Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,784 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My sister and I are moving to Orlando at the end of November. We still don't have an apartment and are completely confused. People will recommend an area/community and then others will tell us it's a horrible area. (For instance, Park Central) One realtor recommended an area (Semoran Blvd) and after going to look at it, I was disgusted (not a safe looking area at all) We are both from Rhode Island, I'm 24 and she's 18. We are looking for a safe, gated community located somewhere between Universal & Winter Park. (She's going to school in Winter Park, and I'd like to work for Universal)...

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 06:30 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,584,180 times
You definetly don't want to move to the Semoran Area. Take a look at College Park, Baldwin Park, Park Avenue Area of Winter Park and if you are willing to drive a little further you can take a look at Oviedo.
MyCollegePark.com - College Park's Online Newsletter
New Homes Orlando - Baldwin Park Orlando Florida * Orlando Real Estate - Orlando Apartments, New Homes, Condos and Townhomes (http://www.baldwinparkfl.com/web/ - broken link)
Welcome to the City of Winter Park (http://www.ci.winter-park.fl.us/2005/ - broken link)
Welcome to the City of Oviedo | City of Oviedo, Florida

Old 11-08-2008, 07:10 AM

698 posts, read 3,270,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saras1084 View Post
Hi Everyone! My sister and I are moving to Orlando at the end of November. We still don't have an apartment and are completely confused. People will recommend an area/community and then others will tell us it's a horrible area. (For instance, Park Central) One realtor recommended an area (Semoran Blvd) and after going to look at it, I was disgusted (not a safe looking area at all) We are both from Rhode Island, I'm 24 and she's 18. We are looking for a safe, gated community located somewhere between Universal & Winter Park. (She's going to school in Winter Park, and I'd like to work for Universal)...

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again!
I would highly recommend Park Terrace on Dr. Phillips Blvd. Very nice,safe and close to Universal.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,970,725 times
Welcome fellow Rhode Islander!!!! I would also recommend Oviedo, winter springs and winter park areas. Also check out Waterford lakes area.

Been here 25 years and I love it, a lot different from Rhode Island, Most Rhode Islanders that I meet end up going back thou.

Good luck

Old 11-08-2008, 08:24 PM

12 posts, read 30,143 times
I graduated from Providence College and am from Connecticut origionally.

I have a friend who lives in La Palazza in MetroWest. Its a gated apartment complex with a nice pool and gym. Its about 10 minutes from Universal and about 20 minutes from Winter Park.

Best of luck.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,289,082 times
As two young women, you do want to be careful where you are because you are a little more vulnerable. You need to pick a place where you feel safe coming through a parking lot at night either after work or after going out. Why don't you consider coming to the area, finding an extended stay hotel and staying there for a week or so while you look for a place that feels right for you?

I sure wish I had done that a few months ago instead of renting online and ending up in an area I really wish I didn't live in. (I rented on OBT South for any Orlando people who wonder what regrettable mistake I made.... )

Anyway, just take your time in finding a great place and don't rush into a decision. Orlando is perfect for finding affordable weekly rentals until you get a feel of the place and know for sure where you are going to be working. The attractions aren't always hiring since tourism is down a bit. Also, check the classifieds in the local paper, Orlando Sentinel, for additional options in jobs and places to live.
www.orlandosentinel.com/

Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 147,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
As two young women, you do want to be careful where you are because you are a little more vulnerable. You need to pick a place where you feel safe coming through a parking lot at night either after work or after going out. Why don't you consider coming to the area, finding an extended stay hotel and staying there for a week or so while you look for a place that feels right for you?

I sure wish I had done that a few months ago instead of renting online and ending up in an area I really wish I didn't live in. (I rented on OBT South for any Orlando people who wonder what regrettable mistake I made.... )

Anyway, just take your time in finding a great place and don't rush into a decision. Orlando is perfect for finding affordable weekly rentals until you get a feel of the place and know for sure where you are going to be working. The attractions aren't always hiring since tourism is down a bit. Also, check the classifieds in the local paper, Orlando Sentinel, for additional options in jobs and places to live.
www.orlandosentinel.com/

I'm so sorry for you. The first time I drove down OBT, I found my mouth agaped. I will pray for your safety, and that you will be able to move soon.

As far a Semoran Blvd. That's where I lived. I didnt' experience any crime, nor was I afraid to come out at night. I just couldn't find a job that suited me. I was fresh out of Paralegal School, and graduated top of my class. But still that was not enough. They required (MUST HAVE) 3 to 5 years experience. I ended up moving back to Arkansas.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,876,699 times
I guess i am more the house kind of person. just have an agent search an are to see what is available . even condos and townhomes come up in our searches. there are a few places that arent the best choices on 436 but some decent places not too far from. I don't know what you are seeking to pay but as an example I have a 3/2 that rents for 1250. There are some above and below that price point . kind of depends on who is managing them. I tend to get a pretty decent return for the people that I manage. There are so many options that are good it is hard for anyone to say yes to these. You will be fine in most choices.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:06 PM

698 posts, read 3,270,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

www.orlandosentinel.com/
Yeah.......anywhere on OBT is definitely off limits!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:16 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,970,725 times
OBT is the sewer of Orlando don`t ever get a place there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando