Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 9,071 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a newbie to this forum but we are in the final stages of a move to Orlando from the U.K.

We have various areas for final consideration but Metro West is an area that we are very much favouring at the moment. I have seen some fairly negative comments on this forum but this contrasts somewhat with the time that we have spent there. Would welcome any "balanced opinions" other members can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 06:38 PM

22 posts, read 151,049 times
I lived in Metro West for 1 year when I first moved to Orlando. I didn't have any problems, but did not necessarily feel "safe". I ran early in the morning and walked my dog after dark with little concern. There are areas of Metro West that are worse than others. If you stay on the Veranda Park side, away from Kirkman road and Wal-Mart (the worst thing to happen to Metro West in my opinion) then you are better off. If you are looking at single family homes that's a bit different than living in one of the many condo conversions. I will say that after I have lived in Orlando I have grown to like other areas much better and I think that you will find the same. From an investment standpoint, you will not find the appreciation that you will find in other areas. Even if some of the crime is media hype, it's still affecting the market. I am not anti metro-west, but statistics do not lie and you should at least be educated before you make a major purchase.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:45 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb2519 View Post
I lived in Metro West for 1 year when I first moved to Orlando. I didn't have any problems, but did not necessarily feel "safe". I ran early in the morning and walked my dog after dark with little concern. There are areas of Metro West that are worse than others. If you stay on the Veranda Park side, away from Kirkman road and Wal-Mart (the worst thing to happen to Metro West in my opinion) then you are better off. If you are looking at single family homes that's a bit different than living in one of the many condo conversions. I will say that after I have lived in Orlando I have grown to like other areas much better and I think that you will find the same. From an investment standpoint, you will not find the appreciation that you will find in other areas. Even if some of the crime is media hype, it's still affecting the market. I am not anti metro-west, but statistics do not lie and you should at least be educated before you make a major purchase.
Great post Emb - I totally agree with eveything you said. The crime has had its deal of media hype but the facts still stand - it just does not have the reputation that it had a decade ago. The touristy section is what I would call the area to stay away from the most (Kirkman). Good luck!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:08 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Exclamation Stay As Far Away As Possible!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningman View Post
Hello. I am a newbie to this forum but we are in the final stages of a move to Orlando from the U.K.

We have various areas for final consideration but Metro West is an area that we are very much favouring at the moment. I have seen some fairly negative comments on this forum but this contrasts somewhat with the time that we have spent there. Would welcome any "balanced opinions" other members can offer.

I grew up in MetroWest (MW). We had an apt for 2 years and then almost 6 years in a house. We sold and RAN (not walk, RAN AS FAST AS WE COULD) from MetroWest to Lake Mary because MW is so dangerous now. And I am speaking from a point of view that I owned a house in St. Andrews (very expensive homes).

You cannot even pump gas without having to keep watch in MW. People get carjacked and drugs are sold in the Walmart on Kirkman and Metro West blvd. Women are often attacked and rapped while jogging in the area. I could not even get groceries after dark without having a 9mm pistol ready to go on my waistband, as people try to rob you. Prostitues walk in the apt complexes in MW and they keep finding meth labs and crack houses in MW homes (even expensive ones).

MW is under siege from all the ghetto areas in West Orlando.

Stay as far away as possible from MetroWest/Kirkman rd/Conroy rd. That area was formerly considered "noble and upperclass", but now it's just an expensive, dangerous area. It is still beaitiful, I love it and miss it, but iot is too dangerous to live there now.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,071 times
If you dont mind me saying Nirvana Guy are you not being a little over dramatic?

Every area has its issues but on looking at your overall postings you appear as an individual in constant fear of being shot/raped/hung etc.

I was just looking for an overview of the area and do appreciate your views but your colourfull descriptive comments of the area make it sound all very like a late 70s low budget crime show location.

Can you clarrify the exact area of Metro West where this huge gathering of criminal activity and uncontrolled flying shrapnel is played out on a daily basis?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningman View Post
If you dont mind me saying Nirvana Guy are you not being a little over dramatic?

Every area has its issues but on looking at your overall postings you appear as an individual in constant fear of being shot/raped/hung etc.

I was just looking for an overview of the area and do appreciate your views but your colourfull descriptive comments of the area make it sound all very like a late 70s low budget crime show location.

Can you clarrify the exact area of Metro West where this huge gathering of criminal activity and uncontrolled flying shrapnel is played out on a daily basis?
Ok, don't believe me? Read what some residents of Metro West are saying about their area.

The area has gone to hell in terms of violent crimes. Don't want to believe me? Fine. Go and invest in the area. You will regret investing there.

Check out the local news chanells and you will hear of AT LEAST 1 muder a week in MetroWest and a ton of robberies, kidnappings, etc.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,356 times
I am planning on attending Valencia Communtiy College in the fall.Now, I am not from the area so I will not be living at home with mom. My friend and I are planning on moving into a apartment close to the campus, all this negative talk about the area has made me uneasy about it. Is there any areas someone may mention that will be a good area for two 18 year old females to live in that isnt too far from the college???

Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM

27 posts, read 117,436 times
All I can say is DO NOT LIVE ON RALEIGH ST. Raleigh is not horrible, but that seems to be where the crime is centered. Other than that you should be fine.

MW is a far cry from my Chicago neighborhood; and looks like disneyland compared to Miami.

p.s. I visit walmart in the middle of the night.. no problems so far

Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
Where do you/ did you live in Chicago?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 AM

33 posts, read 192,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Ok, don't believe me? Read what some residents of Metro West are saying about their area.

The area has gone to hell in terms of violent crimes. Don't want to believe me? Fine. Go and invest in the area. You will regret investing there.

Check out the local news chanells and you will hear of AT LEAST 1 muder a week in MetroWest and a ton of robberies, kidnappings, etc.
Yes, he is being Extremely over dramatic. One murder a week? Give us a break! I have personally lived in the area for the past few years and own a condo. Believe me, he is way off. It might not have the best rap right now, but you are fine pumping gas! You won't get jumped!! LOL!!! People are REDICULOUS! At least you caught on to his far cries from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando