Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple considering moving from Brooklyn to Orlando, seeking advice on where to live, affordable housing, low crime areas, length of lease

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,733 times

Advertisements

Hello, name is Jeffrey, and my Girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Orlando. We're not sure where to start. First off, I have a Drivers L. and my girlfind doesn't. We wouldn't be able to afford a house right away, so we're gonna have to rent. question # 1: Where are the bad parts of Orlando where we DONT wanna move to? question 2: How is the rent there?? Rent here in NYC is getting too expensive....a studio starts at $1000 in almost all areas. a one bedroom apartment starts off at $1200 ( $1200 if you're lucky!!) ..and the prices are just going up...i don't want my girlfriend and i to end up homeless in NYC. I love this city because its so busy and theres a lot going on...been living here all my life, but we financially can't do it anymore.

im alil worried about the crime there...not too much me but my girlfriend tho. i'm in Brooklyn, NYC and i've lived in areas where i'd have to run and dodge bullets. I've seen/heard a lot of bad crimes and almost every night i hear gun shots outside my window. Living in these conditions made me a VERY 'tough' person. I know that no matter how tough a person is, things can still happen, but being extremely protective over our person is a way you have to live here in the city....will i have to live this way in Orlando??..Ive been watching my back in NYC for 26 years...i'm tired of it..

anywho ...question 3: How long do leases last for??? and do would we have to move when its up?..we're new to this apartment thing so we no nothing about leasing aprtments, but are willing to learn as much as we can. We already know that landlords take advantage of tenants, so if you can, please supply us with websites so that we can read up on Tenant rights for Orlando, if available...im in the process of looking for this but can find anything.

Please help. Give us all the info about Orlando...whether it be good or bad. Please be honest about your comments, this isn't a game!

thankyou

JEff MCi

Last edited by flatman1; 03-06-2007 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-07-2007, 07:00 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
1) Your girlfriend should expect to learn how to drive and get a driver's license if she expects to get around at all. There are no subways, trains, or commuter rail at least not in the near future. Also, the bus system is not very reliable. You cannot hail a cab - need to schedule one in advance.

2) Get a map of Central Florida and draw a red line along I-4 and another one HW 50. The NE quadrent is fine. In the NW quadrant you need to be careful of the Pine Hills area, Apopka, and parts of Lockhart. The SE quadrant has a mix of some very nice newer areas and some lousey older areas. Azalia Park and Curry Ford Rd areas and generally around SR436 are not great areas, unless you want to live in hispanic communities. Due west of the city of Orlando is perhaps the worst crime area, generally refered to as Paramore. Due east of downtown is a relatively nice urban area made up of condos, townhomes, duplexes and some expensive homes. In the further SW quadrent, you will find Windermere, Bay Hill, Islesworth, etc. - all considered to be very rich and high end. Due North, around Longwood, Lake Mary and Heathrow are areas very popular among upper middle class families.

3) Rent is a mixed bag in Orlando. Depends on where you live. Anything right near Downtown or Winter Park will not be much less than what you were paying in NY - but it will be substantially nicer. Don't get lulled into thinking Orlando is less expensive than NYC. In many ways it is more expensive. You will need cars, insurance, and everything that goes along with auto ownership - major budget item. Wages are much lower in Florida than in the North East, and they won't be going up anytime soon. On the other hand, there are a good number of people that purchased 3/2 houses as investments that can't cover their mortgages so the rent on those places are considerebly low right now. Just be careful that the bank isn't getting ready to foreclose on your landlord, or you will be SOL.

I've never lived in NYC, but I've visited often enough to know that it is a very different place than Orlando. Being a tough southern boy, I never really felt threatened by the junkies I encountered down by Central Park as they scared off kind of easily. Likewise, I've never encountered any problem with crime in all of the years that I've lived in Orlando, except for the two times my car was broken into (while living in Winter Park). New Orleans and Jackson Mississippi were about the scariest cities I've encountered - both a far cry from Orlando.

4) "Being extremely protective over our person" might be suitable for New York, but people down here will find that kind of attitude very offensive. I'm just shooting it to you straight. You would be better off learning how to live a little more relaxed and study the manerisms of people who've been in Orlando for a long time. It will be easier for you if you can learn to blend in - this won't be easy and you may have an aversion to doing this thinking you are being "fake". But, I've had several friends from Road Island and NYC who just couldn't make the transition to Orlando - all have since left to go back to NY. They ended up pretty bitter about their experiences - it spilled over into their work and they found it difficult to hold a job. The best think you could do before moving here is come visit for 2-3 weeks, buddy up with someone who's been here for a long time, pick their brain and studdy up on the local custums and manerisms. Some of you may think I'm way off base on this, but I am talking from some bit of experience here.

5) How long a lease lasts depends on what it says. Read the Lease like your life depends on it, because it does! Florida does not have rent controls and does not regulate how long a lease can last. They can go week to week, month to month, year to year, or for a number of years. It's whatever you are able to negotiate. As a Landlord, if you don't have a written lease with me, I can kick you out any given month and/or I can raise your rent $1 or $1,000,000 with 15 day's notice. I would suggest that you make sure you've saved up enough money to pay at least one year's worth of rent, and enter into a one year written lease with a reputable landlord. Actually, landlords don't have to take advantage of tenants in Florida because tenants have very little rights other than those spelled out in the lease. It is easy to evict a tenant in Florida for not paing rent on time or not following the landlord's rules. There is no requirement that landlords renew any leases.

Hope this didn't sound too harsh, it wasn't meant to.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 AM

16 posts, read 54,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman1 View Post
Hello, name is Jeffrey, and my Girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Orlando. We're not sure where to start. First off, I have a Drivers L. and my girlfind doesn't. We wouldn't be able to afford a house right away, so we're gonna have to rent. question # 1: Where are the bad parts of Orlando where we DONT wanna move to? question 2: How is the rent there?? Rent here in NYC is getting too expensive....a studio starts at $1000 in almost all areas. a one bedroom apartment starts off at $1200 ( $1200 if you're lucky!!) ..and the prices are just going up...i don't want my girlfriend and i to end up homeless in NYC. I love this city because its so busy and theres a lot going on...been living here all my life, but we financially can't do it anymore.

im alil worried about the crime there...not too much me but my girlfriend tho. i'm in Brooklyn, NYC and i've lived in areas where i'd have to run and dodge bullets. I've seen/heard a lot of bad crimes and almost every night i hear gun shots outside my window. Living in these conditions made me a VERY 'tough' person. I know that no matter how tough a person is, things can still happen, but being extremely protective over our person is a way you have to live here in the city....will i have to live this way in Orlando??..Ive been watching my back in NYC for 26 years...i'm tired of it..

anywho ...question 3: How long do leases last for??? and do would we have to move when its up?..we're new to this apartment thing so we no nothing about leasing aprtments, but are willing to learn as much as we can. We already know that landlords take advantage of tenants, so if you can, please supply us with websites so that we can read up on Tenant rights for Orlando, if available...im in the process of looking for this but can find anything.

Please help. Give us all the info about Orlando...whether it be good or bad. Please be honest about your comments, this isn't a game!

thankyou

JEff MCi

Crime in orlando is pretty bad, expect to have to watch your back just like in brooklyn specially if you live in kissimmee- goldenrod- colonial- dean rd- semoran etc

rent at $1k is normal here too 'cept you will not get the NY salaries pay here is much lower. go to www.forrent.com and take a look also look at jobs on www.careerbuilder.com and you will see wages here are lower

i have to warn you some of these 'hoods ain't safe if they are less than $1k for a 1 bedroom apt.

renter's rights? ha ha are you kidding? there are almost no laws in that regard the apt complexes run the show pretty much as they want and because the housing market here is in the dumps rent is up as a lot of people are getting foreclosed on and they move into an apt and rent is going up and its hard to find a place to rent

honestly leave nyc and go somewhere decent orlando is not that good any longer

Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
C.K. sounds just like several others who have posted here recently that have some bug up their butt about Orlando. Maybe they can't get a job, or moved down here with their mommy and daddy and don't like it here. Who knows.

One thing I do know is that C.K. doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Take this statement, for example:

Quote:
the housing market here is in the dumps rent is up as a lot of people are getting foreclosed on and they move into an apt and rent is going up and its hard to find a place to rent
If the housing market is "in the dumps", meaning there is too large of a supply of houses and not enough buyers/renters, then economics 101 says DEMAND is low and price goes down; i.e. rent goes down, not up as a result! The fact is that houses rent well below what they should rent for. You would have no problem finding a decent 3/2 house to rent for $1,400/month, perhaps less. Share the expense with even one other person, and that's $700/month for a place that is much larger than a typical 1br appartment. Even if you've never been to Orlando before, but have to go based on what C.K. is representing, this should lead you to understand that there are pleanty of 1br appartments out there for rent at less than $1k/month. In fact, I just saw that the appartment complex that I once lived in (pretty decent place on east side of winter park) is renting 1br's for less than $800/month.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM

467 posts, read 1,692,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
C.K. sounds just like several others who have posted here recently that have some bug up their butt about Orlando. Maybe they can't get a job, or moved down here with their mommy and daddy and don't like it here. Who knows.

One thing I do know is that C.K. doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Take this statement, for example:

If the housing market is "in the dumps", meaning there is too large of a supply of houses and not enough buyers/renters, then economics 101 says DEMAND is low and price goes down; i.e. rent goes down, not up as a result! The fact is that houses rent well below what they should rent for. You would have no problem finding a decent 3/2 house to rent for $1,400/month, perhaps less. Share the expense with even one other person, and that's $700/month for a place that is much larger than a typical 1br appartment. Even if you've never been to Orlando before, but have to go based on what C.K. is representing, this should lead you to understand that there are pleanty of 1br appartments out there for rent at less than $1k/month. In fact, I just saw that the appartment complex that I once lived in (pretty decent place on east side of winter park) is renting 1br's for less than $800/month.
we are dealing with the rebirth of christain11, marylou, ALL of the other identities this person tried to use and now ck.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 PM

208 posts, read 975,039 times
The most telling sign, much like the mark of a serial killer is the thumbs down icon

Old 03-08-2007, 01:31 PM

467 posts, read 1,692,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
The most telling sign, much like the mark of a serial killer is the thumbs down icon
very observant. there are also other ways which is good since now he will remove the thumbs down sign on the next name change....ha ha

Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalisterKaley View Post
Crime in orlando is pretty bad, expect to have to watch your back just like in brooklyn specially if you live in kissimmee- goldenrod- colonial- dean rd- semoran etc

rent at $1k is normal here too 'cept you will not get the NY salaries pay here is much lower. go to www.forrent.com and take a look also look at jobs on www.careerbuilder.com and you will see wages here are lower

i have to warn you some of these 'hoods ain't safe if they are less than $1k for a 1 bedroom apt.

renter's rights? ha ha are you kidding? there are almost no laws in that regard the apt complexes run the show pretty much as they want and because the housing market here is in the dumps rent is up as a lot of people are getting foreclosed on and they move into an apt and rent is going up and its hard to find a place to rent

honestly leave nyc and go somewhere decent orlando is not that good any longer
ok this person seems very mad at florida.. listen im from new jersey, right off from the bridge of nyc. i been here for 2yrs. i live in kissimmee, yes i hear kissimmee had crime, and so does orlando, but all towns have there crime. i havent had a problem yet. You live ur life and dont get into any bad stuff, u'll be fine. if ur a thug and like to chill wit the bad crowd, yes u will have problems.

and rent u can find places form 600- to more. i live in a very nice complex, pool, and everything, it looks like a 5 star resort and i pay 750 a month.

yes the pay sucks!!! but if u get urself a good job, and ur girl works u'll do fine, but ur girl def. needs a liscense. so start teaching her lol

good luck

Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
we are dealing with the rebirth of christain11, marylou, ALL of the other identities this person tried to use and now ck.
Yeah...the moderators got him already....BUT you gotta give it to him. He's nothing if not persistent and these crazy names he keeps coming up with!!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:00 PM

38 posts, read 193,658 times
Default Orlando is not bad....

I agree with Prichard about Orlando. I am originally from NY (born & raised in Brooklyn (E. Flatbush) / teenage-adult years in Queens). I moved here in 1999. Orlando (the south, in general) is not for every New Yorker. The people are different, it's slower paced, etc. I too know many NYers who packed up and moved back because it's not the "Disney-land" that everyone up there portrays it to be. However, it can be a wonderful move if you do you homework first. The pay is less than NY and if you don't have a profession or a job lined up, it can be very hard for you. Florida is an "at will" state, meaning they can fire you just because. There is no hustle in Orlando and I don't mean drugs. In NY, if you want to make a quick buck, you can sell clothing out of the trunk of your car if you need to. Florida is not the same! Crime is negligable compared to where you come from. Your girlfriend will have to learn how to drive or else, she won't get anywhere. Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando