Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times

Advertisements

I set my a/c at 83...use ceiling fans...hot water heater timer....wash dishes by hand...not a huge fridge...it's all a matter of cutting back...but in the future we are all going to get slammed with the democrate plans for cap and trade...that's going to really hurt alot of people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Use fans just like they did pre-A/C. Air conditioning is NOT a "need."

That reminds me of another way to cut down on the a/c bill. I ahve ceiling fans in almost every room, and find that we can very comfortably keep the a/c set at 78-82 depending on the humidity levels with the fans running.

Really? Because our central air broke a few weeks ago. Thankfully the guy could come out and repair it within a couple of hours.

The house got up to 88 degrees within a hour or so, with all the ceiling fans going.

A/C is not optional in Florida.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Without A/C our home goes to 82 degrees. My wife must have A/C to breathe. We had the max SEER A/C on the market, lots of insulation in the atic, and close off rooms not beiing used. We still have $300 + bills and I will never raise the A/C above 77 degrees. At night it is set at 74 or 73. Our aunt in Ft Lauderdale doesn't turn her A/C on ....Holy cow!!!! Her home is HOT....

We have a solar Hot Water heater that is suppose to save us 1/3 electric and our first month we did see the rate lower to where it is now. With cap and trade I guess resting in the pool at night will be a cool thing to do....

Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? Because our central air broke a few weeks ago. Thankfully the guy could come out and repair it within a couple of hours.

The house got up to 88 degrees within a hour or so, with all the ceiling fans going.

A/C is not optional in Florida.
So you're telling me that everyone in Florida has a/c, and no one lived here until after a/c was invented?

Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM

239 posts, read 467,950 times
And just think the major electric companies are all looking to raise rates again. At this rate alot more people will be leaving Florida, because they will not be able to afford living here. Moderator cut: Off Topic/Trolling/Flaming

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-06-2009 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 05:20 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,318 times
I live in a 3000 Sq. foot 2-story house with 4 other people, 5 total. Our most expensive bill this summer was $380 our cheapest bill in Feb. was $120 (we have progress energy). We have 2 46" LCD HDTV's, plus 3 other smaller tv's, 5 computers, a few video gaming systems, 2 AC units and no ceiling fans. One thing to note is that the water is heated by gas, and that runs about $40-$50/month, so I guess we save there. Your bill does seem high though, compared to what mine is for a larger home.......

Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
So you're telling me that everyone in Florida has a/c, and no one lived here until after a/c was invented?

I know you like to argue with me....LOL...that is ok....but you know everyone uses the A/C most of the year here.

I guess you could live in upstate NY without heat,but I think it would be as comfortable as FL without A/C.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
The invention of the A/C helped the population boom of Florida for sure. Before there was no a/c most people only came down on vacation for a few months out of the year. Florida didn't have a huge population before that as it was way to hot and the mosquitos were a big problem here in Florida.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:37 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Quote:
Use fans just like they did pre-A/C. Air conditioning is NOT a "need."

That reminds me of another way to cut down on the a/c bill. I ahve ceiling fans in almost every room, and find that we can very comfortably keep the a/c set at 78-82 depending on the humidity levels with the fans running.
Are you nuts? Our a/c broke over the hottest weekend in August. Our house is a newer home and it got up to 90F in the house. Miserable. We finally got a room ac for the bedroom just so we could sleep. Had to keep the 2 dogs in the room with us. No way am I living in florida without a/c. In the pre a/c homes, the windows were larger and the houses were not insulated. Of course, I am not bold enough to sleep with my windows open in central florida ever. Too much crime.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanntis View Post
I have a house built 2003, about 2056 sq. feet. and 6 people living in it. we don't use a dishwasher,

but the washer/dryer get used a lot.

the AC is kept at 77 during the day.
Even in the coldest times in Orlando around December the electric wont get below 300+. what do you guys think ?

There is a big key. Our electric bill was under $200. Our older kids moved back and the washer and dryer were going every day at least half the day. Up goes the electric bill.

Washer/Dryer (especially the dryer) and computer systems (includes xbox etc) are heavy on electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: