Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,921 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We were down in the Orlando area this week for our annual vacation (staying off Disney property for most of this trip). I've been going down there for vacation since I was about 4 years old and maybe because I was off property this time, listened to the news more than I usually do when down there.

Is it me or were there just some wierd news stories going on this week? We heard about a family being "attacked" at a Wal-mart because this lady didn't like that a guy was bouncing a basketball in the parking lot on the way to his car. Something about a woman didn't realize her toddler fell out of her car window until she was about a mile down the road, other assorted stories about 1 year olds roaming around apartment complexes by themselves, possible serial killers, etc. My husband who is from Florida originally was making a joke saying it was basically being stupid from the heat. Do you think it's that or just a coincidence that all this bizarre stuff was going on at the same time. I'm from the Raleigh, NC area and we have our doozy news stories, but even I said to myself, this place sounds like it's gettin' wierd (and I was hoping to move near this area some day)...

Any thoughts? On another note, I'd still rather be vacationing there than back at work...oh well can start planning our next trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM

258 posts, read 812,335 times
Sadly none of that stuff seems too out of the ordinary given their locations. I know the apt complex where that baby was seen wandering alone... and the other one, well, it's Wal-mart. Nothing good happens at Wal-mart.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
It's not just here thought. A newborn was found in a shoe box in the lobby of a NYC apartment building earlier today. The entire world is going CooCoo for CoCo Puffs.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM

please tell me they were alive?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Welcome to Florida!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM

123 posts, read 253,032 times
Funny, I also noticed that Orlando has been on the news quite a bit in the past year, but thinking maybe I was being fooled by my own intention to move there, or because of the whole Caylee (sp?) Anthony thing.

BTW, you're lucky in Raleigh -- you have Waraji there!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Ha-ha, never eaten there, maybe I should check it out.

Thanks for everyone's comments

Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
I have noticed in the two years we have been in FL more cases of child abuse and neglect than anywhere else, and have seen things like very young children being left in cars many times with the engine running.

When I tracked down the parent ( a redneck) I was told to my mind my own (curse word) business.

Sorry, FL does have a subculture of people, the family of the missing and presumed dead Haleigh Cummings is a perfect example.

I think it is a combination of the heat and whatever is in the ground water.

But there is definitely a "different breed" that you don't find in many other states.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
If I'm not mistaken, Haleigh Cummings' mother is from Georgia.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
No, they are from northern Florida and she is engaged to her stepbrother whom she also has a child with.

The father in addition to marrying his 17 yr old girlfriend(never understood how he got away with living with an underage girl) has a third child with another woman.

Like I said a "different breed". It is ashame they feel the need to procreate.

I cringed when they were on the national news, I don't think anyone in the family had more than a double digit IQ.

That poor child. And the thing is there is no follow up. They either did it or they know who did it. Father had a long history of drug use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando