Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times

Advertisements

Arena that brought NBA to Orlando bids farewell - BostonHerald.com (http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/other_nba/view.bg?&articleid=1247105&format=&page=1&listingT ype=NBA#articleFull - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lr5497 View Post
I will miss the Amway Arena because that is where my graduation was held, other than that i'm looking forward more for the Amway Center. Plus the location of the Amway Arena feels disconnected from downtown, even though it is in downtown.
My graduation was there as well from Lake Brantley, we actually filled the entire lower bowl and had to have some guests seated in the O-zone, that was pretty sweet. Thanks GLS for posting the virtual tour of the new place (wish they would name it The O-Rena II or something better than Amway, but hey they own the team and have put some serious $$$ into the place). I think all I had to do was grieve as any sports fan about the birthplace of your team, now I am totally pumped as many of you guys are about October. As far as concerts are concerned, most big acts have come to either Tampa or Orlando in-spite of our arena not being up to par, it's almost like they flip a coin: Heads ORL, Tails TPA. Anyways, we will have the concert edge for sure once the new Amway is done. I've never had to go to Miami for a concert, guess the bands I like pick Orlando or Tampa, sometimes both not Miami. It truly depends on what kinda music your into and in my experience, Miami and the rest of South Florida, attracts a very different kind of music scene (but I'm sure that's not without exception).

Thanks guys for a positive thread about an Orlando mini-institution, that I agree is very outdated (NBA standards) although young for an arena that is about to become a parking lot.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
There is a new 45 min long video about the new Amway Center on the Amway Center website, I advise you guys to watch it. It thoroughly explains any question or curiosity you may have about the new facility, and takes you all around inside of it. This place is going to blow the Amway arena out of the water. It will be cutting edge and one of a kind, I can't wait till it opens.

The video is titled "A New Home Court". Check it out: Amway Center

Last edited by GLS2010; 04-20-2010 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I was in the Amway again Monday night, and realized that another one of the fundamental problems with it is the design in general. It's almost imposiblle to get from point A to point B in the non-public areas without multiple sets of hallways and sometimes seemingly hidden staircases.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
My first experience at the Orena was attending the NBA All Star stay in school jam. I thought it was the coolest thing. Now as an adult although I'll miss the Orena I'm looking forward to the new events center. I hope one of my next memories will be attending the actual NBA All-Star game here in Orlando very soon.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 PM

Guys, don't forget that when The O-rena opened it actually received the "Arena of the Year" Award and even hosted an NBA All-Star Game, the place was actually pretty nice considering we had to build "something" just to ensure that Orlando got a team and we could always upgrade later. Everyone here has shared some good memories and think how many more great times we're all gonna have once the new building opens.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:37 PM

111 posts, read 342,207 times
I won't miss it. As a relatively tall person (6'4"), those seats are WAY too close together. I look forward to some leg room next season!! Go Magic!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Davis View Post
I won't miss it. As a relatively tall person (6'4"), those seats are WAY too close together. I look forward to some leg room next season!! Go Magic!!!
I'm 6'3" so I know what you mean. Also, I can't stand having to get up when somebody needs to get by you, I know that will be resolved in the new building. I watched Inside Magic after game 2 last night, they did a sneak peak which you can now watch at the Enter Legend website.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Orlando Magic arena: Orlando Magic arena would make a great megachurch, pastor says - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 05-04-2010, 09:23 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
This just in ORLANDO WILL HOST NBA ALL STAR GAME 2012!!!

GO MAGIC!

BELIEVE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando