Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:04 PM

148 posts, read 377,446 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow HoCo's! I live in Ellicott City now, but used to live in Oviedo and miss it a lot. I'm trying to talk my husband to move back there, as mortgage payments are killing us here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM

61 posts, read 201,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M&J View Post
Hi fellow HoCo's! I live in Ellicott City now, but used to live in Oviedo and miss it a lot. I'm trying to talk my husband to move back there, as mortgage payments are killing us here.
Well hello there! I hear ya, living up there is something else; esp in Howard County. Great community, schools are top-notch and area is beautiful of course, but the prices/living are just is so high.

I do miss it a tad there though and probably will return to visit in October.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
I moved to Gainesville to live with Mom after loosing my job here in Maryland, She put me through phlebotomy school and I got a job at Shands as a phlebotomist and worked for them for 1 year before my best friend called me from maryland and confessed his love for me- not to mention I have a 23 yr. old in maryland thats not living up to his potential- at all. My best friend wanted to get married and suggested that I pack up and move back to MD. I did. He paid for the move and I was delighted to be with son again to get him back on track with college and work . Mom was very much against the move for both reasons but I did not listen. I came back thinking that Son has learned some responsibility living with his half sis and paying his way through life. He has not. He got fired from his pizza job after 3 years and had to move in with us! I have not married my best friend and I have been here since 2011 Oct. Were not getting married ! Anyway I want so much to move back to Florida and leave these two to their own devices. Mom wants me to move back to Florida YESTERDAY but my son may resent me forever eventhough he needs to be in Florida away from his HOMEBOYS(WEED) and enroll in school. I have phlebotomy experience here in MD and in FL. 3 years worth. I love phlebotomy but unsure what to do.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Listen to your gut
Do you want to move to florida, or move away from drama?
They're 2 different things.
Can you afford the move, and do you have a job offer in florida?
I'm sorry things aren't going well for you.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,294 times
We currently live in Montgomery County, MD. We will be retiring to FL but I will do freelance work. We have visited several cities in FL and fell in love with Tampa. We just spent a couple of weeks there and ended up buying a house in Brandon which is about 25 minutes from Tampa. It has everything we have here, shopping, restaurants, etc. and you can drive into Tampa for concerts, plays, bars, etc. We are just outside of Brandon and away from all of the traffic. Apollo Beach is just 15 minutes away. We bought in an older neighborhood with 100 year old Oak trees. We have a 1/2 acre lot. Not typical of a lot of the cookie cutter homes on top of each other. New construction in the area was really cheap. You can get twice the house in Fl that you can in MD, at least where we live. We have an adult son who needs to find employment there once we move and he has made a lot of good contacts. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:27 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrlee View Post
We currently live in Montgomery County, MD. We will be retiring to FL but I will do freelance work. We have visited several cities in FL and fell in love with Tampa. We just spent a couple of weeks there and ended up buying a house in Brandon which is about 25 minutes from Tampa. It has everything we have here, shopping, restaurants, etc. and you can drive into Tampa for concerts, plays, bars, etc. We are just outside of Brandon and away from all of the traffic. Apollo Beach is just 15 minutes away. We bought in an older neighborhood with 100 year old Oak trees. We have a 1/2 acre lot. Not typical of a lot of the cookie cutter homes on top of each other. New construction in the area was really cheap. You can get twice the house in Fl that you can in MD, at least where we live. We have an adult son who needs to find employment there once we move and he has made a lot of good contacts. Good luck!
you LIKE Brandon?
SR 60 is the devil!

Old 06-02-2016, 02:55 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
you LIKE Brandon?
SR 60 is the devil!
It's a purring little kitten in comparison to the Capital Beltway or I-270.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:25 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's a purring little kitten in comparison to the Capital Beltway or I-270.
Nah. I disagree. I just came from spending a week on a project up there. Slow traffic, yes. Outer suburban chaos like SR60? No.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 PM

108 posts, read 118,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flchic View Post
Did I mention the humidity? Holy mother of pearl....it's an oven and I am not kidding. We also get tons of snow birds (people from up north who spend the winters here in FL). They are rude, drive like grandma moses, and are extremely disrespectful. One guy just farted in front of us at the Home Depot check out and it was loud.....he just acted like nothing happenned. On the other hand, my five year was pinching his nose and was ready to set him straight about "not doing that in public."

Hurricanes are inevitable regardless of where you live, I don't care what anyone says. If it's a big enough hurricane, it will get you wherever you live in FL. Look at the FL map...FL is not a wide state, but rather a thin state from left to right so you will feel the effects of the hurricane anywhwere. They may not be as brutal as if you were living in the East or West coast, but you're still going to get major winds and rain. In some parts of FL, we have tornadoes too. You can't run from mother nature.

One thing I never experienced in FL was an earthquake and I do have to say that it rains most days in the summer due to the fact that Hurricane season starts in May and ends in Aug...I think. It's not bad though b/c I love the rain, but I really dispise Florida. Overworked, underpaid, and in debt......yeap, that's it in a nutshell. All flat land and homes are right next to eachother. Traffic is a bear, but it depends on where you live. Ft Myers, Cape Coral, Lehigh, and Ocala didn't have much traffic. Homestead, Perrine, Miami, Ft Lauderdeale, and Orlando are the worst.

I think the Miami area of FL itself won first place in a poll that was taken about road rage. Just wonderful! Shoot out at schools are nothing new. If someone tells you wonderful things about Orlando.....remind them of the shoot out or stabbing they had a few years ago and the child's mom worked at the school. It was in Orange County, but can't remember the school. They were hispanic and two boys argued over a girl, one died.

In Miami, one student just killed another at Coral Gables Sr. High. Heck, I remember that in the early 80's our elementary school was on lockdown b/c of a gang threat....

WHY ANYONE WOULD MOVE TO FLORIDA IS BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION. I am an only child and my entire extended family and my husband's is all in Fl and we go visit once a year....I'm okay the first two days and after that I get tired of gripping the "Oh **** bar" in our SUV. You know, the one that is above our heads by the door. I need nerve pills just to handle the traffic. Maybe I got used to the low keyed environment?
where is traffic good though? From my readings and my travels it seems everyone thinks their locale is special for having bad drivers. Ive lived in New York City, Columbus Ohio and Los Angeles and there are azzwholes everywhere. The drivers on Ohio were atrocious. In LA they are scary bad. Frankly NYC has the bad rap but to me is the best of the 3 (sans the yellow cabbies). It is probably bad everywhere and its more the nature of modern man than any specific to one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando