Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:40 PM

25 posts, read 170,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
I don't know...why don't you call the DMV and ask since this situation is apparently not covered in anything we can find? Or maybe ask the insurance agent...they might be able to help or at least give an idea.
The thing is while I am not trying to skirt the law, I really do not want to make a big deal out of it. Really at this point I am taking the "don't ask don't tell" policy, and since I (as well as anyone here) have no been able to find any kind of law otherwise, I am going to assume I have nothing to worry about since I am not the owner of the car.

S8Film40, in terms of your situation the vast majority of college students who go to college out of state will never change their license or tags. Technically as a college student you are a visitor to that state, not a resident. As long as your parents own the car and you do not claim to be a Florida resident on your taxes, you will be fine. With that said, if the state you are from charges state income taxes, any income you earn in Florida could be subject to state income taxes in your home state, even though it was earned in Florida (something to possibly look at). Also, if you do become a Florida resident, the last 3 years you can get in state tuition.

Finally, to answer your question about ownership S8Film40, I do not believe you can register a car in a state that you do not claim residence in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM

30 posts, read 155,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
You don't have to change license or tags if you're a college student but why would you not ? after 1 year of having a license and tags in Florida you would qualify for in-state tuition.
I already thought about that. I can become a legal resident of the state of Florida, but I cannot gain residency for tuition purposes because I am not financially independent. The only other way I could gain residency here is if I had a parent that also lived here for a year. I have already tried everything possible for me to gain residency, so there really isn't any reason for me to switch everything over. I might as well though if I am going to be living here for good. I also plan to get a full time job after college and go to grad school after I get my undergraduate degree. I could gain residency for tuition purposes that way, since I will be financially independent. Thanks for the help though.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 PM

25 posts, read 170,997 times
If I may ask RedSoxfan what university in Florida are you looking to attend?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:25 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan3 View Post
I already thought about that. I can become a legal resident of the state of Florida, but I cannot gain residency for tuition purposes because I am not financially independent. The only other way I could gain residency here is if I had a parent that also lived here for a year. I have already tried everything possible for me to gain residency, so there really isn't any reason for me to switch everything over. I might as well though if I am going to be living here for good. I also plan to get a full time job after college and go to grad school after I get my undergraduate degree. I could gain residency for tuition purposes that way, since I will be financially independent. Thanks for the help though.
You can gain residency here for tuition purposes. Financial independence has nothing to do with it.

I moved here to attend school at 19. I got a driver's license, voters registration, and most important a Declaration of Domicile. In a year I was eligible for in state tuition. My financial status, and that of my parents (who lived in PA) had zero to do with it.

Read this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...-resident.html

Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin83 View Post
If I may ask RedSoxfan what university in Florida are you looking to attend?
Florida Gulf Coast University. It is in Fort Myers if you were not aware. I just happened to come across this topic and thought it somewhat related to my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
You can gain residency here for tuition purposes. Financial independence has nothing to do with it.

I moved here to attend school at 19. I got a driver's license, voters registration, and most important a Declaration of Domicile. In a year I was eligible for in state tuition. My financial status, and that of my parents (who lived in PA) had zero to do with it.

Read this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...-resident.html
Straight from the FGCU website:

Quote:
Evidence that you are the financial dependant of an out-of-state resident WILL DISQUALIFY you from Residency Reclassification.
I have already contacted the school and asked them about it. Since my parents live out-of-state and I am financially dependent on an out-of-state resident, I cannot gain residency for tuition purposes. They know that I am a financial dependent on someone from out-of-state from the FAFSA and since my parents still claim me on their taxes. I am not making a high enough income to claim myself, otherwise I would. I am not sure if it differs from school to school (although I don't think it does), but I even met with a university representative and told them my situation and they said that there is no way I can gain residency for tuition purposes, unless a parent moves to Florida or if I can become financially independent.

Also, may I ask how long ago it was since you first started college in Florida? It may have some sort of impact if any guidelines were changed.

This was also in the link you posted:

Quote:
We were Illinois residents when our son went off to FL to college. At that time we found that he couldn't become a FL resident unless we did. As long as he was financially tied to us he was tied to our home state. We did all become legal Floridians about 8 months later. It literally took us two days when we moved.
The only way that their son could gain residency for tuition purposes was because they moved down to Florida as well. If you are financially dependent on someone out-of-state, then you can't get in-state tuition.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:22 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Well you are right. I apologize for the misinformation. I am living in the past-1982-when I applied for in-state tuition.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Years ago, my step son, a Florida Resident, was driving my car (Tagged in another State) got a ticket for not titling my car in Florida. He went to Court to fight this. They judge dismissed the case but had him pay Court fees. Now how can one title a car in Florida that they do not own? Umm.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:03 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
Years ago, my step son, a Florida Resident, was driving my car (Tagged in another State) got a ticket for not titling my car in Florida. He went to Court to fight this. They judge dismissed the case but had him pay Court fees. Now how can one title a car in Florida that they do not own? Umm.

What you need to do is call your auto insurance company. Explain the situation. You also need to contact your home state's DMV since they check whether you have insurance on file and if you switch to out of state insurance policy, they will think you do not have any insurance policy.

Tell them you are insuring the car in Florida (since it is garaged there most of the time now)

You do not need to get your tags changed.

Have your son carry these documents in the glove compartment of the car in case he ever gets pulled over again. If the police stops him over, he can show it to them.

I've done this with my Maryland car tags, Florida auto insurance. Sure, it will cost you a little more since I did not get the multi-car discount with my Florida insured car, Maryland tags (I own homes in both states). But paying an extra $100 per 6 months is worth it to avoid the hassle and stay within the laws of both states.

Now, if your son lawfully takes full possession of the car (Title of car in his name) , than he needs to get his tags in Florida also.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
aneftp, You've made assumptions. The car was not housed in Florida. I never said that. I happened to be in Florida with my car. We had proof of insurance, this was never the question. Please reread my post.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Well you are right. I apologize for the misinformation. I am living in the past-1982-when I applied for in-state tuition.
Not a problem at all. Things change quite frequently. Still thanks for the help though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando