Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,995 times

Advertisements

This is probably too general a topic to ask about but I'm really curious. I think I'm one of those people who is just about ready to get out of Florida entirely, and I see a lot of other people who have the same sentiments of the high costs and the low wages and the very not-so-diverse job industry, but what I'm really curious about is not why you left Florida, but where did you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:20 PM

219 posts, read 589,034 times
I am from Florida...not born but been there since like the age of 5 (im 35 now) so I consider myself from there. And I used to feel the same as you. So...after high school I did the college thing and then left. Lived up and down the eastern seaboard looking for "my place" and just didn't find it. So I headed out west...california and spent three years there then came back to Florida, even lived overseas for about a year. After about a year or so I started feeling the same old feeling, so a year ago...off I went to NC (charlotte). And after a year I am happy to say that I am on my way back to Florida. I think I have tried to tell myself that I don't want to live in Florida but every time I go away I find myself talking to people and saying.....Florida this....and Florida that...

Fact is, it is not the best place on earth nor the worse. It may not have what everybody is looking for but for me...I have come to grips that I am a Floridian. I love the weather, the beaches, the afternoon thunderstorms...the ability to play golf or ride my motorcycle pretty much year round. So I encourage everybody to move...it will free up some of the traffic! . But I imagine that a lot of those who move end up coming back!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,316,883 times
We lived in Florida for a short time 20 years ago and should have never left.

It is not any better or worse then any place else but it gives us something we like, sun, ocean, beaches, warm air and lots more.

Why not have those things that Florida has that other states do not.

You will find not to many places are any better then Florida, everywhere is having problems with jobs, housing etc.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
We're one of those ppl, just ready for a change. No regrets of living in FL, as a matter of a fact I do like it. Our next stop is NC once we sell our house.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We're one of those ppl, just ready for a change. No regrets of living in FL, as a matter of a fact I do like it. Our next stop is NC once we sell our house.

Wanna trade houses????????

Old 03-23-2009, 06:32 PM

631 posts, read 2,452,919 times
I moved back to Nashville and was only there for 5 months or so before I started looking to move again. I had planned to move to Austin - everything was in a tailspin it seemed, and then a great job opened back up in Orlando. I cannot express how much I disliked Orlando when I left, but once I got to see how it is elsewhere again, I couldnt wait to get back. It's all dependent on where you live and how you live your life no matter where you are, but Orlando has a lot more to offer than a lot of cities.

Nashville is just as dangerous, traffic is much worse, and the funny part is that everyone there now is from somewhere else (like Florida, California and New York!). They had turned Nashville into what they ran from and it just saddened me. So here I am back in Otown and don't regret it a bit.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
Wanna trade houses????????
Whatcha got?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,894,028 times
My husband & I moved to a small waterfront town near Seattle nearly two years ago after living in Orlando for 15 years (orig from IL). Although we never hated living in Orlando, the summer heat was getting harder to tolerate every year. We both absolutely love living here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. The maritime climate is never too cold, never too hot. We're outside nearly every day, either working in our yard at home, walking along the waterfront or to a coffeehouse in our quaint downtown...sometimes hiking nearby mountain trails, rainforests or exploring rocky beaches. We plan to stay right here.

Lynn

Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Whatcha got?

Ha! I would honestly think about it but we are heading to Tampa! My wife has been down there since Saturday (she is staying in Orlando) and has been out in Tampa looking at places.....I guess where I live is not up to me this time! I wouldn't be surprised to find she bought a spot inside of a mall....HA

I will miss the houses up here. I love the look of them....all brick, two story nice big fireplace....

Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM

910 posts, read 2,333,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
My husband & I moved to a small waterfront town near Seattle nearly two years ago after living in Orlando for 15 years (orig from IL). Although we never hated living in Orlando, the summer heat was getting harder to tolerate every year. We both absolutely love living here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. The maritime climate is never too cold, never too hot. We're outside nearly every day, either working in our yard at home, walking along the waterfront or to a coffeehouse in our quaint downtown...sometimes hiking nearby mountain trails, rainforests or exploring rocky beaches. We plan to stay right here.

Lynn
Coming from IL, I would see how you would like the relatively mild weather in the Pacific NW. By the time we move in 3 years, we would have stayed in Orlando for 16 years, a long time, but at least doesn't break our record of staying in suburban Chicago for 21 years. And we're going to back to suburban Chicago ourselves. It is difficult to tolerate the heat, coupled with the traffic, of central FL down here, at least for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando