Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,031 times

Advertisements

So, i currently in Los Angeles and i am thinking about moving to a large city in FL (other than Miami) but i cant decided if i should leave LA.

I love LA but it is too expensive for the average american. It is becoming very clear that as a single nurse i would not be able to afford a decent home in a decent part of town.

However, i like that cultural vibe in LA. People are generally happy and positive. And there are a million things to do at any given time (if you have the money) But i find myself struggling as with everyone around me and cant help but wonder if there is a better quality of life on Orlando.

Pros about LA:
weather
Active lifestyle
Positive mentality of residents

Cons about LA:
home ownership unattainable or delayed to later in life
High income taxes
high expenses
california men tend to delay manhood a bit (most CA men arent looking to settle down til late 30s - probably bc most arent financially ready)

Would Fl be a better alternative? My biggest concern is bout the mentality of Orlando residents. Doesnt really seem as proactive and educated as LA.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndecidedST View Post
So, i currently in Los Angeles and i am thinking about moving to a large city in FL (other than Miami) but i cant decided if i should leave LA.

I love LA but it is too expensive for the average american. It is becoming very clear that as a single nurse i would not be able to afford a decent home in a decent part of town.

However, i like that cultural vibe in LA. People are generally happy and positive. And there are a million things to do at any given time (if you have the money) But i find myself struggling as with everyone around me and cant help but wonder if there is a better quality of life on Orlando.

Pros about LA:
weather
Active lifestyle
Positive mentality of residents

Cons about LA:
home ownership unattainable or delayed to later in life
High income taxes
high expenses
california men tend to delay manhood a bit (most CA men arent looking to settle down til late 30s - probably bc most arent financially ready)

Would Fl be a better alternative? My biggest concern is bout the mentality of Orlando residents. Doesnt really seem as proactive and educated as LA.

Any thoughts?
First, check out the City-Data for each place.

It will give you a GENERAL idea of each place, from a statistical point of view.

What is your definition of Proactive? Educated?

Most of Florida population is from the East coast. People who moved down to the sun. If you do not like East coast personalities, Florida (the Metro areas) will not be for you.

The non-metro areas are more redneckish.

Expenses are a LOT less than CA.

Most places in FL are active, and the weather generally is great. (More rain than CA)

FYI, Most men do not need to settle down, since the women are willing to not settle down either

Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
I love Orlando and I love LA, so I know what things you are talking about and why you love LA. I am just afraid that Orlando, while large and fun, will feel pretty podunk compared to LA and the only real comparison in Florida by any means will be Miami. Miami is a lot like LA including the things you are trying to get away from though. Miami will also require a lot of money to be in a nice, safe place and still allow you to partake in all of the fun clubs, restaurants, etc. around you!
People also for the most part are not as cheerful and active on the east coast as they are in California. To me, this also includes the other major cities on the east coast like NY, Boston, Philly, etc. The people you meet in California are a different breed and have more of that zest for life that you are referring to that is so contagious. I don't know that you will really find anywhere else quite like that if you go further east than Las Vegas or Phoenix.

I love Florida, but if I could move anywhere it would be Southern California. I love it there.
I know at my Starbucks this morning, they told me my regular barista moved to LA and I immediately felt a little jealous. I like Florida but don't really like the rest of the east coast that much. This is something to consider too, because if you want to visit, it is a long and expensive flight to get back to LA.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 AM

640 posts, read 3,074,757 times
I've lived in both places and I would pick California. Maybe some of it is just personal preference but you sound like you don't really want to leave other than for finances. I think you would come to regret moving here; maybe you can just find another way to make it work better for you where you are.

P.S. Hope to move back one day!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,031 times
Wilshire811 described it perfectly. Californians really do have a zest for life

However, i dont want to have roommates in my 30s like A LOT of people in this town just to be around LA positive energy. Most people in LA are "housepoor", leaving 4-5 people in a 2 bedroom apt, drowning in consumer debt. LA isn't really financially feasable for most, especially in this economy and the new 9.25% sales tax

I dont understand how much people in LA are comfortable with that financially hard lifestyle. In other places people would be embarrassed to say that they have roomates after the age of 30. In LA no one thinks much of it.

I am hoping that maybe downtown Orlando or south Tampa would have that "energy". Does downtown Orlando have comedy clubs, theaters to see plays, yoga, healthfood restaurants, art galleries??? I would hate if Orlando was all chain restaurants and commercialed entertainment venues (think dave and busters)

Has anyone made the move to Orlando from Manhattan or LA?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:19 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndecidedST View Post
Wilshire811 described it perfectly. Californians really do have a zest for life

However, i dont want to have roommates in my 30s like A LOT of people in this town just to be around LA positive energy. Most people in LA are "housepoor", leaving 4-5 people in a 2 bedroom apt, drowning in consumer debt. LA isn't really financially feasable for most, especially in this economy and the new 9.25% sales tax

I dont understand how much people in LA are comfortable with that financially hard lifestyle. In other places people would be embarrassed to say that they have roomates after the age of 30. In LA no one thinks much of it.

I am hoping that maybe downtown Orlando or south Tampa would have that "energy". Does downtown Orlando have comedy clubs, theaters to see plays, yoga, healthfood restaurants, art galleries??? I would hate if Orlando was all chain restaurants and commercialed entertainment venues (think dave and busters)

Has anyone made the move to Orlando from Manhattan or LA?
Sorry to break into your thread from NC but why not try Phoenix. No knock against O-Town or FLA in general b/c I am a FLA native. However, PHX would provide you with an affordable western alternative. Are the people in PHX just like the people in LA? NO! But PHX's vibe is prolly something you'll have an easier time adjusting to as opposed to the FLA vibe. I like the vibe of PHX. I prolly like the vibe better than FLA. As a previous poster said, FLA major cities have a somewhat East Coast vibe, but I'll throw in that its more of a relaxed, laid back, chill vibe which other East Coast cities do not have.

You most likely won't need a roommate in PHX either. A really nice 2/2 apt in a nice area like South Chandler will run about $1,200 which is nice.

As for your comment about the guys in LA waiting until late 30s to settle down b/c it takes them that long to become financially stable, that maybe true to an extent. But the first thing that came to my mind is that some guys in general like to play the field and in LA the field is like 20 football fields. Meaning, there so much time to play and too little time to settle down unless the gentleman in question has matured past the ways of a player. But there a lot of beautiful women in FLA and in PHX so don't expect that you won't find players there as well. A lot of my buddies that I hung with in PHX where in there earlier to mid 30s and they played the field like crazy. You just have to find the right dude.

Last edited by he's so hott; 03-24-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 02:52 PM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
I can relate.. spent most of my childhood in Gardena, my high school years in Orlando, and lived/worked in Miami for 2 years as well. LA is soo much better in terms of quality of life. However, like you said, you probably will never live the typical American dream. Now if you're okay with that, LA is the place to be. No, Orlando doesn't have as many of things you're looking for as far as entertainment so you'd have to compromise. I've noticed that all of my relatives in LA don't to get married and settle down well into their 30's, but those in FL tend to settle down VERY early--20's. It's like you said, those who are financially sound will begin to look towards a slower life (I guess). You also have to factor in that almost everything you rent in LA is old, while rentals in C. FL are fairly new. That's the comment I get from all my friends who visit LA with me, that everything seems so run down. However, that's just the norm for most people out there.

While I love LA and all it has to offer (beach, camping, entertainment, etc), I cannot stand having roommates. There's no way I'm moving back unless I either land my dream job or hit the lottery. My sister pays a $5k mortgage monthly, and while their incomes can comfortably afford it, I think it's insane!

Btw, you think Orlando is podunk? Try Raleigh, NC... But it has it's moments..

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,836 times
If you are willing to drive/fly to different cities or look for a job to get interviewed I would really suggest Sarasota. To me it is the most California of all Florida cities. People are progressive (not just talking politics although it was 50/50 Obama/McCain), nice, generally happy to be where they are. It's a smallish city with nowhere near the traffic of Orlando. Way more safe and affordable than Miami.

The beach and Gulf are gorgeous. Crime not a huge problem. And nurses will always be needed for the aging population. As edgy as LA? no no no. But once you settle down do you really need edgy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando