Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,718 times

Advertisements

It's tough to make the move from New York to Florida. Will a person get hired when they move from the North?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 04:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
It depends on what you do. Unemployment here is much higher than up in NY.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
I was just going to say it depends what you do. When I moved here, I practically had my job already lines up. Times are different now, so it just depends.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:35 PM

429 posts, read 1,105,588 times
I'm in IT and found something quickly, wife is in marketing and is waiting to hear back after some interviews... so it does really depend on your skill level and what you do' good luck

Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonafuture View Post
It's tough to make the move from New York to Florida. Will a person get hired when they move from the North?
depens on what you do

unemployment in Orlando is almost 12%, compared with 2% in 2006. If you count the people who's claims have expired, people who have given up looking (i know some folks who havent worked in 2 years and they DO look!) people who work part time, and those who had hours cut, the rate is more around 20-25%

Old 12-30-2009, 01:30 PM

34 posts, read 133,223 times
Yes - it is very difficult finding a job in Florida these days. Alot of unemployed qualified candidates and very few jobs. The jobs that are out there don't pay well so my suggestion is that you find a job first or put some money aside to carry you through.

One other notion I want to dis-spell, although your not saying this I wonder if your insinuating it. Your being from New York or New York City does not give you one iota of an advantage. Some northerners come down here with the belief that Florida companies will "jump at the chance" to hire a northerner because of their experience. Not the case and there are lots of northerners down here so that is not a unique characteristic. Not saying this is you, but just putting that out there. Northerners coming down here now-a-days are becoming unemployed ex-northerners.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d070033 View Post
Yes - it is very difficult finding a job in Florida these days. Alot of unemployed qualified candidates and very few jobs. The jobs that are out there don't pay well so my suggestion is that you find a job first or put some money aside to carry you through.

One other notion I want to dis-spell, although your not saying this I wonder if your insinuating it. Your being from New York or New York City does not give you one iota of an advantage. Some northerners come down here with the belief that Florida companies will "jump at the chance" to hire a northerner because of their experience. Not the case and there are lots of northerners down here so that is not a unique characteristic. Not saying this is you, but just putting that out there. Northerners coming down here now-a-days are becoming unemployed ex-northerners.
I really have to disagree..

You can find jobs IF you are qualified and depending on your career.
And being from NYC WILL help, depending on who your experience in NYC is with and guess what? What you do!

Basically, its all about your experience and your career...as people have been saying in here. I was reading this type of stuff for months before I moved.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Some employers seem to want to hire northerners, others will pretty much end the interview the second they don't hear a southern drawl--at least in my experience.

I had one person tell me that they wouldn't hire me because I didn't understand "Florida Culture" whatever the heck that means.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I had one person tell me that they wouldn't hire me because I didn't understand "Florida Culture" whatever the heck that means.

wow... if you ever hear what that means, i'd love to hear it, lol

Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 PM

I've been here five years and I'm still not sure what "Florida Culture" is. Frankly the lady who was interviewing me was a bit of a nutjob, I had decided I wouldn't accept a position even if had been offered by the time that came out of her mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: