Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 AM

43 posts, read 114,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many View Post
I also would not look just at "the grade" the school has. We used to live in Polk County when my oldest started school. The School Principal from the "A" school verbally attacked me in the office. He was suspended for 2 weeks without pay. (there was a bullying problem in the school - surprise surprise!) I requested a transfer to the closest local elem school. This new school was a B school - and if I could, I'd move my kids back in a heart beat! Good luck on your job hunt.

BTW.. I love your user name! my email address is zookeeper2five :-)
Oh wow! Do you have 5 kids? I have 4 and 2 stepkids, and sometimes it feels like a zoo LOL They are all growing up though, so its calming down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM

OP here, thank you for all of the replys. He is on his way down to interview for Lake County and probably accept the job in Orange unless something changes.

I've done a little research on the other end (where to send our 6-yo with autism) and OCPS is probably the better choice.

If I had my choice we would stay in Santa Rosa County, where we have A rated schools, but so much competition for jobs in schools like these that a 1st year teacher doesn't have a chance.

He is a 20 year Navy vet, I am hoping he can handle the big city kids

Old 01-11-2010, 01:24 PM

14 posts, read 57,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeperto6 View Post
Oh wow! Do you have 5 kids? I have 4 and 2 stepkids, and sometimes it feels like a zoo LOL They are all growing up though, so its calming down
Yes, I have 5. 10yob, 9yog, 6yog and 3yo identical twin boys.

It is DEFINITELY a ZOO! LOL

I do not know if they will ever be calm. Two are on the Autism Spectrum. And one... well she is 9 going on 16. I dont know if I can handle her pre-teen years! LOL

Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeperto6 View Post
OP here, thank you for all of the replys. He is on his way down to interview for Lake County and probably accept the job in Orange unless something changes.

I've done a little research on the other end (where to send our 6-yo with autism) and OCPS is probably the better choice.

If I had my choice we would stay in Santa Rosa County, where we have A rated schools, but so much competition for jobs in schools like these that a 1st year teacher doesn't have a chance.

He is a 20 year Navy vet, I am hoping he can handle the big city kids
Oh you have a child with autism! Me too! My 10yo boy has Aspergers and one of my 3 yr old twins just was screened today and is being sent for the ADOS test.

The first thing you need to do is contact UCF CARD (UCF CARD) They will link you up with a coordinator. The coordinator comes into the schools with you, comes into your home, and they offer TONS of free training. they even give away free things like movie tickets and tickets to sporting events. They can direct you with schools.

Where is he on the Spectrum?

Palm Lake Elem in Dr. Phillips neighborhood is EXCELLENT! They have an autistic program. So does Thornebrooke in Winter Garden. They will bus your son there. If he is high functioning... you really do have a battle. They "look" like they do not have disabilities, and some teachers just don't get it. We are at Keenes Crossing. I do honestly love this school. The Principal and the Guidance Counselor and the ESE teacher ROCK. BUT it is a new school that opened this year. there are kinks that are being worked out, but overall I am happy with the progress my son is making there. My son has free access to the guidance counselor when he needs help to chill out.

In Orange County we have an Autism Dept in the ESE Dept. CLICK HERE I HIGHLY recommend calling Dr. McIntire (he ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and ask him about the best schools available for your sons particular needs. At the beg of the schoolr yr my son was in trouble because he and another child with Aspergers (they sat them together at a table... not such a smart idea!) Were poking each other with pencils. And they wanted to suspend him. I called Dr. McIntire and within two hrs he was on the phone with the principal. Now the Principal is educated on Aspergers and so we have no problems.

I will say that if you get active in the school you will get more services for your child.

Good luck!

Debra

Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Also try Princeton House Charter School for Autistic Children Princeton House Charter School

Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 16,034 times
It was only a while ago that I was looking to move to Orlando. I'm currently in the San Jose/Bay Area and my company is about to close due to the economic recession. I had the opportunity to relocate to Orlando but after visiting the area for about two weeks and looking through various areas, I chose to relocate to another state. In my opinion (and it's strictly my opinion only), I don't think the Orlando area is very safe. I did get to see some areas where it was very pleasant but crime seems to be a problem in a large part of the state. It almost appears the tenants within the city is trying to leave, which is very unfortunate. I think the main point of my post is that everyone has their own opinions and it's impossible to rely on what "he said, she said" remarks. Best to just go take a trip out there and really spend time looking thru the area, checking the schools firsthand, going to see the malls, checking the city, etc. Until that happens, you'll just hear flaming back and forth from everyone.

Lex

Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many View Post
Yes, I have 5. 10yob, 9yog, 6yog and 3yo identical twin boys.

It is DEFINITELY a ZOO! LOL

I do not know if they will ever be calm. Two are on the Autism Spectrum. And one... well she is 9 going on 16. I dont know if I can handle her pre-teen years! LOL
We have something else in common, I have a 6-yo with autism. The others are 21g, 18b, 14g and the steps are now out of the picture. We have rules at our house...not much fun I guess. They chose teen pregnancy and welfare over us, but hey....thats another story.

Do you live in Orlando? What do you think of the autism services?

(edit)
Ok sorry I kept reading LOL I sent you a PM...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando