Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:17 AM

291 posts, read 1,204,052 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for not posting your negitives ~ I do know there are plenty of them

This is great ~ what you guys have written so far, that is what I'm excited about. That's central Florida and I want us to experience that for a year or two.

Thanks so much for sharing the positives ~ there are some good ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 01:59 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
I haven't read the replies yet, but I will throw in a couple of things.

I love waking up in the Summer when it's just starting to warm up and there is this breeze blowing... I cannot explain but it feels tropical and it makes me like getting up early to enjoy it.

I love driving home from the beach, top down on my convertible, feeling a little sunburned and blasting my favorite music as the sun sets in a large, beautiful sky.

I love living downtown and enjoying everything being so close, walking my dogs around the lakes, the old cobblestone streets (though I hate driving on them!), the hidden little gems for shopping and eating.

I love the small town feel the city still has if you take the time to stop and not let the stress of I4 get to you. I go to these mom and pop breakfast places in the middle of neighborhoods that no one would find unless they lived there....sitting outside and enjoying the warm weather with friendly people.

I love having the option to go to the theme parks or water parks or state parks ANY time I want to. Just going to Epcot for dinner at night and watching the fireworks is awesome.

I love the year round greenery, I love wearing shorts all year, I love taking road trips and seeing nature that most people in the US will never see.

Again, you have to have the Florida frame of mind. There's just a feeling about being here (and not waking up everyday thinking the sky is going to fall because a person got robbed downtown coming home from a bar) - a feeling of living in a warm area with tons of things to do. I love culture and am very cultured, but culture can only go so far. I'd rather swim with Manatees or check out old haunted hotels like the one in Cassadaga or got to Bud and BBQ Concerts at Seaworld or go to the Strawberry Festival in Plant City or go to the Exotic Animal Farms in Plant City as well..... just so much to do and so many great weather days to do them.

I promise you - get down here and focus on what Orlando has that no where else does and you won't be shaking in your shoes in fear of the crime.

Welcome and know that you are going to love it here if you allow yourself to.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I haven't read the replies yet, but I will throw in a couple of things.

I love waking up in the Summer when it's just starting to warm up and there is this breeze blowing... I cannot explain but it feels tropical and it makes me like getting up early to enjoy it.

I love driving home from the beach, top down on my convertible, feeling a little sunburned and blasting my favorite music as the sun sets in a large, beautiful sky.

I love living downtown and enjoying everything being so close, walking my dogs around the lakes, the old cobblestone streets (though I hate driving on them!), the hidden little gems for shopping and eating.

I love the small town feel the city still has if you take the time to stop and not let the stress of I4 get to you. I go to these mom and pop breakfast places in the middle of neighborhoods that no one would find unless they lived there....sitting outside and enjoying the warm weather with friendly people.

I love having the option to go to the theme parks or water parks or state parks ANY time I want to. Just going to Epcot for dinner at night and watching the fireworks is awesome.

I love the year round greenery, I love wearing shorts all year, I love taking road trips and seeing nature that most people in the US will never see.

Again, you have to have the Florida frame of mind. There's just a feeling about being here (and not waking up everyday thinking the sky is going to fall because a person got robbed downtown coming home from a bar) - a feeling of living in a warm area with tons of things to do. I love culture and am very cultured, but culture can only go so far. I'd rather swim with Manatees or check out old haunted hotels like the one in Cassadaga or got to Bud and BBQ Concerts at Seaworld or go to the Strawberry Festival in Plant City or go to the Exotic Animal Farms in Plant City as well..... just so much to do and so many great weather days to do them.

I promise you - get down here and focus on what Orlando has that no where else does and you won't be shaking in your shoes in fear of the crime.

Welcome and know that you are going to love it here if you allow yourself to.
Thank you so much for your beautiful post I KNOW we will love and enjoy living in Florida. There really is so much Orlando and central Florida has to offer and we can't wait to experience it all!!!
Thanks again for the post ~ you described Florida beautifully and summed up the reasons we want to live there and why we are moving there.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 PM

155 posts, read 380,815 times
orlando is not a bad place to live, but other than the theme parks there is not much to do. the summers are very hot, and last a long time. i would rather it be cold, cause you could dress warm. in the heat you would be wearing shorts, and still be hot, there is no way to stop it. in the new york times, it is showing that florida lost population, not sure about that. a lot of people like florida, i don't mind is its just not my favorite, it does have great beaches, golf courses, and sunsets have fun and good luck.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdaleny View Post
orlando is not a bad place to live, but other than the theme parks there is not much to do. the summers are very hot, and last a long time. i would rather it be cold, cause you could dress warm. in the heat you would be wearing shorts, and still be hot, there is no way to stop it. in the new york times, it is showing that florida lost population, not sure about that. a lot of people like florida, i don't mind is its just not my favorite, it does have great beaches, golf courses, and sunsets have fun and good luck.
Nothing to do?!?!?!? I give up on you people. There is more to do in this town than almost any other city in the US. It's superficial, yes, but there are so many things you couldnt do them all if you tried every day for a year.

And seriously, could people stop saying Florida is hot. If you moved here not knowing that then there's not much I can say that would make sense to you.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Blueoktoktober ~ what is the strawberry festival and the exotic animal farm? Sounds cool!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 PM

155 posts, read 380,815 times
i know florida is hot, and humid, its just like a sauna, but after a while you get sick of it, it is no better than then cold winters, you need to calm down.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
i know florida is hot, and humid, its just like a sauna, but after a while you get sick of it, it is no better than then cold winters, you need to calm down.
I think everyone knows that Florida is hot. I personally don't care for that part of it, lol. I'm going to deal with it to enjoy the area though and don't plan on going out too much in the really hot months.
Anything positive you would like to say about Orlando? I know some people think of the Florida weather as positive...

Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Quote:
I have to make the opposite arguement. I'm in Alaska right now and sure you can always put more clothing on, but a part of your body will always be cold no matter how much you wear. Also, if you just want to take the dogs out, it's much easier in hot weather...you can just walk out in a robe in the morning, let them do their business and come back. In the cold you have to put your pants on, put your shirt on, put your jacket on, put your socks on, put your shoes on, and depending on the severity, gloves and a hat.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
I spent 10 minutes scraping ice off my car here in Dallas. I'll take Fl weather anyday over this stuff even with the rain and humidity!! Summers here get into the 100's and last night was lower 20's. Talk about a shock!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando