Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:43 AM

70 posts, read 354,904 times

Advertisements

Ok,

So I'm moving down and I don't know where to go... I've been researching Tampa and haven't given any time to the home of Mickey Mouse! In comparision to work, cost of living, home owners insurance and taxes. Should I continue looking in the Tampa area or does Orlando have more to offer. I'm a Sr. Web Developer and I would still have to work even though I'm going to sell my house here in NY. Some guidence from the people of Tampa or Orlando would be awesome...

thanks
-rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 08:40 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
I like both Tampa and Orlando. The only thing about living in Tampa is that everyone who is not from there preceives that it is on the Gulf Coast. But, in reality it takes about 30 minutes to drive from downtown Tampa to the Gulf beaches. I don't like Pinellas County - i.e. St.Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo, etc. These areas are too crowded.

Tampa has Ybor city - strip of nightclubs etc.

Orlando has it's downtown (sort of slack right now, but poised to have more nightlife after several condo projects are completed.) Universal Citywalk, Downtown Disney and Downtown Winter Park.

The layout of Tampa's downtown is a little better than Orlando's - personally, I like the wide streets and the grid system. However, many people like Orlando's downtown because it's not a typical grid system.

Cost of living is about the same

Both cities have colleges - Tampa has U of Tampa, U of South Florida
Orlando has U of Central Florida, Rollins College, Stetson in Deland (although it's law school is in Tampa-St. Pete), Full Sail, and FAMU law school.

Orlando has more to offer in the medical fields - Florida Hospital, ORMC, Arnold Palmer and Winnie Palmer Hospitals, and UCF is getting a new medical school. Tampa does have a medical school at USF.

Tampa has "Trump(ed) Towers", which may never see the light of day. Orlando has several high-rise condo projects that may also never see the light of day. So, both cities are fully capable of maing their big O.S. mistakes.

Orlando has the theme parks - if you are a long term resident, I give them a plus for giving us a thriving economy, but they don't do much for me as an individual. Tampa has Bush Gardens, which unfortunately, has become kind of ghetto. It really "jumped the shark" when it became nothing more than a roller coaster park.

Orlando has an awsome convention center, but Tampa has a true performing arts center. Orlando has the Magic. Tampa has the Bucs. I'd take the Bucs over the Magic, as I'm more of a football fan than basketball fan.

Orlando is about 45 minutes away from the east coast beaches. I like both the Atlantic and the Gulf, which are very different. So that's a tough call as to which I like better.

I guess I like Orlando better than Tampa, but I'd be fine with living in Tampa. Orlando just seems a little more happening than Tampa.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 AM

70 posts, read 354,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I like both Tampa and Orlando. The only thing about living in Tampa is that everyone who is not from there preceives that it is on the Gulf Coast. But, in reality it takes about 30 minutes to drive from downtown Tampa to the Gulf beaches. I don't like Pinellas County - i.e. St.Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo, etc. These areas are too crowded.

Tampa has Ybor city - strip of nightclubs etc.

Orlando has it's downtown (sort of slack right now, but poised to have more nightlife after several condo projects are completed.) Universal Citywalk, Downtown Disney and Downtown Winter Park.

The layout of Tampa's downtown is a little better than Orlando's - personally, I like the wide streets and the grid system. However, many people like Orlando's downtown because it's not a typical grid system.

Cost of living is about the same

Both cities have colleges - Tampa has U of Tampa, U of South Florida
Orlando has U of Central Florida, Rollins College, Stetson in Deland (although it's law school is in Tampa-St. Pete), Full Sail, and FAMU law school.

Orlando has more to offer in the medical fields - Florida Hospital, ORMC, Arnold Palmer and Winnie Palmer Hospitals, and UCF is getting a new medical school. Tampa does have a medical school at USF.

Tampa has "Trump(ed) Towers", which may never see the light of day. Orlando has several high-rise condo projects that may also never see the light of day. So, both cities are fully capable of maing their big O.S. mistakes.

Orlando has the theme parks - if you are a long term resident, I give them a plus for giving us a thriving economy, but they don't do much for me as an individual. Tampa has Bush Gardens, which unfortunately, has become kind of ghetto. It really "jumped the shark" when it became nothing more than a roller coaster park.

Orlando has an awsome convention center, but Tampa has a true performing arts center. Orlando has the Magic. Tampa has the Bucs. I'd take the Bucs over the Magic, as I'm more of a football fan than basketball fan.

Orlando is about 45 minutes away from the east coast beaches. I like both the Atlantic and the Gulf, which are very different. So that's a tough call as to which I like better.

I guess I like Orlando better than Tampa, but I'd be fine with living in Tampa. Orlando just seems a little more happening than Tampa.
What about traffic wise? With all the activity in Orlando I would expect it to be more over croweded and much more traffic no? I've visited Disney several times and traveling from Kiss to park was a nightmare. What about work in the technology field? Do you know how it is?

thanks for your replies by the way... I appreciate it...

rich

Old 01-22-2007, 08:34 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
If you plan on working in the technology sector, I'd pick Orlando over Tampa. Our tech sector is located in Lake Mary - Heathrow and another one is located out by UCF - research park. These areas are sort of on the opposite ends of Kissimmee; Heathrow to the North, and Research Park tothe North East. I don't recall Tampa having a technology sector as robust as Greator Orlando - although I'd say it has a larger banking/financial sector than Orlando. Jacksonville is traditionally known for it's insurance sector.

Although Orlando traffic is not much fun, Tampa traffic is no picnic either. I can't speak about the commute from North "New" Tampa into Tampa, but the commute from St. Petersburg/Clearwater to Tampa is a notorious headache. And, traffic between 275 along I-4 out to I-75 is a real pain also.

In 2002, the Orlando Sentinal listed the top 100 companies in Greator Orlando. https://extra.orlandosentinel.com/Secure/top100/2002-top100.shtml (broken link) Browse that site and you will see a significant number of technology based companies. There are also many smaller ones that aren't listed. Not to mention that the UCF Medical Complex will supr more growth in the medical technology industries.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:52 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,807 times
Tampa Bay Area has 2.6 million residents Hillsborough-998,948 Pinellas-921,482 Pasco-344,765 Hernando-130,802 Orlando Area has 1.5 million residents Orange-896,344 Lake-210,528 Seminole-365,196 Osceola-172,493.
They both grow about the same rate of annual change 30,000-70,000 residents every year.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 60,966 times
Hi my name is Anthony X., my wife and I are planning to move to Orlando in the very near future, we are debating on the following areas; Ocoee, Claracona Ocoee area, Apopka or Clermont. We are considering Condo's or town houses. We were planning on purchasing a home but the prices are out rageous. Ant help in choosing an area would be appreciated.Crime is an issue and also schools.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:58 PM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times
Try East side of Orlando ...UCF area....much better. Less traffic.

and to the originator of this thread - disney traffic...if you live here you learn how to pass it by...its not all that hard. ...and Tampa vs Orlando...even being from the midwest - ORLANDO! not Tampa (sorry tampa folk i'm not a "west coaster")

Mostly because Orlando is still growing and has much area to still fill in...for as much as I've been in Tampa I still can't figure out where to put everyone and yes traffic over there really stinks JMHO

Old 02-16-2007, 09:15 PM

25 posts, read 175,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Tampa Bay Area has 2.6 million residents Hillsborough-998,948 Pinellas-921,482 Pasco-344,765 Hernando-130,802 Orlando Area has 1.5 million residents Orange-896,344 Lake-210,528 Seminole-365,196 Osceola-172,493.
They both grow about the same rate of annual change 30,000-70,000 residents every year.
Orange County has over 1 million.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:03 PM

40 posts, read 226,826 times
I live in Seminole County which has much lower crime and better schools than any of the other surrounding counties. Plus, it's only a 15-30 minute max commute to downtown. My dad's entire family lives in Tampa and I just don't think people in general are as friendly there. Traffic there is bad, but the Kissimee area into Orlando is horrendous during rush hour, so it's a toss up there. Orange county has gotten really bad in the crime department, so I'd definitely steer clear of that. Good luck with your hunt!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 PM

442 posts, read 2,913,034 times
i would say Tampa, or surrounding areas, like brandon, temple terrace.. and the likes...I have now lived in the general vacinity of both Orlando and tampa.. i prefer tampa far better , people seem kinder , and not so much in a hurry, the traffic is about the same If you get stuck on i4 in orlando, you will also get stuck in tampa on the 275 i 4 interchange , really its all about what you prefere, beach within 30 minites , good night life NOw Or Mickey mouse up your back side, tons and tons of tourists... and a beach about 50 minutes away depending on where you live in Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando