Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 16,991 times

Advertisements

Merc28,
Do give a holler when you plan to be in the area, perhaps we can meet!
Marilyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Wow....soon we will have enough folks from the Leesburg area to have a forum meet.

As I've told others....there are many nice 55+ communities in the area.....almost all quite nice, all with small differences that make them special. Anyone shopping would be wise to check them all out......like a pair of shoes, one place will just seem to "fit just right'.

We have friends that live in Legacy, Royal Highlands, Arlington Ridge, Lakes of Mt. Dora, The Villages, The Cascades of Groveland, as well as The Plantation.........each of them love their community. We love to visit the different communities and see what makes them special. It is so nice to have such good choices!

Frank

Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,978 times
I happen to live in Legacy and love it. Friendly, friendly, friendly!!!!! There is alot to do and people willing to do it with. After living in Miami for 30 years my husband and I have met more people in our part of the development in 4 months then all the years in our previous place.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Welcome to the forum Allen!
I was in Legacy today in fact. I was helping a friend in there run some Cat 5 Wire throughout his attic.......

To those interested......there are many nice 55+ communities around here. The Villages is about 13 miles north of here, and Clairmont is about 14 miles south of here. Disney is about a half hour away. There are many great communities all around here.......most all nice, all just a bit different....

I look forward to living here full time in about a year and a half. Until then, I just come down a couple of times a year for about a month at a time. I rent my home to many people who have used it as a home base to find a great deal. The smart buyers look all over.......usually one place just seems to "fit".

Frank

Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,524 times
Has Pringle stopped building in Legacy? I have heard that Florida Leisure Community is now the builder in there? Anyone have more details on this?

If this has changed, has anything changed about the community and was it for the better, or not?

We will be coming down in early June, so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Roger

Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM

Sent you a PM....

Old 05-23-2012, 04:55 PM

55 posts, read 189,515 times
I’ve posted before on this forum that we are planning to retire fulltime to Florida in 4 years and have gotten some really helpful feedback from posters. Based on that, we’ve been looking at several places including Kings Ridge in Clermont and maybe Independence Estates in Winter Garden.

We hadn’t thought about the Leesburg area because it was further from Orlando than we wanted. But, the more we’ve read on this forum, the more we realize we shouldn’t rule out places like Legacy, Royal Highlands, or the Plantation which don't seem to be that far from Clermont. We definitely want a gated community with good security, nice landscaping (would prefer not to be in the middle of a barren field!), activities, and a decent pool. We don’t really care about it being a golf community…I occasionally play but am so bad it hardly matters! If it had a village center with a restaurant or pub, that would be a plus. Maybe most important is that it’s an established community where I won’t have to worry about it going “belly up” or jacking up the HOA fees beyond affordable to cover the costs of residents who have foreclosed.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on those Leesburg places.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM

You are very wise to consider such things. Basically there are many very nice 55+ communities.....all very similar, but with some differences. The most important thing to consider IS the HOA....how stable it is, who owns the community, is there a bond to pay, are the amenities there and is it well run, what is the monthly rate, and what do you get for it, etc,etc,etc.

The fiscal health is most important. There are a few places within a few miles of here that went bankrupt, never got finished, etc. They will probably get finished in a few years with the boomers come to age.....but who really knows and what until then??

I know where I am I like it. The HOA is common sense and not too restrictive. Monthly rate is $85/mo and should stay that way for a long time. We are owned by the homeowners, NOT a developer. There is a lot of money in the coffers. They are continually improving stuff I thought was fine before.....so the place is NOT going downhill at all. Just the right size for me, with many clubs, activities, with enough pools, hot tubs, fitness centers, tennis, pickleball,etc,etc,etc,etc.....

Check out each place. It's a BIG decision.....don't blow it.
I'm in the Plantation and like it. Legacy is nice, many nature trails, etc. Arlington Ridge is nice, so is Royal Highlands. Just north a bit is The Villages....huge one of a kind place. Everyplace has it's good and perhaps not so good things........mostly personal preference. Every place around here has FREE snow removal.....so it's all good...lol.

Frank

Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM

55 posts, read 189,515 times
Gotta love that free snow removal!

The $85 HOA fee at the Plantation sounds great. Not sure what the Plantation fee includes but we looked at Dell Webb Orlando last summer and were told the monthly fee was over $400 which I think included cable and lawn maintenance. That's quite a difference! Also sounds like the Plantation is fiscally sound which is important to us.

If Legacy has mature landscaping and trails, it could be something in which we'd be interested.

I do think we've pretty much decided against the Villages. Sounds like it's a very active place but, for us, it probably is too large and too far from the theme parks which we do want to be able to conveniently enjoy.

We will be doing a "grand tour" these places in August and are trying to decide which ones we want to check out. Looks like the Route 27 Corridor in Leesburg will have to be on our schedule.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Yes, it is important to know what the HOA includes. Personally, I like the HOA to be lower and not include discretionary stuff. What I mean is that I do not want my HOA to include cable, mowing, etc, because I want to decide that.

For example, Legacy includes basic cable in their HOA.....but what if you want Direct TV...? You end up paying for two cable options. What if you LIKE to mow your lawn? Or want a different service?

My HOA pays for security staff and gates, all of the amenities, clubs and activity centers, the upkeep of common areas, etc, etc. I pay for my own mowing, (around $50 a month) and I pay for my own cable.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando