Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM

95 posts, read 351,381 times

Advertisements

I only been in Orlando for 3 weeks and why is there so much LIGHTING HERE ?

IS THIS NORMAL ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:13 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
It is VERY normal. I don't know the meterological reasoning behing it but Florida is known to have ALOT of lightening strikes.

Don't take them lightly either. Just yesterday lightening struck a transformer in my neighborhood and knocked everyone out. We had a woman who was running to grab her son out of the yard struck by lightening AND one time my neighbors house got struck, blew a hole in their roof, knocked out their security system, all their phones and the TVs. Since they were next door to me, it fryed only one zone of my electrical.

You can be struck by lightening when the storm is like 100 miles away. I keep a close eye on the weather when its doing stuff like this. Once you get used to them, they are spectacular to watch.

I have a cat, he is blue eyed and pure white. We thought he was completely deaf until yesterday. The clap of lightening was so LOUD, even HE ran and hid. Normally he goes and sits in the window and watches storms with no fear.

My ashtma doctor told me of a time he was getting out of his car with his groceries in hand. The lightening struck a small tree in his yard, he said it was so close he could smell the lightening, he dropped his bags and ran yelping into the house like a scared little puppy.

Welcome to Orlando, you can always tell the newbies by the umbrellas they carry. Once you have been here for awhile, you don't bother.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
It is one of the two places on the planet with the most lightning strikes. Here and a place in Central Africa, but for sure it is the most in all of North America.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:18 PM

95 posts, read 351,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
It is VERY normal. I don't know the meterological reasoning behing it but Florida is known to have ALOT of lightening strikes.

Don't take them lightly either. Just yesterday lightening struck a transformer in my neighborhood and knocked everyone out. We had a woman who was running to grab her son out of the yard struck by lightening AND one time my neighbors house got struck, blew a hole in their roof, knocked out their security system, all their phones and the TVs. Since they were next door to me, it fryed only one zone of my electrical.

You can be struck by lightening when the storm is like 100 miles away. I keep a close eye on the weather when its doing stuff like this. Once you get used to them, they are spectacular to watch.

I have a cat, he is blue eyed and pure white. We thought he was completely deaf until yesterday. The clap of lightening was so LOUD, even HE ran and hid. Normally he goes and sits in the window and watches storms with no fear.

My ashtma doctor told me of a time he was getting out of his car with his groceries in hand. The lightening struck a small tree in his yard, he said it was so close he could smell the lightening, he dropped his bags and ran yelping into the house like a scared little puppy.

Welcome to Orlando, you can always tell the newbies by the umbrellas they carry. Once you have been here for awhile, you don't bother.
Very interesting story Lindsey...and funny (that cat part)...ROFL...
Oh man...lighting has stop and I am still UNDER THE BED ...

Old 06-25-2008, 01:24 PM

127 posts, read 499,709 times
Welcome to Florida! I was without power last night because of lightning its a normal and ANNOYING occurance for my house.

Had a tree in my front yard zapped dead by lightning last summer...and it had to be removed...and this was no little itty bitty tree...this was a big ole oak tree that provided lotsa shade and its now gone .

you can see scars on a lotta trees from lightning that struck them.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:46 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Lindsey.. I think you meant 10 miles away.

The 30/30 Rule. Lightning can strike more than 10 miles away from the center of a thunderstorm, beyond the audible range of thunder. Therefore, if you hear thunder, you are within striking range of the storm.

I remember a guy in Tampa getting struck by lightening while the sun was shinning when he was jogging from a storm that was in St Pete.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
I've always heard that FL is the lightening capital of the world. It sure seems like it!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternDoc View Post
I only been in Orlando for 3 weeks and why is there so much LIGHTING HERE ?

IS THIS NORMAL ?

If you just moved here then you better get used to it because that is how the summer is in Florida.

Just remember to shut down your electronics and get good surge protection also try to stay inside when it`s lightning out because people do get struck quite often here.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Interesting trivia about lightning. Central Florida, from Tampa to Titusville is "Lightning Alley" in the U.S.!

Lightning Trivia from The Computer Wizard

Alphaman is right, it is a fact of life in Central FL. You can just about set your watch by the thunderstorms every day during the summer

Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 PM

127 posts, read 407,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
If you just moved here then you better get used to it because that is how the summer is in Florida.

Just remember to shut down your electronics and get good surge protection also try to stay inside when it`s lightning out because people do get struck quite often here.
Yes definitely need a surge protector on the computer, and any other sensitive electronics. Keep in mind the odds of getting struck by lightning are still extremely low, even in Central Florida, so stay safe but don't worry about it too much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando