Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 PM

68 posts, read 213,511 times

Advertisements

I have a young siberian husky who needs lots of daily exercise. My current home in NJ has a large fenced yard which is a big help. The home listings that I am looking at in the Lake Mary and Oviedo seem similar in size but the yards all either have a lake or a golf course in the back yard. Would I be permitted to put up any type of fence around my yard that is at least six feet in height? I'm afraid it's necessary with this breed. I sure hope so, if not I'll have a lot smaller selection of homes to look at. Regarding lakes, if my house is near one do I have to worry about alligators and or mosquitos? Are real lakes less of a hazard then man made ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM

229 posts, read 778,870 times
ANY water body in Florida of any decent size has the potential for alligators.

That said, both myself and my dogs go into said bodies of water all the time.

The risk is there and REAL, but is not as big as some may have you believe.

I avoid areas that I have seen IDIOTS feeding gators of course, other than that you have to keep your senses alert and your dog under supervision all the time.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
As far as a fence, check with the HOA.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 AM

59 posts, read 249,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesupra View Post
Are real lakes less of a hazard then man made ones?
Real lakes generally do have more gators than artificial ones, since real lakes have better habitat and diversity of food. BUT, the further you go into nature, the more likely you are to have gators, so an artificial lake in the middle of nature will have more gators than a natural lake in the middle of Orlando.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:21 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Living near a lake, yes you should be concerned about gators. Mosquitos yes, just bring your dog inside the house at dawn and dusk, that is when mosquitos feed. Also use Advantix year round which supposibly works against mosquitos too. But you should be more concerned about Buffo Toads, some dogs that like to chase things, love these guys. Big dogs usually don't die from licking them (little dogs do), but they do get really sick if you don't wash their mouth out with water. So make sure there is a garden house in the yard, and wash their mouth out with the hose for a few minutes. Its not fun for them, but its better to have a happy dog the next day. This link explains a little more about symptoms, etc. Bufo marinus - Giant Toad, Cane Toad, Marine ToadBufo Toad Poisoning

This is what they look like http://floridagardener.com/critters/BufoMarinus.htm

As far as the fence you will need to contact the community HOA if there is one. If you can put a solid fence your dog will not have any problems with gators or toads.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Living near a lake, yes you should be concerned about gators. Mosquitos yes, just bring your dog inside the house at dawn and dusk, that is when mosquitos feed. Also use Advantix year round which supposibly works against mosquitos too. But you should be more concerned about Buffo Toads, some dogs that like to chase things, love these guys. Big dogs usually don't die from licking them (little dogs do), but they do get really sick if you don't wash their mouth out with water. So make sure there is a garden house in the yard, and wash their mouth out with the hose for a few minutes. Its not fun for them, but its better to have a happy dog the next day. This link explains a little more about symptoms, etc. Bufo marinus - Giant Toad, Cane Toad, Marine ToadBufo Toad Poisoning

This is what they look like Bufo marinus - Giant Toad, Cane Toad, Marine Toad

Thanks for this link...I had no idea about these toads and I have a small dog and we live on a small pond He is always chasing something....sigh. I can now be more alert about exactly what he is chasing!!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:30 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
Fence height and type will be dictated by your local Nazi establishment...I mean the neighborhood HOA. Being a waterfront property may impose more restrictions than not since folks generally want to see the water feature. I can recall very few ponds with large privacy fences surrounding them down there. But again, check with the HOA as it will be their sole discretion.

As for gators, assume they are in every body of water, regardless of size. Roadside ditches (that have standing water), ponds and lakes of all sizes, rivers, canals, wetlands, estuaries...if it has some amount of permanent water in it, there probably is a gator. However, that doesn't mean you have to be petrified of them. As mentioned already in this thread, it's when stupid humans feed them that gators become a hazard to people. The only other time is during nesting season, but gator nests are 99% of the time out of the way of any human traffic and are likely typically hidden, but always near water.

Mosquitoes will be a nuisance regardless of where you live since there is some form of breeding ground within a couple hundred yards where ever you are in FL. Standing, stagnant pools of water is what they need. Puddles that sit for a while, old tires with water inside, ponds, wetlands...mosquitoes will be part of your life in FL. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
There are mosquitoes here, but they were A LOT worse when I lived in Cicero, NY. I still have nightmares about the mosquitoes up there.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Personally if I had it to do over again, I would NOT buy a house in a Home Owners Association, that way you can put up what kind of fence you want, otherwise you will have to follow the rules they set out about the height and the material your fence is made of.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM

295 posts, read 832,666 times
According to Lake Mary city code ordinance, fences are restricted to a height of 6 feet. That's the city code, and HOA's might further restrict height and/or types of fence.
I'm not sure about Oviedo, sorry. Might call the city offices (I'd inquire with a code officer). I tried to search their Code of Ordinances but didn't find much regarding fences offhand. I'd check with the city to be sure tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando