plenty of money to be made there.

Are you in the planning phase, or do you have equipment/staff/resources???

Old 12-29-2020, 06:06 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
If I were to up a Wedding Entertainment business, I'd base it in Ft. Lauderdale. That way you can realistically serve Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and as probably as far north as West Palm. You can even work your way into the Keys for extra costs. You can find plenty of Musicians, and DJs in the area and are always up for travel for a paying gig.

The demographics are probably exactly what you are looking for, and there is plenty of money to be made there.

Are you in the planning phase, or do you have equipment/staff/resources???

Southeast FL is a very competitive market and pretty well saturated with existing options. I would suggest high growth areas like Fort Myers, Tampa or Jacksonville.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Southeast FL is a very competitive market and pretty well saturated with existing options. I would suggest high growth areas like Fort Myers, Tampa or Jacksonville.

Better to enter a competitive market where the clients, hires, and money is than struggle in a growing market that you will have to travel greater distances (probably competitive markets) to survive.

It's never smart to chase the money when you can set up shop around it. If competition scares you, you should not be trying to start a business.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:06 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Better to enter a competitive market where the clients, hires, and money is than struggle in a growing market that you will have to travel greater distances (probably competitive markets) to survive.

It's never smart to chase the money when you can set up shop around it. If competition scares you, you should not be trying to start a business.
You wouldn't have to chase money in major markets like Tampa or Jacksonville, and doubtful in fast growing Fort Myers either. Furthermore the SE Florida market while not geographically large is very congested where driving a few miles can take half an hour or more. None of the other three outside of some parts of Tampa can rival that. Competition isn't scary, oversaturation of the market is and smart business owners would avoid entering an oversaturated market with multiple big players controlling most of the opportunity.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You wouldn't have to chase money in major markets like Tampa or Jacksonville, and doubtful in fast growing Fort Myers either. Furthermore the SE Florida market while not geographically large is very congested where driving a few miles can take half an hour or more. None of the other three outside of some parts of Tampa can rival that. Competition isn't scary, oversaturation of the market is and smart business owners would avoid entering an oversaturated market with multiple big players controlling most of the opportunity.

You would certianly have a harder time finding and replacing talent in Tampa or Jacksonville than you would in South East Florida, especially if you have an unexpected booking influx and have to turn business away... damaging reputation. You would certianly have to market more aggressively in Tampa and Jacksonville which also translates into higher operating costs. Tampa and Jacksonville are far less wedding and event destinations than South Florida with the Keys is, hence the reason there is so many actors in the market down there. Far more business opportunity in S. Florida compared to W & N Florida, that is just a fact.

Since events are booked long in advance and not within a half hour I dont see why you would bring up traffic woes, that argument makes no sense. If you think an hour or two in traffic will affect a motivated South Florida entertainer or properly coordinated event in any way, you don't know that sector of the service industry. It's not like you wont run into that chaos in Tampa or Jacksonville... Ft Meyers isnt there yet, but since the OP asked about high density populations and bar/club scene I dont know why you would even suggest there in the first place.

A seasoned pro with full resources can succeed in either markets, someone getting their feet wet will have setbacks. Bad news travels faster in smaller markets.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:31 PM

13,679 posts, read 7,988,457 times
The only thing I can contribute to this conversation is to advise against the Fort Myers area. While the area is growing in population, it's a much older demographic.

South Florida and Orlando are where most of the singles/young people are.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
The only thing I can contribute to this conversation is to advise against the Fort Myers area. While the area is growing in population, it's a much older demographic.

South Florida and Orlando are where most of the singles/young people are.

Agree, but my concern with Orlando would be being able to keep the musicians busy during off Wedding offseason. There certianly is no shortage of hotels and resorts in Orlando but they mainly liv ed and die by the seasons. Not sure a new event organizer/promoter (not sure what the OP is) would be able to overcome the seasonal downtime needed to keep his talent available.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:52 AM

63 posts, read 86,703 times
Thanks very much for the insight, everyone (OP here).

Right now, I'm still in decision-making mode as to where I personally will end up living. Should I make a move south, I will likely have agency support, along with some repertoire/management help. Equipment and promo materials would follow. My role would be Music Director/Band Leader, while (God willing) outsourcing as much client relations as possible. I'd have to start from scratch, as far as meeting and working with musicians in the area.

I have a very strong and proven performance format and repertoire ready to go. Currently I'm just the bass player for my current band, but would seek to start two commercial bands (one wedding/corporate band and one specialty tribute) using my many years of experience in the NY metro market.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swelshbucket View Post
Thanks very much for the insight, everyone (OP here).

Right now, I'm still in decision-making mode as to where I personally will end up living. Should I make a move south, I will likely have agency support, along with some repertoire/management help. Equipment and promo materials would follow. My role would be Music Director/Band Leader, while (God willing) outsourcing as much client relations as possible. I'd have to start from scratch, as far as meeting and working with musicians in the area.

I have a very strong and proven performance format and repertoire ready to go. Currently I'm just the bass player for my current band, but would seek to start two commercial bands (one wedding/corporate band and one specialty tribute) using my many years of experience in the NY metro market.

OK, sorry to get down on you here, but dont expect any support or help at all anywhere. I was providing information based on what you presented as much more organized and prepared.

Neither East North West South or Central Florida sound right for you do do what you are trying right now. Starting from scratch with no resources, connections, staff, and cash reserves is more of chasing a dream than entering a market.

In the Miami/Ft Lauderdale Area you are going to be crushed by the competition. North Florida, you will not be able to keep this thing going year round without taking gigs so far away they will destroy your bottom line and ultimately hurt your business. Tampa/Orlando you will have your season and then NOTHING...you will have a revolving door of staff at best and will find yourself waiting tables or driving for uber to survive.

You need both financial resources and human capital already in place for what you are describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando