Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:46 AM

33 posts, read 89,125 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Orlando area. I have found these forums extremely helpful. I am wondering though why would people pay big electric bills when they can get solar panels? Do the HOA not allow solar panels in many neighborhoods? Also can you tell me what are some communities in the Oviedo area that have low HOA fees? Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get closer to moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 03:52 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Solar panels are expensive to buy, then they need to be installed and there is a bit more to it than just installing the panels. There is the battery bank that needs to be in place and adding alternate energy wiring to the house. You cannot use the same outlets as the power grids. It's a huge expense to get started and usually more than many folks can put out in one big lump.

Solar is not the answer in and of itself. It needs quality insulation to be in place to be effective. Most homes in FL are lacking in that department. Air conditioning eats up a huge amount of electricity and for solar to cover it is really quite a feat. It requires a whole lot more than one or two panels. A whole house generator would be more cost effective for those unable to put out the initial expense of installing solar.

Why are you looking at neighborhoods with a HOA? Those are usually very restrictive and it is my understanding that the folks who live in those areas feel like they are being prepped for living in a communist state. I've never known anyone who chose to live in another HOA area after leaving one.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:34 AM

I realize that solar is expensive. I guess there are no government incentives to install them like there are in some states. One would think that with all the sun in Florida steps would have been taken to move in that direction to ease the power burden. If home insulation is the problem with electricity bills in Florida, I wonder why more regulations aren't in place to make them more energy efficient.

As to HOA living I am not for it, but it appears as though that is all there is for sale in the area I want to live in and in the price range I can afford. It seems that if one wants a newer home, all that is available is an HOA. I have searched the market for homes in the 200,000-250,000 price range with about 2500 sq ft that were built after 2003. If there are newer homes in the better neighborhoods that fit this discription and aren't HOA, I have missed them.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
I agree that with all the sun we get one would think FL would be chock-a-block full of solar-powered homes. But I think AliceT explained it well why that's not the case.

HOAs are like apples and oranges - some are so restrictive and yet others are not. With some it completely depends on the individual board members. Fees range in a broad spectrum from $50/year to hundreds.

I'm very fortunate to live in an HOA community that's not obsessive about rules. We can have solar panels as long as they're not in full view from the street or affect a neighbor in a negative way.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:44 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLiz View Post
I realize that solar is expensive. I guess there are no government incentives to install them like there are in some states. One would think that with all the sun in Florida steps would have been taken to move in that direction to ease the power burden. If home insulation is the problem with electricity bills in Florida, I wonder why more regulations aren't in place to make them more energy efficient.

As to HOA living I am not for it, but it appears as though that is all there is for sale in the area I want to live in and in the price range I can afford. It seems that if one wants a newer home, all that is available is an HOA. I have searched the market for homes in the 200,000-250,000 price range with about 2500 sq ft that were built after 2003. If there are newer homes in the better neighborhoods that fit this discription and aren't HOA, I have missed them.
There are incentives to have solar here in FL, (at least there was last I checked a few years ago) One of the problems though was that owners usually had to put up the $ up front, and wait sometimes years for their incentive to be processed as there is usually a long line, and a very limited amount of funds.
You actually don't need battery banks, and just have the panel spin your meter backward during the day and use juice from the grid at night.
I also beleive it is a deterent down here with hurricanes. I didn't get to far into investigating the effect on insurance rates, but I'm sure a very expensive panel bolted to your roof with a probability of being ripped off in high winds doesn't help premiums.
Another thing that hurt was that installation of solar had the potential to increase the taxable value of your home. A new law just passed that prevents the county from increasing your taxes because of the installation of energy efficient things now. One less thing to worry about.

And as for HOA's, yes it is going to be tough finding a newer home in Oviedo or anywhere around orlando that is not in an HOA. But like mawipafl said, every HOA is different, some much more restrictive than others. Some communities you won't even know you have one and are mostly just in place to maintain common area's like entrance sign's, playgrounds or what have you.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Wow this has been a great lesson in solar panels. I never thought about the panels becoming a flying saucer in a hurricane. The damage could be costly. It would be nice however if the power companies themselves would invest in solar.

As for HOA porperties in Oviedo does anyone know of some communities that have cheap fees?

Old 12-27-2008, 02:43 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLiz View Post
does anyone know of some communities that have cheap fees?
"Cheap fees" and "Florida" do not fit in the same sentence.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:48 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Here is an interesting site that covers the tax breaks and incentives offered in Florida for those who invest in solar power:
Florida solar power and solar energy rebates, tax credits, and incentives. Cost breakdown for photovoltaic panels and solar water heaters

I don't know about the Orlando area, but in Jacksonville the power company also offers other incentives.

Flying solar panels during a hurricane.....eek!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:00 PM

Thank you for that site GloryB. It is very helpful.

I just hope I can find a house in a community with relaxed enough rules to allow for solar. Also I am still needing information on houses in HOA areas with low fees. We need to be in the Oviedo area.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:11 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Any HOA should allow them they do for pool heating as for low fees in Clermont I pay 85 a month to me that’s low for a gated community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando