Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 22,868 times

Advertisements

I'd like information on Dr. Phillips High School, please. In particular, I'm looking to relocate (with children) to that area. I have checked out the school grades, but really, most of the high schools in that area (Olympia, West Orange) all seem to be doing well ("A's").

I care less about FCAT scores than I do about a safe environment for kids and an overall positive vibe. I'd love a "community school" where you see a lot of turnout at sporting events, etc.

I can really go anywhere in the Windermere, Winter Garden, Dr. Phillips area, and the high school will be the tipping point, so the "inside track" would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:08 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Dr. Phillips is one of the best areas of Orlando, and as a recent alumnus of the high school, I have some first-hand knowledge. I personally found the performing arts magnet program the best part of the school, so if your kids are into that, it really is an amazing program. If not, sports were definitely a big thing there (especially football), and the games seemed to have large turn-outs. The area is very safe (I've never even heard of any crime in all the years I lived there, unless I'm forgetting a minor incident).
I always found Dr. Phillips High School to have a good vibe, although there were occasional fights and sometimes theft from the vending machines... surely nothing you wouldn't find at any other high school. If you need any more specific information, don't hesitate to ask

Old 10-01-2009, 04:45 AM

7 posts, read 22,868 times
Thanks so much - very helpful!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 10,893 times
DPHS is in my opinion the best school in Orlando, Florida. I went there for my freshman year. It has great academic test scores and the faculty and staff are really nice. Fights are occasional but that is how kids are i guess. Low crime ratings are most definite. The sports category is a big thing at Dr Phillips. We ranked state quite a few times. The school has a good vibe. Every now and then you may hear screams coming from people on roller coasters since DP is located right across the street from Universal Studios, but other than that your making a good decision if you pick this school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando