Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,439 times

Advertisements

FYI here's a great link to let everyone know what kind of road projects are and will be upcoming shortly in your area. Lots of work being done in my neighborhood, looking good so far. Also, how much each project will cost.

Region's roads will benefit from stimulus money - Orlando Sentinel

http://oscnewsgazette.com/index.php?...=5276&Itemid=6

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/DEPT/pw/transplan/projects/default.htm (broken link)

Last edited by **NoodLes**; 02-18-2010 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
road construction projects that I notice near me include: the widening of rouse road, dean road from university blvd to 50, widening of 50 all the way to Avalon park blvd, widening of lake underhill from Conway to rouse road, and widening of alafaya from curryford down to Avalon park/innovation way.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
I really enjoy living in Orlando.....but I've got to say that they have so many bad roads here. I work downtown and between those stupid lumpy brick roads (that apparently were engineered incorrectly) and the pot holes.....it's a real wear and tear on my tires.

Jacksonville put in the 'penny tax on gas' a few years ago and used that money to keep the roads in good shape. I'm so surprised Orlando never did the same thing.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:20 PM

I dont have a problem with the roads in my side of town, they are actually all pretty nice smooth and black. Most of the projects are just road widenings.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:36 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I really enjoy living in Orlando.....but I've got to say that they have so many bad roads here. I work downtown and between those stupid lumpy brick roads (that apparently were engineered incorrectly) and the pot holes.....it's a real wear and tear on my tires.

Jacksonville put in the 'penny tax on gas' a few years ago and used that money to keep the roads in good shape. I'm so surprised Orlando never did the same thing.
Orlando is so anti-tax, even one penny would be enough to cause a city-wide uproar

Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I dont have a problem with the roads in my side of town, they are actually all pretty nice smooth and black. Most of the projects are just road widenings.
Where you are the roads are pretty good. But I can think of plenty of roads that are in terrible shape and like hell to drive on

I HATE HATE HATE driving on those brick streets in downtown Orlando. It's nice that they want to preserve some history as most homes east of downtown were built in the 1920s and some are over 100+ years old, its just a pain driving on them

Sand Lake Road between John Young and OBT by all those industrial warehouses is AWFUL. That's pothole city

West Colonial Drive is pretty bad too, from Kirkman road to the county line in Oakland, awful to drive on. Like the hilly terrain though

Silver Star Rd in Pine Hills looks like it was recently paved, and I always seem to hit SOMETHING when I drive that way

East Osceola Pkwy in the BVL area isn't exactly a pleasure either. Not only is the traffic bad, there is also road construction, and potholes every 3 of 4 feet. I feel sorry for whoever has to drive that road every day.

And GLS I read your post about Lake Underhill being widened from Conway to Rouse. That is a very long stretch of Lake Underhill, that should have been done many years ago, and that project is going to take a LONG time to finish. Thats at least a 7 mile stretch

And they are going to widen East Colonial all the way to Avalon Park Blvd now? Geez the project they have widening it from Semoran to 417 is taking long enough. Once again, something that should have been done at least 10 years ago. On the plus side to this, businesses on East Colonial are so far off the road, there is plenty of room to widen

The good side to Orlando's now slow growth is, if the economy continues to lag while these roads are built, it gives the city/county plenty of time to catch up

Down on my side of town, at the Loop shopping center, they are widening John Young Parkway from 4 to 6 lanes from the Orange Osceola line to somewhere between Osceola Pkwy and 192, forgot where the project stops. They are adding a bridge overpass too like they are at 50 and 436. Cant wait till that gets done

Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM

189 posts, read 435,999 times
wow, finally!! some of these projects are even getting considered now, some of these projects should've been completed years ago.
I'm in the Southchase area, and Wetherbee road is one that should've been finished like 10 years ago at least.
I agree with the Sand Lake Road above ^^^, that strecth is ridiculous!! and its always backed up by traffic.
but its nice to know many street wiill connect, likethe holden ave., canadian court, all american blvd, and others

Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
On the plus side to this, businesses on East Colonial are so far off the road, there is plenty of room to widen
I think that's why businesses are far off the road on 50, so it could be widened in the future. And the good thing about the 50 project is that so far from what Ive seen done over near semoran, the road is very nice. and They are tearing down the old run down businesses and building new business buildings. So maybe 50 wont be such an eye sore when its complete. Its supposed to be a whole re development project. There is a document about it somewhere online. I'll have to look for it.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I think that's why businesses are far off the road on 50, so it could be widened in the future. And the good thing about the 50 project is that so far from what Ive seen done over near semoran, the road is very nice. and They are tearing down the old run down businesses and building new business buildings. So maybe 50 wont be such an eye sore when its complete. Its supposed to be a whole re development project. There is a document about it somewhere online. I'll have to look for it.
It's all good, just so long as Hot Dog Heaven by 436 and 50 doesnt go out ofbusiness. That place is AWESOME!

You may be right about that. The same applies to West Colonial as well.

But when I drive on east colonial between 417 and Alafaya (as far east as i have gone in my car) It has the look and feel of a rural road, only 4 lanes with businesses built far off the road. (a lot are old and run down, especially those buy here pay here car dealerships)

It should have been widened a LONG time ago.

I say this because, before I bought my car, I remember waiting for the lynx bus along 50 right near Alafaya Trail at around 5 or so in the evening.

And the traffic coming from downtown stretched as far as I could see, and some drivers were so desperate not to have to sit at the alafaya light they blocked alafaya trail traffic coming in and out of waterford lakes, by pulling right into the middle of the intersection creating no break in the traffic jam

The poor drivers on Alafaya were trapped at that intersection. They couldnt turn onto Colonial (unless they were turning right) And they coudlnt cross over Colonial to get to UCF or Waterford Lakes (depending on the direction they were driving), that was a disaster

I was so glad i was going towards downtown, and not having to go east that day

Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 8,393 times
Quote:
road construction projects that I notice near me include: the widening of rouse road, dean road from university blvd to 50, widening of 50 all the way to Avalon park blvd, widening of lake underhill from Conway to rouse road, and widening of alafaya from curryford down to Avalon park/innovation way.
I don't see anything about Dean Rd. being widened on OC's website. And honestly, I live in the area and it doesn't seem like there's any widening happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando